PDA

View Full Version : I seriously hate my job.

Melodic
June 25th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Correction: I love the IDEA of being a restaurant hostess. Seating and greeting people is the best thing ever.

What I hate is that I've been working for 3 1/2 days and I'm already dreading having to go to work tomorrow.

I've already managed to upset the entire waitstaff for stupid reasons. I sat a bunch of elderly people (who couldn't walk and REQUESTED IT) at a section that wasn't too far for them to walk which pissed off the waiter because I was seating them in his section. Another waitress actually had a meltdown because I sat a group at her section (following server rotation) when nobody told me to do different but because they didn't want the wrath, they are saying they did. Now because of her meltdown, a large percent of my co-workers hate my guts and were talking bad about me in the break room.

I was told by a manager to seat a group at a table in another waitresses even though she said she wanted to go back and eat lunch. Which she bitched at me, I told her what happened, and the manager straight out lied about what she said to me.

Let's also not mention that they forced me to bus tables despite the fact I wasn't even trained to do so and managed dropping everything on the floor and on my uniform.

My coworkers have been less than understanding that this is my first job and I just started actually working Monday. They've expected me to know exactly what I'm doing from the first day.

I'm really upset. I know people say you will have bad days here and there, but I feel this is just too much.

I really want to quit and find another job but I just started and I don't want to ruin the chances of getting another job. I mean, I started orientation on June 13th.

Is this a good idea? Any advice or coping methods?

ThUnDeR
June 25th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately, that is essentially the restaurant business. Hostesses have a very stressful job when busy and they don't get much recognition for it. When I first started my job in a restaurant I had the same feelings as you. I had a couple terrible shifts and wanted to quit. Even I got yelled at by a waitress for accidentally knocking a drink over.

If I were you i'd play it out a bit longer and see if it works out. If you are just not enjoying it at all then I would absolutely quit and find another job. Don't worry about not being able to get another job if you quit. There are plenty of opportunities and they will not punish you for leaving a job you didn't feel comfortable in.

Ultimately, just play it by ear and see how it goes. There are going to be other options if you choose to go that way. Don't stress and everything will work out for you :)

Microcosm
June 25th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Melodic,

That sounds awful! If all that stuff happened to me, I'd be depressed as all hell.

On the bright side, it is a route by which you can practice learning to deal with stress in an environment which has little consequence for mistakes compared to post-college and professional level careers. I honestly don't have any coping methods, but perhaps it's a good experience in how some jobs can be. It'll ultimately make you a stronger person if you can manage to push through it and, if you do manage to push through it, you'll likely discover your own coping methods.

Uranus
June 25th, 2016, 09:34 PM
I would suggest looking for another job. If you're not getting treated properly, then as Tpain says at 0:25 iil7NdI2Q9c "Fuck that place, fuck my boss"
If you do find another job, explain what happened and they should be understanding and willing to offer you a job. If they bitchen bout something, it ain't your problem

Melodic
June 26th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Unfortunately, that is essentially the restaurant business. Hostesses have a very stressful job when busy and they don't get much recognition for it. When I first started my job in a restaurant I had the same feelings as you. I had a couple terrible shifts and wanted to quit. Even I got yelled at by a waitress for accidentally knocking a drink over.

If I were you i'd play it out a bit longer and see if it works out. If you are just not enjoying it at all then I would absolutely quit and find another job. Don't worry about not being able to get another job if you quit. There are plenty of opportunities and they will not punish you for leaving a job you didn't feel comfortable in.

Ultimately, just play it by ear and see how it goes. There are going to be other options if you choose to go that way. Don't stress and everything will work out for you :)

Melodic,

That sounds awful! If all that stuff happened to me, I'd be depressed as all hell.

On the bright side, it is a route by which you can practice learning to deal with stress in an environment which has little consequence for mistakes compared to post-college and professional level careers. I honestly don't have any coping methods, but perhaps it's a good experience in how some jobs can be. It'll ultimately make you a stronger person if you can manage to push through it and, if you do manage to push through it, you'll likely discover your own coping methods.

I would suggest looking for another job. If you're not getting treated properly, then as Tpain says at 0:25 iil7NdI2Q9c "Fuck that place, fuck my boss"
If you do find another job, explain what happened and they should be understanding and willing to offer you a job. If they bitchen bout something, it ain't your problem

Thanks for your advice and tips.

