PDA

View Full Version : Straight Edge

BrokenWingedPegasus
June 19th, 2016, 05:12 PM
I think this belongs here, since it's related to Alcohol and drugs, if not, I'd appreciate if the mods would move to where it should be.

I made this thread to know if there are straight edge people here, and I wanted to answer questions about a straight edge lifestyle, like common misconceptions people might have. I'm straight edge, if you don't know what it means, it means that I'm drug free, alcohol free and tobacco free. So, I'd like to help people maybe wanting to 'join' this lifestyle, and get people more informed about it! Please ask any questions you want to about Straight Edge.

warbit
June 19th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Hey, my only question is why... I respect that you want to live a healthy lifestyle and don't get me wrong, I do too. I have always said that I would never do any drugs or smoke because I feel that doing that stuff is degrading. However, with regards to alcohol, I drink a fair bit but not an excessive amount because I know the dangers and I know that small,amounts isn't harmful. Therefor I see nothing wrong with having a controlled amount of alcohol because it isn't damaging, it is enjoyable and if you are like me, then alcohol based drinks taste good too! So why don't you drink at all. Also, most thinks that we eat and drink today has drugs in anyway so do you not drink coffee because of caffeine Idk. I'm not judging, I'm just interested :) Thanks

BrokenWingedPegasus
June 20th, 2016, 04:04 AM
Hey, my only question is why... I respect that you want to live a healthy lifestyle and don't get me wrong, I do too. I have always said that I would never do any drugs or smoke because I feel that doing that stuff is degrading. However, with regards to alcohol, I drink a fair bit but not an excessive amount because I know the dangers and I know that small,amounts isn't harmful. Therefor I see nothing wrong with having a controlled amount of alcohol because it isn't damaging, it is enjoyable and if you are like me, then alcohol based drinks taste good too! So why don't you drink at all. Also, most thinks that we eat and drink today has drugs in anyway so do you not drink coffee because of caffeine Idk. I'm not judging, I'm just interested :) Thanks

Well, most drugs and alcohol have their problems - they can be addictive. I've know some people like you IRL, they drank controlled amounts or just smoke very few times, but they got addicted. I don't want to get addicted, and plus I think I've seen alcohol isn't too healthy to drink, even if it's small amounts. I do respect however people that drink like you do, though I prefer staying away from it. By the way, I'm not saying you'll get addicted, I'm just saying I've seen similar cases that led to addiction.
If what we drink and eat has drugs, the drugs aren't supposed to be there. That's why I eat food and drink non alcoholic beverages normally. When someone drinks a beer for example, they know there's alcohol in there. That's the difference. I don't drink coffee because I'm young and my mom never let me, I tasted once and it was 'meh' for me. An apple in the morning wakes you up better than coffee, actually. No problem, I hope more people are interested, and if you have any other questions you can ask :) Thank you.

warbit
June 21st, 2016, 06:03 PM
Well, most drugs and alcohol have their problems - they can be addictive. I've know some people like you IRL, they drank controlled amounts or just smoke very few times, but they got addicted. I don't want to get addicted, and plus I think I've seen alcohol isn't too healthy to drink, even if it's small amounts. I do respect however people that drink like you do, though I prefer staying away from it. By the way, I'm not saying you'll get addicted, I'm just saying I've seen similar cases that led to addiction.
If what we drink and eat has drugs, the drugs aren't supposed to be there. That's why I eat food and drink non alcoholic beverages normally. When someone drinks a beer for example, they know there's alcohol in there. That's the difference. I don't drink coffee because I'm young and my mom never let me, I tasted once and it was 'meh' for me. An apple in the morning wakes you up better than coffee, actually. No problem, I hope more people are interested, and if you have any other questions you can ask :) Thank you.

Fair enough :) My only problem with the addiction thing is that you will find that 90% of alcoholism is caused by stress from work, relationships etc. If you drink purely because you like the taste, like myself, then there is a very low chance of getting an addiction. So yeah, fair enough man :) Thanks

SethfromMI
June 21st, 2016, 06:05 PM
I think this belongs here, since it's related to Alcohol and drugs, if not, I'd appreciate if the mods would move to where it should be.

I made this thread to know if there are straight edge people here, and I wanted to answer questions about a straight edge lifestyle, like common misconceptions people might have. I'm straight edge, if you don't know what it means, it means that I'm drug free, alcohol free and tobacco free. So, I'd like to help people maybe wanting to 'join' this lifestyle, and get people more informed about it! Please ask any questions you want to about Straight Edge.

I am completely drug, alcohol, and tobacco free as well. woohoo

Jerry123123
June 21st, 2016, 07:39 PM
What's wrong with having a couple beers once in a while?

BrokenWingedPegasus
June 22nd, 2016, 04:48 AM
I am completely drug, alcohol, and tobacco free as well. woohoo
That's awesome :)

Fair enough :) My only problem with the addiction thing is that you will find that 90% of alcoholism is caused by stress from work, relationships etc. If you drink purely because you like the taste, like myself, then there is a very low chance of getting an addiction. So yeah, fair enough man :) Thanks

I know, but people that drink from stress and depression don't drink like you do, they normally drink quite a lot and more often, though I think that doesn't help too much, since it may distract them for the moment and cause problems, that explains why the way you drink won't get you addicted that often. But yeah, I don't judge people if they drink or not, but I like my ways. :) Thank you too.

What's wrong with having a couple beers once in a while?

Where did I say it was wrong? I've only said I preferred to stay away from that. I'm not saying it's wrong, even if it has its problems, I can still respect people who drink. You get what I mean?

