PDA

View Full Version : Unsupportive teachers *Rant*

Croconaw
May 22nd, 2016, 07:09 PM
Some teachers just have their own special way of teaching, but some ways are just unacceptable. My English teacher this year hadn't exactly been supportive lately. My class is the co-taught class, meaning that naturally, students would need extra help.

We are currently reading Treasure Island, which according to the teacher, is on the level of a kindergartner. She said if we just listen, the answers in the reading guide would just pop out at us, and we wouldn't have any questions. She has been making the class feel bad by putting them down and implying that we are half stupid. She said that it's not her problem if half the class doesn't graduate because we aren't even trying.

Almost every student in this class has an IEP, or need extra help. The teacher shouldn't be saying these things in any class, especially a co-taught one. Two students in my class have snapped at the teacher because of her attitude. A student who normally has straight A's was even complaining about having a failing grade in this English class.

I have a 68% overall in the class. I'm making sure to pass.

Does anyone else have a teacher like this, or used to?

Drew Alex
May 22nd, 2016, 07:17 PM
Oh, yeah. My freshman English teacher hated me. I had my sister, who's a college English major, tutor me with one of my papers. I got a C-.

Bull
May 22nd, 2016, 07:27 PM
My brother had this weird SS teacher in grade 10. An essay he wrote received a grade of C, but with marks or comments. He had the same teacher this year (grade 12) and turned in the exact same essay just to see what would happen. He got an A and the paper had several comments about quality of ideas and expression. Go figure.

Melodic
May 22nd, 2016, 08:24 PM
Several times. It's a big reason why I've been homeschooled. In public school, I was given bad grades constantly because I didn't talk in class or "participate" despite that my social anxiety has been written on my record since Kindergarten.

Sublime Demonz
May 22nd, 2016, 08:31 PM
When I was a freshman, my Honors English 9 teacher was like that. She made everyone else in my class seem like a genius, but I was utterly stupid. One time, she had us write these things called triple entry journals, and she handed mine back with the words "plot summary" written all over the paper. And by all over, I mean the paper was covered. She would also give me a bad score on practice papers and then when I went to do the actual assignment/project, tell me I did great when I barely even changed anything. She liked to encourage me to speak up in group discussions by telling me I had great ideas to contribute to the group, but then as soon as I did speak up, she'd interrupt me and shoot down everything I said. It was awful. I was reluctant to take the AP Literature class I took this year, as a junior, because she made me feel like I wasn't good enough for advanced classes, which is why I didn't take one my sophomore year. Two of my most favorite teachers took a month and a half just to convince me to do it.

everlong
May 24th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I think one of the worst things a teacher can do is make his students think they're stupid. You got to be a real ass to do that.

Croconaw
May 27th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Okay, we were playing a review game and this exact question was on it.

Which sentence is correct?

A) Have an apple Adam.
B) Have a apple Adam.
C) Neither.

I said neither, because there is supposed to be a comma between Adam and apple.

It would be:

Have an apple, Adam.

Unfortunately, my teacher says the correct answer is A.

I'm done with English. I swear.

SummerHaze
June 1st, 2016, 07:10 AM
my biology teacher hated me 'cuase i didn't laught when she joked (crazy b1tch)

Sailor Mars
June 1st, 2016, 09:26 AM
I had the worst homeroom teacher in 8th grade. I ended up skipping first period a lot because of her at the end of the year. She failed my projects and always have kids the nastiest looks when they asked questions and made them feel dumb. I got caught by truancy for skipping and I had to get this attendance sheet and she would always make comments about it like "Oh you didn't turn in your hw for this class?" Or "Oh where's Mr ---s signature?" N shit like that. Got me so tight....

Can you ask your fellow students for help?

jmhg11
June 2nd, 2016, 11:18 PM
personally I think the education system is a complete waste of our lives. I mean really teach us how to do our taxes instead of teaching us the difference between different types of rocks.

BrokenWingedPegasus
June 4th, 2016, 11:35 AM
personally I think the education system is a complete waste of our lives. I mean really teach us how to do our taxes instead of teaching us the difference between different types of rocks.

Education is never a waste if done right. When there are situations like ones on this thread, the problem isn't education, it's how it's given. Teachers should know how to deal with kids the same age as the ones they're teaching, otherwise bad things like these can happen.
I'm pretty sure you can learn things about taxes, if you go to economy related courses or something like that. And many things that seem useless in school, might be actually useful in real life, and a situation that you needed that knowledge can appear, but you wouldn't know how to resolve the situation because you didn't like that in school. (I'm not specifically talking about the rock situation, but some things can be good for you :) )