PDA

View Full Version : Really nervous to walk at graduation!

Feraligatr
June 7th, 2016, 10:15 PM
My graduation is coming up on June 10th, and my school is holding practices on June 8th and June 9th. The thing is, I have social anxiety and am really nervous to walk in front of everyone. I become really embarrassed when people clap for me because it makes me the center of attention and my face turns red. I really want to walk and I know I'll never see anyone from my school again after the 10th, but I'm really nervous. I don't like being center of attention. It's not just for graduation. I don't like being center of attention anywhere because it feels like all eyes are on me, and I know all eyes will be on me when they hand me that diploma. :(

I'm not nervous right now but I feel like I'll chicken out on June 10th and not want to walk. My graduation class isn't even that big. I went to a small school!

Does anyone have any advice?

Amethyst Rose
June 7th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Don't think about all the people there. Pretend they're stuffed animals, whatever you like, anything that wouldn't make you nervous while talking. And as for being the center of attention during the applause and receiving your diploma... that's a big moment, be proud to be the center of attention! They're clapping because they're happy for you, not because they've sent for a wild lion to be delivered to take care of you. :lol: What I'm trying to say is, do NOT let your anxiety subtract from the happiness of your graduation. I deal with anxiety too, know how that feels. But, we can only do as well as we allow ourselves to do. Good luck, and congratulations!

Feraligatr
June 7th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Don't think about all the people there. Pretend they're stuffed animals, whatever you like, anything that wouldn't make you nervous while talking. And as for being the center of attention during the applause and receiving your diploma... that's a big moment, be proud to be the center of attention! They're clapping because they're happy for you, not because they've sent for a wild lion to be delivered to take care of you. :lol: What I'm trying to say is, do NOT let your anxiety subtract from the happiness of your graduation. I deal with anxiety too, know how that feels. But, we can only do as well as we allow ourselves to do. Good luck, and congratulations!
Thank you, and thank you for the advice. I understand what you're saying. I don't think we have to talk, though. I'm sure we just walk, get our diploma, and then watch everyone else. I would be nervous if we had to talk, especially since nobody told us we had to. :O

Amethyst Rose
June 7th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Thank you, and thank you for the advice. I understand what you're saying. I don't think we have to talk, though. I'm sure we just walk, get our diploma, and then watch everyone else. I would be nervous if we had to talk, especially since nobody told us we had to. :O

No problem. :) And oops, I meant walk.

Uniquemind
June 8th, 2016, 12:54 AM
I've attended graduation ceremonies for older family members, and I can tell you the ceremony is not much.

The only one who does any speaking is maybe the Principle or Vice Principle and then maybe the Valedictorian or those invited to make a special speech (usually students who achieved some kinda fame or award to make the school look good).

Just take a big breathe, close your eyes, and relax.