PDA

View Full Version : Therapy dog?

Croconaw
June 11th, 2016, 01:16 AM
I went to the pet store today and I saw the cutest little mastiff dog. I loved him so much. I was putting my hand up to the glass and he was licking where my hand was placed. He was so adorable and now I really want a mastiff. I'm pretty sure I'm moving into these new apartments that open in September, but they only allow therapy dogs. I was thinking of asking the apartment workers, or whatever they're called, if I could have a therapy dog. I'm sure the process of getting a therapy dog is much more difficult than I think. I really want a dog that can stay at my apartment because they make me happy! I would be really upset to see that mastiff go, but I don't have any money to reserve him. ): Oh, well. Maybe I can find another mastiff if this one happens to be sold.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a therapy dog? What is the process of getting one in an apartment that only allows therapy pets? Would they even allow a dog like a mastiff, or would I need to get a smaller dog?

I'll always have a picture of the cute mastiff I saw today, so it won't be all bad if I don't get to purchase him.

Just JT
June 15th, 2016, 04:09 AM
I was almost don't with a nice,long post about service dogs and realized your asking about therapy dogs lol!!! Sorry!!

But therapy dogs are great!!! They can bring someone some huge Benifits and help cheer people, and help heal by stimulating things inside the body. Not to mention just being with a dog, having a companion. I know there is training and some testing to check the dogs personality to see if the dog will be comparable with being a therapy dog.

If you think you'd benefit from one, think the forst place I'd start is with your therapist. The therapist will basically write a note saying how you'd benefit from having one and give that to the apartment people. That should work.

But keep in mind, not any dog will be an official "therapy dog" that might take some time to get what yiur looking for and will work for where you live
Dogs are a lot of work to, need exercise, lots of it. And walking a dog on a leash isn't really exercise. They may need it when you don't wana, but that's not guna matter. They are helping you, so taking care of them is just as important so....

Croconaw
June 15th, 2016, 06:16 PM
I was almost don't with a nice,long post about service dogs and realized your asking about therapy dogs lol!!! Sorry!!

But therapy dogs are great!!! They can bring someone some huge Benifits and help cheer people, and help heal by stimulating things inside the body. Not to mention just being with a dog, having a companion. I know there is training and some testing to check the dogs personality to see if the dog will be comparable with being a therapy dog.

If you think you'd benefit from one, think the forst place I'd start is with your therapist. The therapist will basically write a note saying how you'd benefit from having one and give that to the apartment people. That should work.

But keep in mind, not any dog will be an official "therapy dog" that might take some time to get what yiur looking for and will work for where you live
Dogs are a lot of work to, need exercise, lots of it. And walking a dog on a leash isn't really exercise. They may need it when you don't wana, but that's not guna matter. They are helping you, so taking care of them is just as important so....
I don't think I need a therapy dog. I mean I want to lie and say I need a therapy dog, so I can have a pet. It's hard to find reasonably priced apartments that allow pets. I really do not think I would benefit from having one. Could I get in trouble for doing something like lying about needing a therapy dog?

Just JT
June 15th, 2016, 06:38 PM
I don't think I need a therapy dog. I mean I want to lie and say I need a therapy dog, so I can have a pet. It's hard to find reasonably priced apartments that allow pets. I really do not think I would benefit from having one. Could I get in trouble for doing something like lying about needing a therapy dog?

Are you serious?

Uhmm, so hw you think someone who really needs a therapy dog would feel reading this thread?

jamie_n5
July 22nd, 2016, 07:58 PM
I think you need proof from a doctor and you can't just pick any dog. Therapy dogs are trained and very expensive. Sorry to burst your bubble.