PDA

View Full Version : Working in a trade ?

Vermilion
April 27th, 2016, 06:58 AM
So I've been meaning to ask this but never get around to doing so any Vt member like me are in a trade/ learning one ?

So I study carpentry but I also do electrics and plumbing at work.

Typhlosion
April 28th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I don't work at a trade, but I did go to vocational school for programming. I recommend it! Now I'm an intern programming for ModClima, a company that works with climate.

ImCoolBeans
April 28th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I'm not going to vocational school or learning a trade, but my entire paternal side of the family is in a trade. They're 4 generations deep as plumbers, my dad and one of my brothers own a plumbing/heating/fire sprinkler company and do other contracting work as well. My other two brothers are both plumbers too, but don't live in the area anymore. I've worked with them a lot and like to think I'm pretty handy, but I don't plan on following in their footsteps. But if you drop a ring down the sink or need a toilet set, I'm your man :P

kev1998
April 28th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I think that everyone should learn a trade even if they choose a different career path in life. My dad for instance is a warden at a state prison but he is also a licensed electrician. His career is law enforcement but he has his electrical skills to fall back on in case he suddenly finds himself out of a job.

Vermilion
April 29th, 2016, 12:19 AM
I think that everyone should learn a trade even if they choose a different career path in life. My dad for instance is a warden at a state prison but he is also a licensed electrician. His career is law enforcement but he has his electrical skills to fall back on in case he suddenly finds himself out of a job.

I have to say it's interesting what your dad does :) but I have to disagree with everyone learning a trade as there would be less work. I do think everyone should be a to change a washer put up a shelf ect

Xiao.Z
April 29th, 2016, 01:17 AM
I believe learn trade work good idea so always have method to make income. My other topic about join to military also function to give me skill to become law enforcement when my military time complete.

thatcountrykid
April 29th, 2016, 02:24 AM
I did some welding and can do the 4 main types. Mig, tig, arc, and oxy fusion

xXl0sth0peXx
May 4th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I guess I am, since I'm a part of the culinary industry. I've never really considered it a trade before though.. it's just what I do. I've never done a vocational school or anything, although I do go to a culinary college for what it's worth.

Vermilion
May 8th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies :)

Cognizant
May 11th, 2016, 03:47 AM
If a career/education in healthcare doesn't work out for me, I was considering going to a vocational school to become a (preferably ASE-certified) Automotive Technician. I'd either work for a dealer or I had this startup idea of app-based/on demand car service.

My first step is to try taking an evening Auto tech class at my community college and see if I like it or not. I really like driving cars, so I'd imagine I would enjoy working on them too.

Tim987
May 31st, 2016, 04:38 AM
So I've been meaning to ask this but never get around to doing so any Vt member like me are in a trade/ learning one ?

So I study carpentry but I also do electrics and plumbing at work.

I want to start my own blacksmithing/knifesmithing/propmaking buisness eheh

Just JT
May 31st, 2016, 05:14 AM
I'm going to a new high school as a freshmen next year. I've been accepted into a vocational/technical school. I'm really looking forward to it. A lot of my friends already go there so I know quite a bit about it and how stuff is. I might choose carpentry but can't choose yet. I need to complete the sis overly program first

Seems to me this is like the best deal going. You learn a trade, and graduate from high school as well. Then your ready for work, or go to college