PDA

View Full Version : Today's music is all the same

The Boom
June 1st, 2016, 12:34 AM
Alright, my father lived his childhood in the 80's. So, he practically infected me with all the popular music from that decade (though I'm sure I would have found out I like it without him).
The saddest thing about that is that there are no longer any awesome songs like there used to be... Today's music is pretty much always pop or synthetic. Albums were released by a band of three to six players. Today, one single person can release an album by himself using only a computer. It's kind of like that actually. Instruments are a lot less popular than they used to be. Sure, you still got some modern rock or real bands, but they all kind of sound the same... Here's what I mainly listen to: Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Genesis, Def Leppard, Scorpions, ACDC.... I can barely name a few modern bands.

THE 80'S ARE THE BEST!!!!:metal:

Doesn't anyone agree with me?

Flapjack
June 1st, 2016, 09:40 AM
Alright, my father lived his childhood in the 80's. So, he practically infected me with all the popular music from that decade (though I'm sure I would have found out I like it without him).
The saddest thing about that is that there are no longer any awesome songs like there used to be... Today's music is pretty much always pop or synthetic. Albums were released by a band of three to six players. Today, one single person can release an album by himself using only a computer. It's kind of like that actually. Instruments are a lot less popular than they used to be. Sure, you still got some modern rock or real bands, but they all kind of sound the same... Here's what I mainly listen to: Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Genesis, Def Leppard, Scorpions, ACDC.... I can barely name a few modern bands.

THE 80'S ARE THE BEST!!!!:metal:

Doesn't anyone agree with me?
Love living on a prayer by bon jovi!! Aside from that sorry I am in the current generation!

Emerald Dream
June 1st, 2016, 10:01 AM
I agree that I like a lot of 80s music (for a lot of the same reasons), but I also realize that others are going to like the kind of music they do as well. :)

Melodic
June 1st, 2016, 10:23 AM
I'm not particularly an 80's fan. 90's and 2000's are the best decades of music in my opinion. I feel there was a lot of originality and powerhouse vocalists in that time. Now.. I feel 80 percent of mainstream vocalists sounds the same. It's hard for even me to tell them apart and I'm obsessed with music. I know it's hard to create a song in general, without instruments, so I don't look down on any music producer or songwriter unless I feel their work

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyqgdOdfrJZbCwJOcb4WyjnboYMZ9Fn8wZDCdnEBRdgro89mRcusfYK84D

is NOT creative

I do agree that there should be more instruments used in songs. Electronic music can get a bit annoying after a while and like I said, I'd like to see something new and original. There are a few mainstream artists that I feel are original such as Melanie Martinez, Adele, or Twenty One Pilots. But.. I'd like to see more of that!

Leprous
June 1st, 2016, 10:45 AM
The current generation of pop music is basicly made out of depressing love songs, life stories, and boring instruments. It's literally all the same. I wish we could go back to the days Mika was still popular, that motherfucker was happy as fuck. Look at for example biebs, he wants to know if it's too late to say sorry because he's missing more than just someone's body? Hell no motherfucker doesn't miss anyone he's just not creative enough to come up with anything else.

Look at the charts, it's only pop, elctronic and rap music topping them, which is sad. Like, where are the guitars at? The instruments in general? Why can't we stop sampling from other artists (remixes I am looking at you). Also I feel like modern rock bands kinda lost out on the rock tbh.

Amethyst Rose
June 1st, 2016, 11:21 AM
I agree that today's music all sounds the same, I much prefer the 60's-early 1990s. Even before that regarding jazz. So much more originality. However, everyone has their own taste, and I respect all musicians, no matter what genre and whether I particularly like that genre or not. Some of today's vocalists, in my mind, are superb but their talent is dulled and they are made lazy by all the electronic bullshit. If you look at bands from decades ago, they put out a few albums a year, and now artists put out like one album every few years. What's up with that??? And they say they work so hard. :rolleyes:

everlong
June 1st, 2016, 03:33 PM
I'm more of a 90s guy myself, but I do agree the 80s was full of great music. There's a few modern bands I really like but I mostly listen to 70s - 90s.

lyhom
June 1st, 2016, 04:04 PM
all I have to say about this is that I'm gonna laugh when in 5-10 years we're gonna have people looking back to nowadays and going "music was much better then"

BlackParadePixie
June 1st, 2016, 05:57 PM
Stop listening to "popular" music...there's your first problem.

