PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Thread

DriveAlive
May 31st, 2016, 12:13 AM
For those of you who are hunters, please post which type of hunting you participate in and what game you have hunted. For those who have any questions pertaining to hunting, please feel free to ask away as I would be happy to share my knowledge with you guys. I believe that hunting is great and I not only hope to find like-minded people, but also inform the general community.

Personally, I enjoy rifle, bow, and handgun hunting for most game and upland shooting with a shotgun. I hunt with a wide arrange of weapons and have hunted some exotic locations.

Dalcourt
May 31st, 2016, 01:21 AM
I do a lot of hunting usually hunting with a rifle but I have done other stuff, too.
I have hunted small game, deer and alligator.

DriveAlive
June 1st, 2016, 01:45 AM
I recently got a new hunting pistol. It is a custom long slide 1911 chambered in 9x25 Dillon. This cartridge is the 10mm necked down to 9mm and gives extreme velocity for flat shooting and incredible power. I use lightweight solids for varmints, copper hollow points for deer, and heavy lead cast bullets for hogs. This gun has proven to be really adaptable and especially potent for hogs. I absolutely love the gun and cannot recommend it enough.

With the recent discussion in other threads about safe hunting practices, I think that this thread will be particularly useful.

Posts merged. Use the edit button next time. ~Mars

Michael75
July 12th, 2016, 07:10 PM
The gun laws here in Ireland are very strict. I have two shotguns, an air rifle and a .22. I use the .22 mostly and hunt rabbits. I'd use the shotguns for either bird shooting or clay pigeon on special occasions.

bandofbros20
July 14th, 2016, 12:11 AM
I'm in America. I've only gone small game hunting like pheasant but I really want to go big game hunting.

DriveAlive
June 13th, 2017, 12:50 AM
Hey everyone! I wanted to see if anyone was interested in talking a little about shooting and hunting.

Even though I have become a vegan recently, I will eat meat of animals that I have killed myself.

I have recently done some pretty amazing pheasant hunting and I have acquired some great new guns. I have also gotten back to the clays range and I have been working on my trap skills. I will be heading to Argentina soon for a dove hunt.

Dalcourt
June 13th, 2017, 02:21 AM
Usually we went on hunting trips every summer but sadly I won't be able to do so this time.

Good thing however is that I will be able to safe up some money to by a better rifle for next year.
In the meantime I also can work on my shooting skills.

Snowfox
June 13th, 2017, 08:40 AM
I do hunt. I have hunted rabbits and deers and ducks. Well not juts ducks all kind of birds.
I cant have licence for firearm until I am 15 but I can legally hunt with my brother and use his shotgun or rifle as long as he is around.
We have Mosin Nagant rifle and Remington 870 shotgun.
When I get my licence I will certainly buy Tikka rifle with 308 chambering I could go for 30-06 too if I get good deal.
I would certainly reload my ammo cause I have earned my pocket money for years by doing it.
I also do love shooting clay.
I guess I am lucky to have brother like that

DriveAlive
June 13th, 2017, 08:42 AM
I do hunt. I have hunted rabbits and deers and ducks. Well not juts ducks all kind of birds.
I cant have licence for firearm until I am 15 but I can legally hunt with my brother and use his shotgun or rifle as long as he is around.
We have Mosin Nagant rifle and Remington 870 shotgun.
When I get my licence I will certainly buy Tikka rifle with 308 chambering I could go for 30-06 too if I get good deal.
I would certainly reload my ammo cause I have earned my pocket money for years by doing it.
I also do love shooting clay.
I guess I am lucky to have brother like that

Sounds like a lot of fun and it is great to spend time hunting with your brother.

Tikka is a great choice.

Snowfox
June 13th, 2017, 08:47 AM
DriveAlive have you ever tried shotgunslugs for hunting we have used cutshell method to save money but problem is that it ruins shell hulls

DriveAlive
June 13th, 2017, 06:35 PM
DriveAlive have you ever tried shotgunslugs for hunting we have used cutshell method to save money but problem is that it ruins shell hulls

I have shot hogs and a deer before with slugs. Definitely not my favorite for hunting but I can see the uses in more wooded and closer range hunting.

Snowfox
June 15th, 2017, 10:47 AM
There is one thing that I am especially interested about. Reloading cases with blackpowder.
I know that some straight walled cases can be loaded safely with black powder instead of common smokeless powder. My reasons are that smokeless powder prices have gone all time high and some cartridges like your typical 308 is more expensive to reload than buy new ones. Main reason is powder price. 1 kg of powder is roughly 110 euros. But blackpwder is something that you can make in home.
Ok it takes lots of effort but it is really possible. Old school way to make black powder is cheap while it takes time and modern way while being not cheap is fast.
Anyway problem number 2 with reloading is primers their prices have gone high too.
When my brother teached me to reload price of primer was 2 cents per one now its 5 cents per one.
How to reload primer?
I know primers can eb reloaded but priming mass is quite volatile and you cant buy it from grocery store.

Dmaxd123
June 15th, 2017, 04:10 PM
on the original comment:

i LOVE hunting, don't shoot a lot. not a trophy hunter just like to process my own deer here in NY so won't shoot unless i have time the following few days. PA has antler restrictions so see a TON of deer but just haven't been able to find the extra magical point even when I think it's there better safe than sorry.

also hunt bear, pheasant, squirrels, groundhogs and coyotes.

DriveAlive- very interesting choice to go vegan but still hunt and consume what you hunt

snowfox- I personally wouldn't try to make my own black powder or primers. here in the US primers were super hard to get for a while but are now back out more regularly and in decent prices again so hopefully they will come down in price over there too. doing the conversion for powder that is extreme. i usually pay around 30-35/pound here in the US so that would be roughly 55euro/kg

DriveAlive
June 16th, 2017, 11:09 PM
I am not one for reloading but I applaud anyone who puts the time in to learning how to reload their own. I only reload some very specific hunting cartridges and rare pistol cartridges.

DriveAlive
June 18th, 2017, 01:43 AM
I recently got a 6.5-300 Weatherby. It is a great compliment to my 6.5 Creedmoor and my .300 Weatherby. The cartridge combines the accuracy of the Creedmoor with the power and flat shooting of the .300 Weatherby. It is literally a .300 Weatherby necked down to 6.5mm. It is woefully overbore and creates a ridiculous muzzle blast, but it shoots as flat as a laser and hits like a hammer.