PDA

View Full Version : Camping next weekend.

Cadanance00
June 15th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Up in the Arbuckle mountains, (just big hills) Rattlesnake capitol of the world. Last year we saw 3 in one day.

So far, me and my dad. We're backcountry camping. Mom prefers car camping, her idea of roughing it is slow room service. That's an exaggeration, she likes getting out in nature. I hope she goes and I hope sis will go too. She's an outdoorzy type.

Last year there was midnight skinny dipping and what must have been a million lightning bugs. Pure magic.

FlyOnTheWall
June 15th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I have never been camping as my brothers in a wheelchair

Cadanance00
June 15th, 2016, 04:56 PM

Sorry you haven't. Actually there are handicapped accessible campsites all over here in the US. It's the law in national parks and commercial camps.

Maybe there's something like that in Ireland.

sdavid54321
June 15th, 2016, 05:22 PM
cool sounds like fun i am going to camp next month i cant wait

Just JT
June 15th, 2016, 06:42 PM

Just cause your brothers in a wheelchair shouldn't stop him, you or your family from doing fun things you all enjoy or trying new things. I've volunteered in an adaptive sports program, believe me, there's stuff that'll make it seem easy once you get used to it, and I'm sure he'll have a blast!!!

Sorry you haven't. Actually there are handicapped accessible campsites all over here in the US. It's the law in national parks and commercial camps.

Maybe there's something like that in Ireland.

I agree, you should look, it's worth it!!

FlyOnTheWall
June 16th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Just cause your brothers in a wheelchair shouldn't stop him, you or your family from doing fun things you all enjoy or trying new things. I've volunteered in an adaptive sports program, believe me, there's stuff that'll make it seem easy once you get used to it, and I'm sure he'll have a blast!!!

I agree, you should look, it's worth it!!

I live in ireland theres nothing like that over here

Just JT
June 16th, 2016, 04:29 AM
I live in ireland theres nothing like that over here

Not saying they have camping, or even this is the right program for your brother. But a Google search brought this up. I'll bet there's more. And if not, and you don't already know, I'm sure along the way you cal learn how to make it happen for him if you wana.

If nor, set the bar, do something nobody else is, for people who will get something outa it. Think about that a minute, you could change someone's life and make it better....

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Participation/Sports_Inclusion/

Cadanance00
June 16th, 2016, 09:16 AM
There will be almost a full moon this weekend so maybe we can swim at night. We were talking about going up tomorrow night so we get 2 nights there, but mom won't go if we do. She says she has too much to do to get ready. And she packs heavy. Everybody has to carry some of the stuff she wants to take. I hope she comes anyway. The more people the more there is to talk about. Also she's about the most easy going person in the world. Dad's sort of do-this-do-that.

If we go Sat we have to start early in the morning, it's almost a 3 hour drive. We neetd to find a good tent site before dinnertime so we have a chance to set up and enjoy the woods. Nothing's worse than being rushed to set up camp when it's getting dark.