Kyle37
June 1st, 2016, 06:29 PM
Ya I can barely listen to new music. Most artists are just picked up by record labels from random places like vine or youtube (or those from kids tv shows), hire some songwriters who right based on a formula, have the same boring af music videos, sell to young people who fall for the hype and then just repeat.

Moriya
June 1st, 2016, 08:44 PM
Idrk, imma just take my Vocaloid, anime OSTs and rock bands and leave

kevenity
June 1st, 2016, 08:56 PM
I strongly agree w/ you. Today's music is getting repetitive and lame with an exception of some. I LOVE 70s AND 80 s SO MUCH YES!! who are your fav artists/ bands?!

Pat the Bunny
June 2nd, 2016, 12:28 PM
Adult Jazz - Earrings Off (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LhgjiPuM04)

Julien Baker - Something (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME1gGWsK9rE)

Babymetal - Karate (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvD3CHA48pA)

James Blake - Radio Silence (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTglDb7qjvQ)

Car Seat Headrest - Fill In The Blank (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_a1hPwXiWw)

katie dey - dont be scared (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFMjPHX0rw)

Kendrick Lamar - i (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aShfolR6w8)

Sufjan Stevens - Death With Dignity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsGODTySH0E)

Kashiwa Daisuke - Program Music II (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqRaPud8JE)

These are all from 2015/2016 albums I loved off the top of my mind trying not to repeat similar styles. I feel like 90% of the people complaining about everything modern sounding the same have never kept up with new music and don't know/remember what was popular in the period they idolize.

If you look at bands from decades ago, they put out a few albums a year, and now artists put out like one album every few years. What's up with that??? And they say they work so hard. :rolleyes:

There are multiple reasons to explain this that don't involve 'musicians got lazy'. First one is the evolution of the album of an art form. This is just a reason for pre middle 60s where this changed, but before that, albums were mostly just a collection of songs. Now, most albums, even simple pop albums, are not just collections of songs, but 1 long work of art. More attention is paid to the tracklist and which tracks get on the album, making the record process cost more time. Another one is that albums simply used to be shorter, around 35 minutes, now they're about 45/50 minutes average I'd say. Another one is that nowadays more time is put into mixing and mastering the albums. With albums that use samples sample clearance can be a problem that costs a lot of time (an example of this is the group The Avalanches, their music is made entirely from samples. Their (fantastic) debut album, Since I Left You, was released in 2000, but it was finished 2 years before that, they just took a lot of time clearing samples. They have an album set to release in 2016, their first one since SILY and they have been working on it for yeeeaaarrrsss. It's unknown when it was finished, but it's assumable that plenty of those years are taken up by clearing samples.). Another, probably important reason, is that hype cycles of albums have increased, as in, more time is taken between announcements, first singles, general hype building. You could blame the artists for this, but really it's just an effect of the growth of the music industry.

srry for wall of text

CoolGuy108
June 2nd, 2016, 12:57 PM
Tbh most of my fav music is from Tv shows, for example Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, or Inception. So mainly this decade and some of the last

FuTo
June 2nd, 2016, 01:48 PM
Not ALL music just mostly pop and rap. I swear u cant listen to a rap these days without hearing about sex, drugs and money.

Leprous
June 2nd, 2016, 02:07 PM
Ya I can barely listen to new music. Most artists are just picked up by record labels from random places like vine or youtube (or those from kids tv shows), hire some songwriters who right based on a formula, have the same boring af music videos, sell to young people who fall for the hype and then just repeat.
That would be true for pop music. That genre is getting milked with the day. One hit wonders everywhere and it makes me cringe. I do not agree that all new music is like this though, as there have been amazing metal and rock albums these past few years that are very original.

