PDA

View Full Version : Calling all stringed instrument players!

Splat
June 2nd, 2016, 02:21 PM
Hey,

So I'm just wondering if anyone else does this or if it's just me.
Basically, I mainly play violin and then a few other instruments including guitar. Lately, I've stopped violin lessons and I just haven't practised anything on either the violin or the guitar to make time for exam and stuff, thus the calluses that I once had have slowly started disappearing.
Recently (within the past week) I've been literally addicted to playing both the guitar and violin but because of these disappeared calluses, I am experiencing pain and bruised fingertips. And this is the weird bit: I won't stop because of the pain, but I carry on - even more so. It's almost as though I like the pain....
Anyone??

-Splat

Mars
June 2nd, 2016, 03:04 PM
I relate to that tbh... But I play guitar so often that it doesn't really pain me anymore.

Flapjack
June 2nd, 2016, 04:23 PM
Hey,

So I'm just wondering if anyone else does this or if it's just me.
Basically, I mainly play violin and then a few other instruments including guitar. Lately, I've stopped violin lessons and I just haven't practised anything on either the violin or the guitar to make time for exam and stuff, thus the calluses that I once had have slowly started disappearing.
Recently (within the past week) I've been literally addicted to playing both the guitar and violin but because of these disappeared calluses, I am experiencing pain and bruised fingertips. And this is the weird bit: I won't stop because of the pain, but I carry on - even more so. It's almost as though I like the pain....
Anyone??

-Splat

For the guitar, can't you get a pick? Btw I have no idea I don't play, just trying to be helpfulXD

Mars
June 2nd, 2016, 05:25 PM
For the guitar, can't you get a pick? Btw I have no idea I don't play, just trying to be helpfulXD

There are different techniques that require fingerpicking and some people just prefer to use their hands. HOWEVER, what OP is talking about is her hand on the fret board over than fingerpicking

Flapjack
June 2nd, 2016, 05:34 PM
There are different techniques that require fingerpicking and some people just prefer to use their hands. HOWEVER, what OP is talking about is her hand on the fret board over than fingerpicking

I get it:) I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar but it looks wayyy too complicated!

Mars
June 2nd, 2016, 06:04 PM
I get it:) I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar but it looks wayyy too complicated!

It's difficult but all skills are in that sense tho :P fr it just takes practice bruh. A lot o practice n time :D

Splat
June 3rd, 2016, 01:42 AM
I relate to that tbh... But I play guitar so often that it doesn't really pain me anymore.

Yeah, I can already feel the build up of hard skin after yesterday morning's 4 hour session xD it feels weird all over again. But the pain never really bothered me, I was just curious whether anyone else enjoyed the pain xD

TheFlapjack: for the right hand, yeah. I have a pick but I only use it to play chords. Stuff I usually play involves broken chords and stuff like that and I happen to find manoeuvring a pick in that way incredibly difficult. What Mars said is spot on - it's the left hand on the strings that's affected the most.

BlackParadePixie
June 3rd, 2016, 09:54 PM
I played violin for a while...got tired of it :yawn:

Katie NYC
June 7th, 2016, 05:45 AM
I play the bass. Good times.

Darkslidex7
June 7th, 2016, 11:11 PM
7 string guitar!! Yesss I'm so obsessed with the Ibanez 7 string, well... It's amazing how you can do a LOT with just a creative mind and a guitar. I feel like when everything goes wrong, I always have my guitar there to cheer me up. :)