May 7th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Who else is aboard the hype train for Nvidia's newest graphics card??:metal:

phuckphace
May 7th, 2016, 09:03 AM
>six hundred Au

jesus

dxcxdzv
May 7th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I saw that the 1080 is not better than a 980 Ti OC.
Well, I guess we'll need to wait for the final versions' release.

nobbs66
May 11th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Couldn't care less. The top end Vega 11 card is rumored to have 6000 shaders with HBM2.

Flapjack
May 20th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I am sooooo hyped!!!!! Can't wait to order the founders edition!!!

I saw that the 1080 is not better than a 980 Ti OC.
Well, I guess we'll need to wait for the final versions' release.

Source? How would you define better because I generally use teraflops untill gameplay comes out.

Posts merged. Use the edit button next time. ~Mars

dxcxdzv
May 20th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Source? How would you define better because I generally use teraflops untill gameplay comes out.
FLOPS are in no way a good point of comparison when it comes to certain types of "processing power".

I can't provide you a reliable source because 1) I didn't save it and 2) it was in French.

Flapjack
May 20th, 2016, 05:11 PM
FLOPS are in no way a good point of comparison when it comes to certain types of "processing power".

I can't provide you a reliable source because 1) I didn't save it and 2) it was in French.

No they are a very good measure of performancexD Obviously if there is 1gb of vram or a insufficient psu it won't do good but flops are a very good comparison tool, especially as both of the cards are from nvidia.

It just sounds fishy because teh only info out there atm is how much more powerful it is compared to a titan x. I have seen it in some games not perform as well as 2x 980s in sli but this is to be expected as the 1080 is 75% more powerful than the 980.

dxcxdzv
May 20th, 2016, 05:18 PM
No they are a very good measure of performancexD Obviously if there is 1gb of vram or a insufficient psu it won't do good but flops are a very good comparison tool, especially as both of the cards are from nvidia.

Floating Points Operations Per Second refer to the "pure" processing power of a system, however, this does not indicate how the system manages the calculation and how far its "specialization" (if I dare say) are proficient.
For examples the FLOPS do not indicate the capacity of a graphic card to manage shaders or simply its capacity to process images at a certain frame rate.

You can - for example - have 2 TFLOPS mainly specialized in increment, this in no way indicates that the system can handle 3D modeling, for example.

Still, as you said, the notion of FLOPS becomes more relevant when it comes to talk specifically about a certain manufacturer, like Nvidia.
I won't use them to describe the power of a system at a certain task (like image rendering) though.