PDA

View Full Version : GOT

HououinKiyoma
June 6th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Am I the only person on this planet who hasn't seen/read The Game of Thrones and has no interest in doing any of the above?

Flapjack
June 6th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Am I the only person on this planet who hasn't seen/read The Game of Thrones and has no interest in doing any of the above?
I haven't and I don't want to but I feel the need to XD

Zachary G
June 6th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Havent seen it or read it, its just not my cup of tea, so they can have it.

Luminous
June 6th, 2016, 09:42 AM
I assume it's a well-made, entertaining show, but the prospect doesn't interest me. I'm not too much into fantasy or action.

Melodic
June 6th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Oh it's good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't watched it.

For me personally, I watch little TV anyways. Game of Thrones is just something I haven't had much interest to watch.

HououinKiyoma
June 6th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Oh it's good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't watched it.

For me personally, I watch little TV anyways. Game of Thrones is just something I haven't had much interest to watch.

Likewise! All my friend's watch GOT and they spend most of their time talking about stuff about it and it really pisses me off.

I frankly believe half of the GOT fanboys/girls just wanna hop onto the trend bandwagon coz watching a TV show thats clearly inspired by LOTR is somehow cool?

Abyssal Echo
June 6th, 2016, 11:32 AM
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that hasn't watched it.
like Melodic I don't watch much TV.

Typhlosion
June 6th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I don't even have a working television home. I'm not too into series, but if I were into series I would probably give it a try.

But, the internet continuously spoils the whole show, so maybe nah :P

Melodic
June 6th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Likewise! All my friend's watch GOT and they spend most of their time talking about stuff about it and it really pisses me off.

I frankly believe half of the GOT fanboys/girls just wanna hop onto the trend bandwagon coz watching a TV show thats clearly inspired by LOTR is somehow cool?

Same!!! My friends always talk about GOT, Supernatural, or American Horror Story.

Emerald Dream
June 6th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Same!!! My friends always talk about GOT, Supernatural, or American Horror Story.

I hear you on this. I haven't watched (or read) GoT either. I may at some point, but the overhype of a lot of things just turns me off completely.

I'm just so often disappointed by shows or movies that people rave and rave about and are insistent they are great...and I watch them am have the attitude of "mehh."

The last show I tried to watch that people love is The Walking Dead. It was alright (a bit over the top ridiculous tbh), but was not the best show ever (like some treat it). I really don't buy into other peoples' hype with TV or movies or music. I think a lot of the popularity of some things has to do with a sheep mentality. People think they are great because they are told they are.

Taryn98
June 6th, 2016, 04:51 PM
I never really had an interest but a lot of my friends were huge fans so a couple weeks ago I started to watch the first season. Now I like it, but am not totally convinced I need to binge watch every episode or anything.

everlong
June 6th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Never seen or read it

Alexwellace
June 6th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Read the books and watch the show. My friends watch the show but couldn't care less about the books.

GoT isn't at all based on Lotr in so much that the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is based off of Star Wars, they share a genre but that's about it. They barely even share a genre, with Tolkein high fantasy (gods, elves, orcs, magic) being a very small part of Martins work, he focusses almost entirely his characters and the usually mundane (if dangerous) world they live in. + a small amount of dragons. GoT is actually largely based on the War of the Roses of British history when tackling large noble houses at war with each other.

On the other hand the show also touches on subjects I can understand many viewers not wanting to watch. How horrible arranged marriage can be, slavery, violence, almost gratuitous sex, social class, homophobia and the ungodly amount of politics that dictates the world might not make interesting viewing for some as much as others.

phuckphace
June 6th, 2016, 06:51 PM
the show is okay strictly as entertainment (basically a slasher with decent acting)

the books are overlong, full of GRRM's shitty writing and what I presume are his masturbation fantasies. seriously - I never realized how much disgusting shit was cut from the show until I read excerpts from the books. he's also not a very creative writer - the ASOIAF universe is a fantasy version of the 1400s, a lot of events therein are direct ripoffs of historical events and we even see the fantasy version of himself as Samwell Tarly. lol just lol at anyone who thinks the books have any serious literary merit.

Daenerys in particular is a meme character - empowered womyn, +100 fire immunity, all the men bow the fuck down, etc. almost as bad as le Sand Sneks.

Alexwellace
June 6th, 2016, 07:38 PM
The Sand Snakes were a disaster, in fact all of Dorne in the TV show was, however Arianna had a great story arc in Dorne and sets up Dorne as a major player in the coming books (I say coming tentatively). The Show has a habit of blending several characters together and simplifying the story, for better or worse, and Dorne was one of the loosers. Brienne and Lady Olenna are examples of minor characters being given larger roles in the show and it's worked well.

If it helps, the book Dany isn't 100% immune to fire.When she first walked out of the Pyre there was blood magic involved, heat resistant but not fire proof. Show Dany is fire proof which I find a little weird. From this season onwards the show runners don't have Martin helping write the episodes so i'm my opinion they are becoming more cinematic, again with winners and loosers. Hodor obviously being a loser and Dany being a winner.

I don't know how to measure literary merit on any scale other than enjoyment, and I enjoyed GoT where I didn't enjoy supposed literary classics like Jane Eyre. If I can get through every one of the almost Biblical sized tomes without it feeling like a chore that says something about the quality of writing.

Melodic
June 6th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I hear you on this. I haven't watched (or read) GoT either. I may at some point, but the overhype of a lot of things just turns me off completely.

I'm just so often disappointed by shows or movies that people rave and rave about and are insistent they are great...and I watch them am have the attitude of "mehh."

The last show I tried to watch that people love is The Walking Dead. It was alright (a bit over the top ridiculous tbh), but was not the best show ever (like some treat it). I really don't buy into other peoples' hype with TV or movies or music. I think a lot of the popularity of some things has to do with a sheep mentality. People think they are great because they are told they are.

Exactly! I'm the same way. There has been a time here and there where I've actually enjoyed something that is constantly raved about such as Pretty Little Liars. For the most part, I just get bored and/or unimpressed. It also doesn't help that I have a horrible attention span and will get distracted when watching shows I actually do like.

Katie NYC
June 7th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Read the books and watch the show. The show is going down hill but it's still good.

Cadanance00
July 11th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Any else in the whole wide world?

- merged with pre-existing thread. -Emerald Dream

Sublime Demonz
July 11th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Never found much interest in it.
This kid I go to school with never shuts up about it. Then again, he never shuts up in general.

Phosphene
July 11th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Never. You're not alone, my friend. :D

Ragle
July 12th, 2016, 03:50 AM
i watched a few episodes, got bored ... that's it

Falcons_11
July 17th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I have never watched it.

Pilyk
August 8th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I didn't began to watch this series before last May. I am not used to watching TV, maybe one movie once a month... And I wasn't really into this kind of think, but it seems almost everybody around me did watch it, so I followed the herd inistinct (very very bad!) ^^'...
If in the beginning I only started it in order to continue to understand what people were talking about, I must admit that the series is actually good. Then I had only watched one other until now (Rome)...
On the other hand I won't read the books because I prefer to read literary classics, and all whom had read them told me it wasn't well-written, nor original (copying history books on the two roses war and Maurice Druon's Cursed Kings - which I had read the 7 books in a hurry when I was like 13 :p). Moreover it would be somehow to much time consuming in my opinion!

Hyper
August 8th, 2016, 05:40 PM
I skipped on it till season 4 then started watching it. It's pretty good, has its silly cliches and drags on at times then overdoes things...

The last season put me off more than ever though, with its predictability & dumbass feminism - they've neutered/killed off pretty much every male character there has been in the series.