PDA

View Full Version : Britain set to be hotter than Ibiza this weekend

bougainvillea
May 3rd, 2016, 01:29 PM
http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-03/britain-set-to-be-hotter-than-ibiza-this-weekend/

Do you think this is due to the overlooming climate change? What does everyone think about this? Regarding that it's currently 13C (56F) as I type this, I find this very very very out of the ordinary that the temperatures would soar so high?

Personally, I'm not one for hot weather, so I might just hibernate in my fridge until this all blows over. :cool:

dxcxdzv
May 3rd, 2016, 02:47 PM
This is just a spontaneous case, nothing especially climate change related.

Plane And Simple
May 3rd, 2016, 04:28 PM
30 here in Spain today. Wouldn't surprise me, now would I say it's climate change related. We get this a lot at this time of the year

candorgen
May 3rd, 2016, 05:05 PM
The weather this year has been unexpected generally for most of it. But, saying that a normally cool-temperate country is warmer than country X which is normally much warmer than it, feels like opportunistic exaggeration. So the UK is predicted to be hotter than Ibiza, alright. The other side of the story is that Ibiza is not usually cooler than the UK though.

Also, don't treat 24 degrees C like 34! Sure, we were justified during that heatwave of July 2013, but maybe not as much this time - not being cold doesn't mean it's Mediterranean such that we can dip in the sea and think we are immune from colds and related things.

(Not trying to dampen it, just adding a pinch of calm realism :D .)

Endeavour
May 5th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Ok, I started thinking about this but then my Geography mind came on, so this might be a little long:

When I got back from school today it was 21C, and according to the averages, the temperature should be between 7C and 14C, so yes it is hotter than normal. However, we learned in Geography that the UK might actually get colder with climate change. The UK is kept warm from the warm seas coming from around the Caribbean area (the Gulf Stream) which keeps the UK (relatively) warm. However, if climate change is happening, then the water from the ice caps will enter the Gulf stream and eventually cause it to fail. This will mean we no longer have a warm weather system coming in, and the UK will get cold.