PDA

View Full Version : Gym..

dopamine
February 15th, 2014, 10:42 PM
After school I sometimes go to the gym with my family, who practically force me, but i get really bad anxiety attacks, i always think that

"everyone is looking at you"

"stop you are doing that wrong idiot"

"they are probably thinking who let this kid here"

and if anyone laughs i think its about me.

i just feel so dumb and out of place. i always go where no one is to avoid it.
any advice?

ksdnfkfr
February 15th, 2014, 11:00 PM
not really other than the standard try to relax and have fun.
Im sure plenty are uncomfortable in gyms for the same reasons.
Seems understandable to me

Thomas01
February 15th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I have the same problem, not at gyms (since I don't go) but at most other places.

So here are some things I do to help calm myself.

1) just tell myself that they are just thoughts. Thoughts that aren't necessarily true or wrong. It just means your brain is doing its job and crrating thoughts. It makes it have little importance and makes me realize that I can't stop these thoughts but the thoughts are harmless

2) realize that you really don't know if people are thinking that. Like they might even be worrying about the same thing. If you and I were in a room, it'd seem like we'd be thinking the same thing and too busy worrying about ourselves to think about the other.

3) just take a breath and focusing on things tht are around you, things actually happening. What sounds you hear, how the things you're touching feels. It helps take your mind off of things. It also brings you into the now instead of your thoughts.

I hope this helps. Message me if you need :)