PDA

View Full Version : Members With Disabilities

Cognizant
May 13th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Just curious as to whether any other VT members self-identify or are legally disabled.

I have had IBS and migraines for over a year now; and while I probably wouldn't be able to get a disability placard for my car or declare it on my taxes, its severe enough to get disability support at school and ADA compliance at work.

Just JT
May 24th, 2016, 09:07 AM
I'm sure a lot of members have some sort of disability. I have ADHD, PTSD and IED. Although they are called "disorders" they are about just as debilitating as many disabilities.

I don't have handicaps plates or anything because I have no physical limitation that requires them plus I don't drive. Just goes to show you that not all disabilities are visible.

Most of what I'm dealing with are not really genetic, more as a result of abuse and neglect and loss and abandonment issues. So basically if my parents wnd family wasn't so fucked up, neither would I

Body odah Man
May 24th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Just curious as to whether any other VT members self-identify or are legally disabled.

I have had IBS and migraines for over a year now; and while I probably wouldn't be able to get a disability placard for my car or declare it on my taxes, its severe enough to get disability support at school and ADA compliance at work.

Sorry to hear that :(
I might have Aspergers, it's being tested.

Just JT
May 24th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Sorry to hear that :(
I might have Aspergers, it's being tested.

I have a friends who does to, and another friends brother
They get on ok, but I can see how hard it is. They both do on line forums a lot, seems they do better socially there.

Body odah Man
May 24th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I have a friends who does to, and another friends brother
They get on ok, but I can see how hard it is. They both do on line forums a lot, seems they do better socially there.

It's not officially diagnosed and I could be wrong about it. I find forum chatting easier too, though

thatgothgirluknow
May 24th, 2016, 02:11 PM
where waiting to get testing done for neurological issues we believe i most likely have epilepsy it runs in my family and i show signs of many different types of seizures kinda sucks since my mom won't let me get my permit until we know if i have it and if i do then legally i have to wait a year plus i can't go into the navy unless i am declared seizure free without medication

lemondrop
May 24th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I'm sure a lot of members have some sort of disability. I have ADHD, PTSD and IED. Although they are called "disorders" they are about just as debilitating as many disabilities.

I don't have handicaps plates or anything because I have no physical limitation that requires them plus I don't drive. Just goes to show you that not all disabilities are visible.

Most of what I'm dealing with are not really genetic, more as a result of abuse and neglect and loss and abandonment issues. So basically if my parents wnd family wasn't so fucked up, neither would I

Do you believe in ADHD?

Just JT
May 24th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Do you believe in ADHD?

I absolutely believe in and have ADHD
I also get how many people don't believe it or that it's a thing because it's so k we diagnosed
But with me, yeah, absolutely, I wouldn't even make it out the door for school without stimulant medications. They calm me down, so I can think straight. One doctor told me that one sure sign it's a correct diagnose is the meds make you tyred, and can put me to sleep with the right dose. Stimulants have the opposite extend on people with ADD and ADHD

lemondrop
May 24th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I absolutely believe in and have ADHD
I also get how many people don't believe it or that it's a thing because it's so k we diagnosed
But with me, yeah, absolutely, I wouldn't even make it out the door for school without stimulant medications. They calm me down, so I can think straight. One doctor told me that one sure sign it's a correct diagnose is the meds make you tyred, and can put me to sleep with the right dose. Stimulants have the opposite extend on people with ADD and ADHD

Check video on YT "RSA animate: changing education paradigms" tell me what do you think

Just JT
May 24th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Check video on YT "RSA animate: changing education paradigms" tell me what do you think

Should I google search that or is there a link?

lemondrop
May 24th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Should I google search that or is there a link?

Write what's in (") on youtube there's a video

Abhorrence
May 25th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Although I have no mainly physical disabilities, I did receive sort of disability support when I went to school because of my mental health issues. I was allowed any time off I wanted and didn't have to attend lessons, etc. This was from year 10.

Just JT
May 25th, 2016, 08:43 AM

I saw that, and I think there are some valid point I guess. But keep in mind, ADHD is not a learning disability. It's classified as a disorder, at least it was when I was diagnosed with it. And, how ADHD affects me, really has had little to do with learning. More behavioral than anything else. Yes my behavior has been disruptive in school, due to a number of things, but I don't feel like what I am like. As being properly depicted in that video, just my feeling and opinion. Does t mean it's not true, I think of the stats are true and correct, there may be some validity.

But for me, if I don't take my adderol in the morning, literally, I'll be half dressed eating breakfast, brushing my teeth getting into the shower all at the same time.
No joke, yeah, it's that bad, I simply can't slow my thought process down enough to get out of my own way.

lemondrop
May 25th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I saw that, and I think there are some valid point I guess. But keep in mind, ADHD is not a learning disability. It's classified as a disorder, at least it was when I was diagnosed with it. And, how ADHD affects me, really has had little to do with learning. More behavioral than anything else. Yes my behavior has been disruptive in school, due to a number of things, but I don't feel like what I am like. As being properly depicted in that video, just my feeling and opinion. Does t mean it's not true, I think of the stats are true and correct, there may be some validity.

But for me, if I don't take my adderol in the morning, literally, I'll be half dressed eating breakfast, brushing my teeth getting into the shower all at the same time.
No joke, yeah, it's that bad, I simply can't slow my thought process down enough to get out of my own way.

what about sports ? you could put your energy there or even dances

Just JT
May 25th, 2016, 08:57 AM
what about sports ? you could put your energy there or even dances

Your right, I could and I do. I'm actually very active, just not a fan of competitive sports. I ski, snowboard, run, hike, etc, all burn off excess energy, but that's only part of it. For me, with out meds, I'd be so disorganized, I'd try and do all at the same time. And as a result, I'd fail miserably obviously, and not accomplish anything, except me making a mess, da heinous situation, and more work for me and someone else, and not even come close to achieving my goals.

I get what your saying, I really do, and there is a lot of merit in what you say. But that's how my life is for me. With meds, I'm fairly successful at obtaining my basic daily life goals and tasks, as well as other things I enjoy doing. Sometimes just getting to school, that's a successful day for me

Melodic
May 25th, 2016, 02:29 PM
As far as physical disabilities, I have Kyphosis.

As far as mental health, I've been diagnosed with Sluggish Cognitive Tempo and Aspergers. My doctors in my hometown were pretty shitty so I got rediagnosed constantly with different mood disorders over the years. I have some type of mood disorder but it's unknown what it is as of right now.

Just JT
May 25th, 2016, 09:18 PM
As far as physical disabilities, I have Kyphosis.

As far as mental health, I've been diagnosed with Sluggish Cognitive Tempo and Aspergers. My doctors in my hometown were pretty shitty so I got rediagnosed constantly with different mood disorders over the years. I have some type of mood disorder but it's unknown what it is as of right now.

Hey...I'm sorry, but idku what all that means, and I'm pretty sure if I gllgle that I'll get like a textbook version of someone's life, and not how your life is like
You mind telling what that all is?

Dalcourt
May 26th, 2016, 12:50 AM
I don't suffer from anything that is seen as a disability however I'm suffering from bipolar and I have asthma and several allergies

Just JT
May 26th, 2016, 04:24 AM
I don't suffer from anything that is seen as a disability however I'm suffering from bipolar and I have asthma and several allergies

I know bipolar is a "disorder" a lot like what I deal with. But I'd say ita also a disease to in many ways wouldn't you?

Dalcourt
May 26th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I know bipolar is a "disorder" a lot like what I deal with. But I'd say ita also a disease to in many ways wouldn't you?

dunno in what way could it be a disease? honestly I don't think much about it at all I have learned to live with it and that's it. I usually don't talk about it to people around me as I don't want them to see me as someone with some kind of illness or disorder. I prefer them to just see me as a cranky little freak and not someone they have to be careful around, ya know?

Just JT
May 26th, 2016, 02:44 PM
dunno in what way could it be a disease? honestly I don't think much about it at all I have learned to live with it and that's it. I usually don't talk about it to people around me as I don't want them to see me as someone with some kind of illness or disorder. I prefer them to just see me as a cranky little freak and not someone they have to be careful around, ya know?

Yeah, I think I do get it. And maybe an illness is a better word? Idk, seems so full of words and labels, and we all just are I guess.

Melodic
May 26th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Hey...I'm sorry, but idku what all that means, and I'm pretty sure if I gllgle that I'll get like a textbook version of someone's life, and not how your life is like
You mind telling what that all is?

Sure no problem.
http://www.islandorthotics.org/img/services/kyphosis_visual.jpg

Kyphosis is an abnormal curve of the spine (shown in the picture above)

Sluggish Cognitive Tempo is similar to ADHD. I lose focus in a lot of things, I daydream a lot, and I process things slowly. I lose my train of thought and have trouble putting thoughts into words.

I saw you mention something about Aspergers so I figure you already know that.

Just JT
May 26th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Thanks Melodic that's a big help, also adopt how your life is to
Thanks for sharing

Matryoshkasystem
May 30th, 2016, 11:19 PM
I medically physically have shones syndrome,been fixed, but up until a bunch of changes happened, I was legally disabled. Though I think mentally I am depressed, have OCD-at least tendencies-, social anxiety, dissociative disorder, maybe some other stuff. They want me tested for expressive language disorder-more likely to come back with receptive expressive language disorder. Though I am wondering if I'm an aspie a lot of stuff lines up. Only problem with that is that I don't seem severe-my sis is borderline autistic and go to school with someone autistic-, so I kinda doubt it. I also never got diagnosed with any thin as a child, so makes it more unlikely-I spent the majority of my childhood around doctors-.