nekid
June 18th, 2016, 09:33 AM
That sounds like so much fun

Cadanance00
June 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Camping report:
Got an early start Sat morning. Mom came with us. Me, sis, dad, & mom only. Bro was going to come but cancelled TG. We got a camping place in the state park since we got there early & set up tents. Went hiking along the top of the mountain (large hill other places). There are lots of wind turbines up there now and roads so the people can get to them. That makes it not really wilderness but it's a lot easier to walk. It was hot, dry and windy. Had lots of water and drank it all. Navigated with a topo chart and compass. Had GPS and phone signal the whole time but it was a lot more fun with the chard. The turbines weren't on the chart so we found their position and put them on. Heard, but did not see, a rattlesnake. Didn't stick around to investigate, either.
Got back to camp and rested before dinner, then went down to the river and walked upstream to a pool to swim in. It was getting dusk, my favorite time of day. It was the most amazing swim and when it got dark the moon was full and so bright you could read by it. We had the place to ourselves until about 10 when a couple showed up but they were a lot more interested in making out with each other than they were in talking to us. We filled the water jugs for boiling and went back up the hill to camp.
The bugs weren't too bad. Mosquitos less than I expected. Dad boiled the water on a camp stove. It was too hot to have a fire. Sis and I zipped our sleeping bags together to use as a mattress and slept on top of them under a sheet as it was hot. Deer came through in the middle of the night and snorted at the tents and stomped with their hooves. It sounded like a herd of elephants. Sis though it was a bear and got scared. About 5 in the morning it got cold and we got inside the bags, but it was too hot then.
Mom brought eggs & butter to make breakfast & it was like the best I ever had. Dad made coffee. I don't drink coffee but I made an exception yesterday. My turn to wash dishes in about a quart and a half of water. Try that!
We hiked up the mountain on the other side of the river and found a shale outcropping that sloped up at about a 45 degree angle. I brought my rock hammer to look for fossils. Dad said if there were any, they'd be here. So I chipped and hammered for hours. Sis was walking along the road at the bottom of the scree and picked up a rock and said, "Is this a fossil?" Of course she knew it was. It is a perfect trilobite from like 400 million years ago. All I got was some snails and worms (maybe). I'll post a picture of it when I can. I'm jealous.
We went swimming again before we left but this time there were hikers up and down the river so we wore suits. Struck camp in late afternoon and got home about dark. Awesome weekend. Magic time.

Just JT
June 20th, 2016, 11:27 AM
That sounds like a amazing weekend, awesome!!!
There's nothing better than all of thats

Barbara.
June 24th, 2016, 08:56 AM
My aunt and uncle has a camper,and camp with them at times. Love the outdoors.

Bull
June 24th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Kayden, we have been to that area many times over the years and always enjoy camping there. Glad you had fun and sorry you didn't get a final skinny dip before heading back to Texas. My brother and I also enjoy wilderness camping in New Mexico and Colorado where there are real mountains.

Cadanance00
July 7th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Kayden, we have been to that area many times over the years and always enjoy camping there. Glad you had fun and sorry you didn't get a final skinny dip before heading back to Texas. My brother and I also enjoy wilderness camping in New Mexico and Colorado where there are real mountains.

Glad you've been there. Beautiful place but real mountains would be a vast improvement.

Flapjack
July 7th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I want to go camping now:p Hope you have fun buddy!!

Just JT
July 7th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I want to go camping now:p Hope you have fun buddy!!

He already went lol!!
But if you wana go, come on over, you can go with me next time, got my own tent, can bunk with me lol!!

lliam
July 7th, 2016, 03:11 PM
in a few weeks I go camping with friends in wales. hope to meet some knockers.

Just JT
July 7th, 2016, 09:14 PM
in a few weeks I go camping with friends in wales. hope to meet some knockers.

It's a language thing I sure, but what are "knockers"?

heresjohnny
July 8th, 2016, 11:56 AM
It's a language thing I sure, but what are "knockers"?

:lol:

jamie_n5
July 22nd, 2016, 07:52 PM
How did your trip go? I hope that you had a great time.

Madison519
September 6th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I've only camped once with a few girls, mostly older. Nature is beautiful, but awkward too. It's probably not for me, though I'd try it again with different company.

Madison519
September 6th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Your camping reports sounds wonderful! I could see enjoying nature with a bf. So far, I've only camped once with a group of girls and found it more awkward than enjoyable. Couldn't wait to get home to a hot shower!

sara___
September 20th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Up in the Arbuckle mountains, (just big hills) Rattlesnake capitol of the world. Last year we saw 3 in one day.

So far, me and my dad. We're backcountry camping. Mom prefers car camping, her idea of roughing it is slow room service. That's an exaggeration, she likes getting out in nature. I hope she goes and I hope sis will go too. She's an outdoorzy type.

Last year there was midnight skinny dipping and what must have been a million lightning bugs. Pure magic.

lol . beside you and the bugs who else skinny dipped?

LITTLEANGEL17
September 25th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Yea been camping with a group of girlfriends and also went skinny-dipping we enjoyed it a lot, roll on next summer.
I have also been naturist camping quite a few times all my life. :yes: