PDA

View Full Version : Wanna bulk up; will this work?

Microcosm
May 27th, 2016, 09:51 PM
So I was thinking about a plan to bulk up this Summer. I'm currently pretty out of shape. I'm not overweight(not even close). I'm just not super strong or anything. Also, my cardio is apparently terrible based on my experiences playing basketball.

So, here's what I'm thinking.

1.) I'll buy some protein powder along with some fruits so I can mix the two into a shake every morning in the blender.
2.) I'll get a gym membership and lift weights there every other day. Probably do some other exercises as well.
3.) Try to fill my diet with carbs other than sugar.

Will this work? Is it a realistic plan? Also, do you think there will be a significant difference in my strength if I stick to it for the rest of the Summer?

Sailor Mars
May 27th, 2016, 09:56 PM
I recommend along with carbs a balance of proteins and vegetables n shit. Also, balance out your exercises (legs, core, arms, back you gotta exercise evenly) and the days you do it (if you don't rest properly you won't progress).

Other than that, sounds good :D

dbfordateam
May 29th, 2016, 10:13 PM
I recommend along with carbs a balance of proteins and vegetables n shit. Also, balance out your exercises (legs, core, arms, back you gotta exercise evenly) and the days you do it (if you don't rest properly you won't progress).

Other than that, sounds good :D

I agree with mars, Also you aren't going to get big if you simply do not eat. I've gained 45 pounds since freshman year (I was 167 the beginning of my Junior year, Now i am a very cut 155) so you want a calorie surplus never a calorie deficit.

Flapjack
May 31st, 2016, 10:26 AM
So I was thinking about a plan to bulk up this Summer. I'm currently pretty out of shape. I'm not overweight(not even close). I'm just not super strong or anything. Also, my cardio is apparently terrible based on my experiences playing basketball.

So, here's what I'm thinking.

1.) I'll buy some protein powder along with some fruits so I can mix the two into a shake every morning in the blender.
2.) I'll get a gym membership and lift weights there every other day. Probably do some other exercises as well.
3.) Try to fill my diet with carbs other than sugar.

Will this work? Is it a realistic plan? Also, do you think there will be a significant difference in my strength if I stick to it for the rest of the Summer?
First things first: Don't do what every guy new to bodybuilding does and that is eating 5000 calories a day 'cos you're gonna burn it all and put into muscle!! Because you won't be working out that much and you will just put on weight and feel sick.

You have to decide whether you want to get them big biceps fast or be stronger? They have different workouts.

Uranus
May 31st, 2016, 11:18 AM
Well at 16 you could find a labor intensive job and get paid. I'm17 and doing that and have noticeably gotten much stronger in a month and a half. It won't guarantee big chests and tight abs but it sure does give you a workout

Flapjack
May 31st, 2016, 11:26 AM
Well at 16 you could find a labor intensive job and get paid. I'm17 and doing that and have noticeably gotten much stronger in a month and a half. It won't guarantee big chests and tight abs but it sure does give you a workout

What is it you do?

Just JT
May 31st, 2016, 12:49 PM
I think all the advise given is very good advise. I'm not an "athlete" or anything, but I'm in pretty good shape. I run on a regular basis, bike ride a lot, ski/snowboard, all kinds stuff. But I don't really work out other that some sit-ups and push-ups.

But a balanced exercise plan, as well as does, and rest are all very important. If you don't know all of what's involved in a balanced any of those, then I'd talk to someone at the gym. Some have personal trainers. They can advise you on the right workout regiment and some diet advise as well.

If your not strong with cardio, I'd start there. Map out like a 3-5 mile course near home, and start walking it, at a very fast pace. Not running, you'll work up to that. Fast enough that your heart rate increases, and walk at a steady pace. This should be a pace that you break a good sweat before your done, but should not wipe you out. If you can't complete that map, go slower, or shorter distance, and work up from there.

In time, your body will speak to you, you'll know when you can go farther or faster, because you won't feel as though your working out, and feel like your not pushing the limits your used to, and yearning for

It's going to take time, have realistic expectations bro, you may not obtain your goal over the summer. But keep at it and it'll come.

But a
So be careful with those protein drink things, maybe even talk to your doctor about all of this

Uranus
June 1st, 2016, 12:00 AM
What is it you do?

I work In a restaraunt.
I'll work the floor and in the back.
I've been in the back lately (doing dishes and shit)
Since at the time I was the only one skilled back there and the other guy who was also skilled was away, and even tho Its dishes working in the back is more labor intensive than you would imagine, since you carry maybe 20-25 somewhat heavy glass plates at time multiple times and get supplies others need like 50-100 lbs of rice or whatever