However pop music should die.

Kyle37
June 3rd, 2016, 09:26 PM
That would be true for pop music. That genre is getting milked with the day. One hit wonders everywhere and it makes me cringe. I do not agree that all new music is like this though, as there have been amazing metal and rock albums these past few years that are very original.

However pop music should die.

Bro, have you ever even heard pop music? Perhaps you don't understand what pop music umbrellas. I think its pretty ignorant to say pop music to die, the same way it would be ignorant of me to say metal music should die because its just people recording instruments at insanely high tempos, meshing together a bunch instruments sections together to produce as much noise and chaos as possible, and then having some guy release all of his sexual tension into a microphone for an hour recording session and slap that over the rest of the track.

Well at least I gave a reasoning to my opinion.

Leprous
June 4th, 2016, 12:45 AM
Bro, have you ever even heard pop music? Perhaps you don't understand what pop music umbrellas. I think its pretty ignorant to say pop music to die, the same way it would be ignorant of me to say metal music should die because its just people recording instruments at insanely high tempos, meshing together a bunch instruments sections together to produce as much noise and chaos as possible, and then having some guy release all of his sexual tension into a microphone for an hour recording session and slap that over the rest of the track.

Well at least I gave a reasoning to my opinion.

That last sentence was purely sarcastic but okay. I would be a retard to say that but okay sure.

Not all metal music is at extremely high tempo's and I am willing to throw a ton of proof at you. Also not all metal music is just made up of a bunch of screams.

But please, name me the bands that you clarify as pop.

BrokenWingedPegasus
June 4th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Well, I just feel like the more popular songs' lyrics are bad many times, being very repetitive, sometimes just throwing random words that have some kind of sexual innuendo, etc. Though there are still some popular musicians that don't do that, like Adele, even though she doesn't sing my type of music I can appreciate her music because of the deeper lyrics and that.
The bands I mostly listen to are Alter Bridge and Tremonti, and they are Alternative Metal bands but with deep lyrics, and well worked songs, and I'm looking forward to their new albums in 2016.

Amethyst Rose
June 4th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Pat the Bunny: I didn't say that "musicians have gotten lazy" because they're not smashing out albums every year. What I mean is, I think many of them have much more potential they haven't exercised and it's going to waste. Most "popular" artists today are singing over electronically produced music rather than real instruments. In live performance, the intimacy with a live band and that driving force behind you isn't there. Learning an instrument takes time and dedication, and I know there are talented musicians out there who are overlooked because they just aren't needed. And as for album length: Guns N' Roses' Use Your Illusion (I and II), released in 1991, were BOTH over an hour in length. Led Zeppelin I, released in 1969, is around 45 minutes. It's just a matter of what ends up on the album.

Pat the Bunny
June 6th, 2016, 01:02 PM
wholelottalove
It's true that their are old albums that are also long, but on average they were shorter. With that point I was mostly talking pre 80s, before the rise of the CD, which allowed album lengths to be way higher without making it a double album. Even so, UYI I and II were both very long, but the most common argument against those albums is that they're filled with filler and that they should have made it one album (this is of course entirely subjective but it does mean that longer albums don't necessarily mean that they took longer too make, although they often do).

I think both points about real instruments/bands are heavily biased. Most pop songs aren't complicated or hard to play. To get to the level of being able to play those songs at a professional level takes roughly about the same time as it takes to be able to make professional sounding electronic music (even then it depends heavily on the genre of electronic you're making). As for the live intimacy thing, this is heavily biased from a rock (or rather, aggressive energy based music. This could include some non-rock genres and exclude some rock sub-genres) perspective. There is no 1 way a show should work. With most singer songwriter shows the focus is on the connection from the singer to the audience, or for very subdued introspective ones, just the energy from the singer to the music. For most EDM, I'd say the focus is on the connection from the crowd to the music, not necessarily the performer. It all depends on what the audience and the crowd looks for in a concert

