PDA

View Full Version : Addiction to sleeping

Microcosm
June 3rd, 2016, 03:43 AM
I've fallen into a slump for these first two weeks of Summer. It's actually really debilitating and entirely unhealthy based on research I've done in the past. I have slept about 10-13 hours almost every night for the past week and I almost can't stop. I legitimately find myself every morning struggling to get out of bed at 10 AM, then going right back to sleep every single time. The bed just draws me in so strongly it's pretty much impossible to ignore it. Once I do wake up at about 1-3 PM usually, my head and body aches from over sleep.

I've not much to do though as it is Summer, which makes this somewhat more manageable.

I've set multiple alarm clocks before and it doesn't work. Once, I set an alarm on my iPad that was set at I think 7AM and could be snoozed every 5 to ten minutes or so. I snoozed it until 9 or 10 AM before shutting it off and going to bed for good. That's how horrible this is. It's like nothing works except when I have something to do that day. I just never have anything planned most of the time and whenever I do, it's usually something optional that I've set for myself and effects pretty much no one else. So, the draw to the bed will make me just skip it.

This habit is super unhealthy and, if persisted, can increase my rate of future heart disease by 33% apparently. Anyone got advice?

It should also be noted that I usually go to bed at about 2AM, which is also unhealthy.

Flapjack
June 3rd, 2016, 06:37 AM
I've fallen into a slump for these first two weeks of Summer. It's actually really debilitating and entirely unhealthy based on research I've done in the past. I have slept about 10-13 hours almost every night for the past week and I almost can't stop. I legitimately find myself every morning struggling to get out of bed at 10 AM, then going right back to sleep every single time. The bed just draws me in so strongly it's pretty much impossible to ignore it. Once I do wake up at about 1-3 PM usually, my head and body aches from over sleep.

I've not much to do though as it is Summer, which makes this somewhat more manageable.

I've set multiple alarm clocks before and it doesn't work. Once, I set an alarm on my iPad that was set at I think 7AM and could be snoozed every 5 to ten minutes or so. I snoozed it until 9 or 10 AM before shutting it off and going to bed for good. That's how horrible this is. It's like nothing works except when I have something to do that day. I just never have anything planned most of the time and whenever I do, it's usually something optional that I've set for myself and effects pretty much no one else. So, the draw to the bed will make me just skip it.

This habit is super unhealthy and, if persisted, can increase my rate of future heart disease by 33% apparently. Anyone got advice?

It should also be noted that I usually go to bed at about 2AM, which is also unhealthy.
I literally have no experience with this buddy! I suggest caffeine but be careful not to get addicted to that:)

lemondrop
June 3rd, 2016, 08:58 AM

I literally have no experience with this buddy! I suggest caffeine but be careful not to get addicted to that:)

i agree to the above poster,over 200mg of caffeine is addictive

Just JT
June 3rd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Get outside, just get up, and walk outside and go for a walk, a run, go to the store, walk the dog, go to the gym, go to a park and throw a ball for the dog to fetch, go swimming, ride your bike. Anything, just get outside. Get moving, doing anything.

Your falling into a routine, and a regular routine is hard to break, especially bad ones that seem to make you feel good. If that's a real hard thing to do, you might wana talk to your doctor. You could be getting ready for a growth spurt, or you could be depressed, and not even know it

Flapjack
June 3rd, 2016, 10:38 AM
i agree to the above poster,over 200mg of caffeine is addictive
I have like 500mg a dayXD

lemondrop
June 3rd, 2016, 11:21 AM
I have like 500mg a dayXD

Lawl,crazyyyyy. If i pop one pill - 200mg i'm good for whole day,even after the workout ^.~

Fiction
June 4th, 2016, 08:54 AM
This may be a symptom of something underlying such as anaemia or even depression? I'd definitely say go and see a doctor so you can get checked out. It may be something physical that they can sort.

Microcosm
June 4th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am making progress.

The other day I stayed up all night, napped in the day, then tried to go to sleep at a good time. The next day, today I think, I slept a bit midday and am now going to bed tired at eleven, a healthy time. I believe I have made significant progress.

Just JT
June 5th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Good, I'm glad to hear that.
Let us know know how your doing ok?
Sometimes we just go through phases we can't sleep good is all
And we get past them sometimes

Uniquemind
June 10th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Your fighting your circadian rhythms which control the brain's sleep and waking cycle.

Only adjust your sleeping clock 15 minutes, in either direction in terms of going to sleep earlier than the day before or later than the day before, per day and make sure during daylight hours your getting sunlight exposure outside.

Microcosm
June 10th, 2016, 07:54 PM
make sure during daylight hours your getting sunlight exposure outside.

That is actually a really good idea. I didn't think of that. I have been getting less time outside recently.

I'll try that.

kryptonite
June 21st, 2016, 10:09 AM
Yeah...if you wake up to something to do, you'll actually feel a need to wake up. As others have said, be busy outdoors or at least out of the house.

What might help is setting that alarm clock, but away from the bed. If you have to get out of bed to turn it off, you're out of bed.

XxTheSignOfLibraxX
June 29th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Are you taking any medications? If so, check out the pill bottle to see if it causes you to be drowsy or will knock you out. You might have to switch medications. Though ask a professional before you decide to switch. I only know a bit on medication. Or start making tea or coffee for the mornings. But it may just be because it's summer. Kids sleep in during summer, mostly.

heresjohnny
July 2nd, 2016, 02:33 PM
Are you taking any medications? If so, check out the pill bottle to see if it causes you to be drowsy or will knock you out. You might have to switch medications. Though ask a professional before you decide to switch. I only know a bit on medication. Or start making tea or coffee for the mornings. But it may just be because it's summer. Kids sleep in during summer, mostly.

Yeah, but he said he sleeps until 1-3 PM. That isn't healthy. I can see "sleeping in during the summer" be about 10 or 10:30 or so. Unless it's a sleepover where you're up super-duper late and go to sleep at 6 or 7 AM or so...yeah, not healthy.

Michael75
July 2nd, 2016, 06:52 PM
Literally me. Ive recently started watching Peaky Blinders and The Office, so I binge either one of those to about 2.30/3.30am. However I can't sleep to around 4.30am. Then I sleep until 3pm, unless wakened beforehand. Then I'm like a pishmire!

jamie_n5
July 2nd, 2016, 08:34 PM
I like the suggestions. I would also say by your odd hours you have messed up your internal clock.