Jinglebottom
June 22nd, 2016, 09:13 AM
I'm straight edge, you could say. I despise tobacco with a passion, don't see the point in doing drugs (even the "soft" ones) and alcohol doesn't interest me, nor do I plan on drinking when I'm older. I'm simply not about that life lol.

Periphery
June 22nd, 2016, 09:45 AM
I only drink but clean on the rest. Never plan on smoking or drugs either.

Just JT
June 22nd, 2016, 01:39 PM
I can't say I am, or always will be alcohol or drug free myself. Im not a particular fan of drugs, especially hard drugs as they had a huge impact on my family. However, yeah, from time to time I indulge cut loose and blow off some steam. Is it a stress reliever, fuck hell yeah it is. And I know that's not a good sign. But it's how I do and what I know. It's what I was taught. Not saying that makes it right, cause I know it's wrong. But I also don't see any harm in moderation. But also moderation, and dependency, are closely related from what I can see. Or at least in the users perspective.
Ill probably my always struggle to some degree with this.

devotionnel
June 22nd, 2016, 02:21 PM
Although I'm too young to do any of these, I've planned to stay clean from all when it becomes legal to drink and smoke. Mainly after trying alcohol a couple times and not being able to cope (even pathetic little alcopops) I get really ill after so I don't benefit from drinking like some other people do. I won't smoke - I haven't tried it nor want to - because of health reasons and drugs seem to be a dangerous path to walk down. I'll obviously use medical drugs like paracetamol and I'll drink drinks that contain caffeine and things like that, but not recreationally.

Vermilion
June 22nd, 2016, 03:14 PM
Not trying to be a dick but a drug is any substance/chemical that effects the body. So I don't think anyone on here is drug free. Also tobacco and alcohol are drugs

Just JT
June 22nd, 2016, 03:21 PM
Not trying to be a dick but a drug is any substance/chemical that effects the body. So I don't think anyone on here is drug free. Also tobacco and alcohol are drugs

You my good friend are absolutely correct....

BrokenWingedPegasus
June 22nd, 2016, 04:10 PM

So, is food considered a drug? I mean, it does affect the body physically and psychologically...
I consider 'drug' a substance that wouldn't be used for good effects and with controlled effects. So, medicine is not a drug as long as you take it like the doctor says. What I mean by 'drugs' is 'bad drugs'. Like, I don't consider medicine or food drugs (Yes, medicine is technically drugs, but it's good ones without bad effects when used correctly). I don't know if you were really trying to not be a dick or anything, but you kind of were, sorry. Is it because you don't like straight edge people or something? :(

lyhom
June 22nd, 2016, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't call myself straight edge but I don't really plan on doing much tbh

like most recreational drugs don't interest me, tobacco is fucking gross, and the alcohol I've had was all gross (although it's mostly been beer, with a sip or fireball and a cocktail or something like that that I thought was iced tea inbetween lmao)

Vermilion
June 23rd, 2016, 12:25 AM
So, is food considered a drug? I mean, it does affect the body physically and psychologically...
I consider 'drug' a substance that wouldn't be used for good effects and with controlled effects. So, medicine is not a drug as long as you take it like the doctor says. What I mean by 'drugs' is 'bad drugs'. Like, I don't consider medicine or food drugs (Yes, medicine is technically drugs, but it's good ones without bad effects when used correctly). I don't know if you were really trying to not be a dick or anything, but you kind of were, sorry. Is it because you don't like straight edge people or something? :(

I have nothing against what you choose to do. I don't smoke and I very rarely drink.
The chemicals in some foods are drugs.
My point was the term drug was misused. And medication can have bad effects even when used properly

BrokenWingedPegasus
June 23rd, 2016, 03:32 AM
I have nothing against what you choose to do. I don't smoke and I very rarely drink.
The chemicals in some foods are drugs.
My point was the term drug was misused. And medication can have bad effects even when used properly
Look, yeah, I get it that the term is misused. But there are many terms in real life that are misused so much they're accepted. Like nucleic acids, they were named like that because they were found in the nucleus of the cell, but they're not only there, so the name is technically wrongly used, but since it has been used so many times it's considered correct, you know what I mean? I know you're technically right about drugs, but when people say drugs, they mostly mean the recreational ones, and the commonly seen as 'bad' ones. (Caffeine can have recreational use, but it's not usually seen as a bad drug to people) I wasn't lying when I said I was drug free. It's just that it's easier to say drug free than 'recreational drugs free' or something.

jamie_n5
June 29th, 2016, 09:37 PM
I am glad that you stick to your beliefs. Keep up the good work and don't let anyone move you.

Ranpo
June 29th, 2016, 10:28 PM
I'm straight-edge and don't plan to change. I',ve never had any interest in smoking, drinking or being around people who do. I can't say that I judge others that do because I honestly don't give them a second thought. My reasons are simply because my personality is awesome without being high or drunk, I don't need anything to stimulate me.

Reghan
July 7th, 2016, 01:29 AM
I was a straight edge last week, but I decided to try pot with my roommate so I guess I'm not anymore...

awsomekid23
September 12th, 2016, 11:30 PM
See no point of drugs.

The Byrd
September 14th, 2016, 01:11 PM
See no point of drugs.

Marijuana has plenty of positive health effects.

Periphery
September 14th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Marijuana has plenty of positive health effects.

Then there's the other 3839294749 drugs that ruin your life.

However medical marijuana is great though

The Byrd
September 14th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Then there's the other 3839294749 drugs that ruin your life.

However medical marijuana is great though

Marijuana should be legalised.

Living For Love
September 15th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Please don't bump old threads. :locked: