PDA

View Full Version : Anti-depressants

Fiction
May 13th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I was just wondering what people's experiences on anti-depressants are? Good, bad, indifferent, I want to hear.

I'm starting them tomorrow. I'm not sure which one yet because my psychiatrist said he was going to research because some are better for those with eating disorders? I'm not sure whether he just meant ones that won't cause weight gain and freak me out or what. I've never heard of certain ones being better for that than others but oh well.

So not sure which one, i'm going to assume SSRIs since they're the standard first line antidepressants, but yeah if you could just let me know which ones you're talking about too.

I've resisted taking anti-depressants for so long and i'm quite apprehensive, but this is my last ditch attempt to sort this.

EDIT: been given fluoxetine

Almostahero
May 19th, 2016, 10:00 AM
I have had good experience with them. The thing that sucks about them is you HAVE to take them everyday and it's not like a pop pill be happy thing. It takes about two weeks for them to start.

As with anything, there are pros and cons. But as for me the pros out weigh the cons.

Some can cause weight gain while other can actually make you lose weight. There are literally hundreds of different kinds.

llamabanana
May 19th, 2016, 12:28 PM
My exprerience with anti-depressants in so-so. Not bad but also didn't fix anything. I'm taking them two years ago, at first month or two my friends said I'm more friendly and I started opening up to them. My psychologist then, said to increase the quantity to get more effect. It did not solve all my problems or made me a new person. I remember myself crying in my room alot even though I put a calm face outside. I had an emotional breakdown and didn't feel the need to go to school anymore. (I got back eventually and now on track) I really hoped it would fix me and I would forget all my numbness.

I think the change is really slow, and my advice to u if your question in still "active" is that you need to do other physical things to increase your "healing" speed
mine is no more endless hours playing games, instead going outside and do sports. (sports is a thing my psychologist and 3 different psychiatrists recommended to me)
reading, drawing , doing something productive (I sound like a teacher haha)
I take now more powerful anti-depressants but its not good to rely on those.

Vermilion
May 19th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Not bad really. Worked ok most of it I think is in the head. Did find that they become kinda unless after about 10 months or so. But did help

Fiction
May 20th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Been on fluoxetine a week now and it's made me really anxious. I wake up in the night with a horrible anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach and had a few near panic attacks, but it seems to have improved my concentration and ability to study which has lifted my mood a little.