Amethyst Rose
June 6th, 2016, 05:26 PM
wholelottalove
It's true that their are old albums that are also long, but on average they were shorter. With that point I was mostly talking pre 80s, before the rise of the CD, which allowed album lengths to be way higher without making it a double album. Even so, UYI I and II were both very long, but the most common argument against those albums is that they're filled with filler and that they should have made it one album (this is of course entirely subjective but it does mean that longer albums don't necessarily mean that they took longer too make, although they often do).

I think both points about real instruments/bands are heavily biased. Most pop songs aren't complicated or hard to play. To get to the level of being able to play those songs at a professional level takes roughly about the same time as it takes to be able to make professional sounding electronic music (even then it depends heavily on the genre of electronic you're making). As for the live intimacy thing, this is heavily biased from a rock (or rather, aggressive energy based music. This could include some non-rock genres and exclude some rock sub-genres) perspective. There is no 1 way a show should work. With most singer songwriter shows the focus is on the connection from the singer to the audience, or for very subdued introspective ones, just the energy from the singer to the music. For most EDM, I'd say the focus is on the connection from the crowd to the music, not necessarily the performer. It all depends on what the audience and the crowd looks for in a concert

I really admire your maturity and also your knowledge of music; I don't know many people our age who possess both. I apologize for being biased. In the end, I think every person is biased to some extent. Also, when I spoke of intimacy with the music, I meant any genre that incorporates improvisation. I just feel that some of that intimacy is lost if the music is already pre-recorded and leaves less room for expansion. That's just me, everyone looks for something different. In my last post I forgot to mention: there are albums that tell a story based on track listing that AREN'T modern... i.e., Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (1979), or any other concept album. You can't really limit aspects of an album to just one period of time, they each possess unique qualities.

Pat the Bunny
June 7th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I really admire your maturity and also your knowledge of music; I don't know many people our age who possess both. I apologize for being biased. In the end, I think every person is biased to some extent. Also, when I spoke of intimacy with the music, I meant any genre that incorporates improvisation. I just feel that some of that intimacy is lost if the music is already pre-recorded and leaves less room for expansion. That's just me, everyone looks for something different. In my last post I forgot to mention: there are albums that tell a story based on track listing that AREN'T modern... i.e., Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (1979), or any other concept album. You can't really limit aspects of an album to just one period of time, they each possess unique qualities.

Thanks, I feel the same way, I quite enjoyed this discussion. I admit that my point about album length/filler doesn't really stand unless you go way back to (roughly) pre-Beatles, and even then it's only a rough generalization that still mostly depends on the album (short albums can still have filler and long albums may need every track). Aside from the fact that unimaginative can happen in any genre (I'm not really sure if you implied that in your post but I thought you did) I fully agree with your post

Amethyst Rose
June 7th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks, I feel the same way, I quite enjoyed this discussion. I admit that my point about album length/filler doesn't really stand unless you go way back to (roughly) pre-Beatles, and even then it's only a rough generalization that still mostly depends on the album (short albums can still have filler and long albums may need every track). Aside from the fact that unimaginative can happen in any genre (I'm not really sure if you implied that in your post but I thought you did) I fully agree with your post

So have I. Discussions like these keep the wheels in your head turning, test how respectful you are to people with differing opinions than yours, and also how willing you are to accept some of your knowledge isn't as accurate as you might have thought.

isko
June 23rd, 2017, 04:10 PM
I hate modern pop and most rap, never really got into older stuff tho (only the jam) I like alot of indie/alternative stuff (jammie t/jake bugg etc.)

Amethyst Rose
June 23rd, 2017, 05:47 PM
I hate modern pop and most rap, never really got into older stuff tho (only the jam) I like alot of indie/alternative stuff (jammie t/jake bugg etc.)

Please don't post in threads that have been inactive for 2 months or longer. :locked: