PDA

View Full Version : First Job Interview.

Melodic
May 31st, 2016, 01:29 PM
I have my first job interview tomorrow morning. I've been mentally preparing myself to all of the questions I will most likely be asked.

My problem is.. I tend to blurt out the first thing that comes to my head and I say ummm, like and uhhhhh between thoughts.

I'm also socially anxious and I'm afraid I may come across that way to the interviewer.

Any advice?

DriveAlive
May 31st, 2016, 01:32 PM
I think you should use your quick responses to your advantage. People pick up on fast thinking and responding as a sign of intelligence. I know this advice may sound cheesy, but I recommend you watch videos of Frank Reagan from "Blue Bloods" and Ari Gold from "Entourage" and try to combine their speaking and personality styles. I attempted to combine the best qualities of how both of these characters speak and I landed my first job on the very first interview. Give it a try because it cannot hurt.

Melodic
May 31st, 2016, 07:04 PM
I think you should use your quick responses to your advantage. People pick up on fast thinking and responding as a sign of intelligence. I know this advice may sound cheesy, but I recommend you watch videos of Frank Reagan from "Blue Bloods" and Ari Gold from "Entourage" and try to combine their speaking and personality styles. I attempted to combine the best qualities of how both of these characters speak and I landed my first job on the very first interview. Give it a try because it cannot hurt.

Thank you for the tip!

SummerHaze
June 2nd, 2016, 06:26 AM
how was your interview?

Melodic
June 4th, 2016, 01:21 PM
how was your interview?

I got a second job interview which was yesterday and they emailed me last night with a job offer.

Typhlosion
June 4th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Something that helped me once: if your interviewer asks for an adjective that best describes you, go for your favorite color. Then, explain what that color means.

C'grats on the job offer :)

Melodic
June 4th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Something that helped me once: if your interviewer asks for an adjective that best describes you, go for your favorite color. Then, explain what that color means.

C'grats on the job offer :)

That's actually a great tip! Wish I would've thought of that at my interview.

And thank yooou! :)

Cadanance00
June 5th, 2016, 12:44 AM
I actually had somebody ask me, "Tell me about a time you didn't live up to your own standards." What an ass. But there are some out there.

FuTo
June 5th, 2016, 12:49 AM
My first one was for a fast food so it was rather easy. She just asked y I wanted a job and such. You just have to be honest and give it your all.

I actually had somebody ask me, "Tell me about a time you didn't live up to your own standards." What an ass. But there are some out there.

You know you could've used it to your own advantage and be like "Well I'm always organized and I try not be be because I always spend my time organizin things." That way the interviewer will think you are a very organized person

Cadanance00
June 5th, 2016, 01:00 AM
You know you could've used it to your own advantage and be like "Well I'm always organized and I try not be be because I always spend my time organizin things." That way the interviewer will think you are a very organized person

Or like really AR (Anal Retentive).

Uranus
June 5th, 2016, 02:14 AM
I hope everything went well with the interview, sorry I wasn't able to post a post beforehand. Although, I don't have much to offer, I walked in on a Tuesday (early April) and said "Hey, y'all hirin'?"

"Uh yes come in Thursday, four O'clock, bring black button up and dress slacks" (Restaraunt job) and boom I was hired. So far I'm satisfied.
Of course I was trained, but being a restaurant, I was kinda given the exam and the lesson simultaneously :P

Melodic
June 5th, 2016, 07:03 PM
I hope everything went well with the interview, sorry I wasn't able to post a post beforehand. Although, I don't have much to offer, I walked in on a Tuesday (early April) and said "Hey, y'all hirin'?"

"Uh yes come in Thursday, four O'clock, bring black button up and dress slacks" (Restaraunt job) and boom I was hired. So far I'm satisfied.
Of course I was trained, but being a restaurant, I was kinda given the exam and the lesson simultaneously :P

Lucky.. Eh, My process was pretty easy though, which was great since it was the first interview I ever had. Both interviews, the manager asked me some pretty simple questions such as "How do you handle conflict? or "Why did you choose this company?" Which I prepared for.

I was also honest about my scheduling conflicts which they were very accepting about. They said they are very flexible with that, which is great since I'm trying to get to where I can perform locally with music.

DriveAlive
June 5th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Melodic, did you take my advice about those two characters? I am interested to know if other people find this style of studying speaking to be as helpful as it was for me.

Melodic
June 6th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Melodic, did you take my advice about those two characters? I am interested to know if other people find this style of studying speaking to be as helpful as it was for me.
With some harder questions, I did use your advice. With easier questions, I was just myself and tried to add a few jokes here and there.