After rereading this advice over and over, I'm heading off to work today. Given that it's the busiest and most hectic day of the week, I feel I'll have a pretty clear idea of whether I want to continue working there or not. Honestly, I don't really expect it to get much better so I'm already mentally preparing myself to give a letter of resignation after I receive next weeks schedule.

Croconaw
June 26th, 2016, 08:33 AM
You seem to be really unhappy with your job. I don't know what your experience has been, but for me, it was really hard to get a job. Most of them wanted me to change my hair color. It was dyed red, and not the natural kind of red either. Still, nobody else has called me back since I had my job. I also feel like the only reason they let me in is because my dad works there also. It is extremely hard to get a first job, so I think it is important to stick with it, but you sound like you really want to leave. I would keep in mind the difficulty of finding a new job. Maybe you should write in some new applications, and then quit when one store calls you back in.

Melodic
June 26th, 2016, 02:29 PM
You seem to be really unhappy with your job. I don't know what your experience has been, but for me, it was really hard to get a job. Most of them wanted me to change my hair color. It was dyed red, and not the natural kind of red either. Still, nobody else has called me back since I had my job. I also feel like the only reason they let me in is because my dad works there also. It is extremely hard to get a first job, so I think it is important to stick with it, but you sound like you really want to leave. I would keep in mind the difficulty of finding a new job. Maybe you should write in some new applications, and then quit when one store calls you back in.

I was really furious but I worked out my problems with all of the staff today. I doubt I'll keep the job forever but I don't think I'm gonna quit yet.

ashdyn
June 26th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Omg that happened to my GF too. Except most of the staff liked her but middle management basically hated her for no reason...a few waiters that had been working there way too long I guess we're talking shit about her.

She stuck it out for 2 years. So me days were good some were bad but she finally quit when it turned into one horrible day after another. I would say just try to ride out the storm fir now. I mean you just started. Everyone will eventually move on and maybe you can start making connections. Try to find out what everyone's preferences are so you'll know what to do when nonstandard situations pop up.

I know when I started the job I have as a referee I hated it for the entire first two weeks. Then I realized I was only getting paid that much because my job was to basically accept all the verbal abuse from parents so kids wouldn't get it lol determine how much you need the money/job and see if it's worth staying for. If not keep the job for now and start looking elsewhere.

Cognizant
June 28th, 2016, 03:52 AM
I worked at a Pizza Parlor for a day.
A. Day.

Now granted, I quit after a day because I had just gotten a job lined up for me at Walgreens the next day and I was ready to leave the pizza parlor from the moment I clocked in. Some might say I was crazy, and yes, "remember the day Patrick worked at Pizza My Heart for one day LOLOL" is a thing my squad says. But honestly? There's no shame in quitting and trying something else. You just gotta find a good hit with you.

My first job was spent a year and a half at Jamba Juice. It had it's up and downs, and I could tell when it was an appropriate time for me to move on. Then I worked at a Panera Bread for a few months, and I absolutely hated it. I didn't befriend *any* of my coworkers, the customers were annoying, and I had massive problems with my schedule, even though things started to improve slightly. The best thing I could've done is quit (though I was fired at the time when I was getting ready to quit), because I knew it wasn't a place I could be happy. Walgreens is great for me. I love the people, the job is easy enough, the hours are great. You just gotta find that home run, because even if you're on good terms with your coworkers does not mean you're going to love your job.

Melodic
June 30th, 2016, 02:06 PM
UPDATE:

Well. I gave them another chance and now I'm only scheduled two days for four hours this upcoming week which I'm really pissed about. Given that most of the other hosts (who are also teenagers) have complained about working double shifts this week, I'm assuming that it has something to do with me and/or what happened last week.

Regardless, I don't really care much at this point to talk about it to the manager so I'm currently in the process of looking for another job. But I'm keeping this job until I can find another one.

jamie_n5
July 10th, 2016, 08:13 PM
I work at Pizza Hut and hear you about bitching and flack. I think you need to stand you ground do your job and just don't let the other employees get under your skin. You obviously need to listen to and do what the manager says. Good luck to you and hang in there.

Melodic
July 15th, 2016, 04:02 PM
FINAL UPDATE:

The workload has improved, the environment and my schedule has not. Even though I said I wouldn't, I realized I should at least try to talk to management. No surprise, they didn't care. I probably would've regretted not talking to them first so I'm glad I did.

On a bright side.......

I've applied for ten jobs and got 5 interviews! I'm so happy right now.

I'm waiting for two places to call me back to schedule me for a second interview. With any luck, I'll most likely have a new job by the end of the month.