PDA

View Full Version : I Saved a Runaway Dog

The Trendy Wolf
June 9th, 2016, 11:44 AM
As I was returning from hitting some golf balls at the driving range, my dad and I noticed a guy jogging behind a little white dog, which appeared to have something red (perhaps a cast?) on his front leg. The dog looked to be a Jack Russel mix of sorts. Soon we realize that the dog is on the run and is not out for a jog with the man. About three others follow behind him and continue into my cul-de-sac. I tell my dad I am going to help out and I leap from the passenger side door. I run to the group, and I see the dog run between two houses.

I continue behind the houses, asking which way he went, and the response was uncertain. I walk around for about 30 seconds before hearing someone calling out. I look down a steep slope into the woods that I am familiar with, which encircles the end of my cul-de-sac and continues along side the neighborhood behind us. I see the dog running through the woods and hear others pointing him out. I am the furthest along the crest of the slope in order to intercept the dog, so I sprint down and follow the dog.

I attempt to catch the dog and hold him, but he does not allow it and nips me gently. I keep behind him, now realizing that nobody knows where I am and I can no longer see any of the group. The dog comes to a shallow creek, leaps in, and sneaks across. I do the same and jogging is now the fastest I can move, and I start getting that bloody taste in my mouth. The dog reaches the park path and follows it back to the entrance, about 3/4 of a mile. He turns around and goes approximately 100-200 feet before turning right into some brush which separates the park from another neighborhood. I stop to catch my breath before continuing into the same gap the dog had taken. I can no longer see him and I emerge from someone's backyard with no sign of him. A passing car informs me that the dog went "that way" and I walk on the sidewalk in that direction.

I know the dog was moving faster than me at this point, but I couldn't muster the energy to keep jogging. I walk for at least 5 minutes before I unexpectedly spot the dog once more on the other side of the road. He's running back towards my direction, so I cross the street to confront him. He turns onto a house's front porch and starts scratching at the door. I see that the redness on his leg was actually blood, and that he had an IV still taped on. He frantically tries to get in, but he's getting blood all over the porch, door, and window, so I try to pull him away. That is when he bites me and retreats to the corner of the porch. I knock on the door, but nobody answers, and I still don't know if this is even his house.

I can only hope he doesn't move while I run to the next door house for help, and a woman answers. I explain what had happened and she grabs a blanket and follows me. When we return, we see the owner of the house in the driveway utterly baffled at what was happening. I tell him everything and he goes inside to get a bowl of water. The dog is still cornered and begins licking his bloody leg. We have no clue where he came from or how he was able to run on his leg.

My brother passes by in his truck as he is looking for me and I call out to him. He joins us on the porch and gets the number on the dog's collar. Doing so was difficult as none of us wanted to be bitten again. We learn the dog's name in Shatzie, and upon further examination, I see that it says he's deaf. My brother calls the number but there is no answer. The owner of the house contacts animal control and they send an officer.

At this point, my brother decides to call my dad, and after about a minute of explanation, my dad tells him that a woman had just rolled up saying she had a lost dog. He tells her that we have it at the address described, but when we ask for the dog's name, she tells us "Salisbury", and that he was a black dog. My dad tells her that it wasn't her dog and her worrying continued as she drove off.

About ten minutes pass before animal control showed up to take the dog to the nearest clinic. Before leaving I fill some information given the fact that I had been bitten by an unknown dog.

My dad arrives to take me to the urgent care clinic nearby, where they clean and dress my wound (It's called "urgent care" despite the patients not having an emergency, so there was no real rush to get help). There was almost no pain whatsoever. My dad gets a call saying that the dog's rabies shots were good for the next 6 months, so we were cleared in that respect. He also tells me that the dog had originally escaped from the same hospital which animal control had returned him to. He said that he slipped out of his leash while an employee was walking him outside and he ran off before anything could be done.

The dog had been missing for hours before he finally wound up miles from where he escaped.

Later we were told that the dog was doing better and that he would be going home the next day. In addition to this, there may also be a small reward for retrieving him (mostly to cover the $50 co-pay at the clinic).

I am always open to helping people find lost animals, no matter the time, as I just care for animals so greatly. This is the first instance, however, that if I had not been there, the dog may have evaded capture for much longer or entirely. Knowing this felt pretty good, but the feeling I had was more that of satisfaction than anything.

Well, I probably explained this story in a much too detailed fashion, but that's just how I do it, I guess. Thanks for reading!

Flapjack
June 9th, 2016, 11:53 AM
N'awwwwrrr good for you buddy!!!! You are so awesome!:)

Feraligatr
June 9th, 2016, 09:36 PM
I love dogs. That's awesome. :)

Dalcourt
June 9th, 2016, 09:42 PM
That was really awesome. well done :)

DriveAlive
June 9th, 2016, 11:36 PM
Great job! That is more than most people would do.

BrokenWingedPegasus
June 12th, 2016, 03:00 PM
That's really incredible, great job! More people should be like you :)

everlong
June 15th, 2016, 02:31 PM
There needs to be more people like you in the world