PDA

View Full Version : Doing a computer case mod

bfldworker
June 20th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Got a question.
I have a idea for a computer case mod, it will involve cutting of the side panel. Can anyone suggest which Dremel bits I should use to make this easier, I got the lighting, fans, and everything else that I want, it is the which bit to use to cut part. If it helps, the case is a Rosewill Challenger S case.

Sasha M
June 20th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Use the most pointy one and make a clean cut.
What mod?

Flapjack
July 20th, 2016, 06:07 PM
I'd say just get a new case buddy!!:)

Skylark
July 21st, 2016, 10:26 AM
I'd say just get a new case buddy!!:)

Well that completely defies the purpose of the mod. Cmon.

Got a question.
I have a idea for a computer case mod, it will involve cutting of the side panel. Can anyone suggest which Dremel bits I should use to make this easier, I got the lighting, fans, and everything else that I want, it is the which bit to use to cut part. If it helps, the case is a Rosewill Challenger S case.

I did a case mod with the Bitfenix Nova and I used a 1.5" Dremel reinforced cutting disc, I forget what the actual tool model was :P Came out great, wanted to install a nepton 240m and had fans in the front, so I (with some help fom my dad, of course) cut out a piece of the top panel and replaced it with a more rad-friendly one :D

What, may I inquire, is the nature of the mod you wish to perform? The bit may depend on that.

Posts merged. Please use the multi quote button. -Alluring

ethan-s
July 21st, 2016, 12:28 PM
You will want to use a small cutting wheel. Get a few packs because they burn up quick. After you cut it, use a sanding wheel around the edges to de-burr and then a buffing wheel.

Flapjack
July 21st, 2016, 01:29 PM
If the OP enjoys modding then yeah but if he just wants to improve the case then it will be better and easier to just buy a new case.

GeneralSkrubz
July 21st, 2016, 01:39 PM
Got a question.

HEY :D My computer is an open mod, so I had to do this, you want a Dremel 1/8in to cut through, buy like, 2 or 3 just in case, then you want to get sand paper to buff out the edges, hand buff it in my opinion, by folding the paper over your index finger, then moving up and down the side you wanna buff.

bfldworker
July 30th, 2016, 08:58 PM

I did a case mod with the Bitfenix Nova and I used a 1.5" Dremel reinforced cutting disc, I forget what the actual tool model was :P Came out great, wanted to install a nepton 240m and had fans in the front, so I (with some help fom my dad, of course) cut out a piece of the top panel and replaced it with a more rad-friendly one :D

What, may I inquire, is the nature of the mod you wish to perform? The bit may depend on that.

Posts merged. Please use the multi quote button. -Alluring

I am a science fiction nerd and a few years ago I read in a Maximum PC issue about a Battlestar Galactica mod that someone by the handle of Boddecker did. I however want to do a mod based on the Daedalus class Battle Cruiser from Stargate.

bfldworker
July 30th, 2016, 08:58 PM
If the OP enjoys modding then yeah but if he just wants to improve the case then it will be better and easier to just buy a new case.

Improve, no. Customizing it, yes.

Skylark
July 31st, 2016, 07:58 AM
I am a science fiction nerd and a few years ago I read in a Maximum PC issue about a Battlestar Galactica mod that someone by the handle of Boddecker did. I however want to do a mod based on the Daedalus class Battle Cruiser from Stargate.

Oh. I'm not totally great with cosmetic mods.

I've taken a look at the ship you're talking about, and just wondering: do you want to put it lengthwise down the front of the case? or on top of it or something? cause that seems the only doable thing for my skills (which aren't that great anyway) idk about yours.

bfldworker
July 31st, 2016, 08:33 AM
Oh. I'm not totally great with cosmetic mods.

I've taken a look at the ship you're talking about, and just wondering: do you want to put it lengthwise down the front of the case? or on top of it or something? cause that seems the only doable thing for my skills (which aren't that great anyway) idk about yours.

I am looking to remake the main hull and leave the flight pods out. I know I will need to cut out part of the case and add to it. It's the tools I am fuzzy on.