PDA

View Full Version : It's killing me

Fiction
April 25th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Because of my large alcohol intake, I had some blood tests taken a few weeks ago.

Good news: My liver is fine.

Bad news: Alcohol is effecting my red blood cells.

I'm 20 fucking years old. Why is this happening to me? Why can't I stop?

Vermilion
April 25th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Stopping drinking is hard. I say that from my own experience of living with an alcoholic and trying not to drink myself

Fiction
April 25th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Stopping drinking is hard. I say that from my own experience of living with an alcoholic and trying not to drink myself

I've stopped smoking twice but have never been able to stop drinking. Maybe this is the kick up the backside I need. Not sure what this entails though yet. Not sure if it's a "Cut down and you'll be fine" or a "stop for a while then be sensible about it" or a "never drink again" type thing.

They're re-doing the blood tests soon so I guess it depends on the results of that and we'll see then.

Vermilion
April 25th, 2016, 01:01 PM
I've stopped smoking twice but have never been able to stop drinking. Maybe this is the kick up the backside I need. Not sure what this entails though yet. Not sure if it's a "Cut down and you'll be fine" or a "stop for a while then be sensible about it" or a "never drink again" type thing.

They're re-doing the blood tests soon so I guess it depends on the results of that and we'll see then.

Have you ever tried to cut down ?

Fiction
April 25th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Have you ever tried to cut down ?

I'm never not trying to cut down.

Vermilion
April 25th, 2016, 01:12 PM
I'm never not trying to cut down.

You gone cold turkey before ?

Fiction
April 25th, 2016, 02:00 PM
You gone cold turkey before ?

Yes I have, it never lasts though.

My main issue is that drinking is such a social thing. I live by myself and at the moment I don't have uni so 70% of my social interaction involves alcohol, and it's much easier to not go to these things than to go and not drink.

I haven't spoken to another person face to face since Friday. I've been invited out this Friday but there will be alcohol. If I don't go then...

I even thought about going home to my parents this weekend but they drink a lot. I can't even go back to my parents without the temptation.

It feels like the only way to stop is to totally isolate myself and then i'll just fall into depression.

It's not as simple as just stopping, it's changing a whole lifestyle.

Vermilion
April 25th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Yes I have, it never lasts though.

My main issue is that drinking is such a social thing. I live by myself and at the moment I don't have uni so 70% of my social interaction involves alcohol, and it's much easier to not go to these things than to go and not drink.

I haven't spoken to another person face to face since Friday. I've been invited out this Friday but there will be alcohol. If I don't go then...

I even thought about going home to my parents this weekend but they drink a lot. I can't even go back to my parents without the temptation.

It feels like the only way to stop is to totally isolate myself and then i'll just fall into depression.

It's not as simple as just stopping, it's changing a whole lifestyle.

I understand it being a social norm to drink. And staying away can help but causes depression. Have you ever been to any help groups ?

phuckphace
April 25th, 2016, 02:24 PM
my advice is to switch to marijuana

I'm serious, by the way. stoners are stupid but w/e, at least with pot you can get as blasted as you want without having to worry about seriously hurting yourself. alcohol in my case was always a self-limiting habit because I can't stand the hot-flushed face and prickly sensation you get from it, but yeah. disregard this post if you've tried it before and reacted badly (I hear it can sometimes fuck with depression).

Fiction
April 25th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I understand it being a social norm to drink. And staying away can help but causes depression. Have you ever been to any help groups ?

I attend group therapy but it's not alcohol specific. I've looked into them before but things such as AA look far too religious for me...

my advice is to switch to marijuana

I'm serious, by the way. stoners are stupid but w/e, at least with pot you can get as blasted as you want without having to worry about seriously hurting yourself. alcohol in my case was always a self-limiting habit because I can't stand the hot-flushed face and prickly sensation you get from it, but yeah. disregard this post if you've tried it before and reacted badly (I hear it can sometimes fuck with depression).

If only it was legal I honestly would in a heartbeat.

Lost in the Echo
April 25th, 2016, 05:32 PM
I've noticed it's easier to cut down on your addiction if you have a partner to do it with you.

I'm drunk ATM ( dumb phone likes capital letters ). But anyway, I think if you have someone try to sober up with you, it might help.
I'm trying to sober up myself. If you are sober, and try to be with someone else, it's probably easier.

I'll be there for you. We can do this :)

Fiction
April 25th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I've noticed it's easier to cut down on your addiction if you have a partner to do it with you.

I'm drunk ATM ( dumb phone likes capital letters ). But anyway, I think if you have someone try to sober up with you, it might help.
I'm trying to sober up myself. If you are sober, and try to be with someone else, it's probably easier.

I'll be there for you. We can do this :)

Well if you're suggesting we try and stop together I'd be happy to try and help you too?

Lost in the Echo
April 25th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Well if you're suggesting we try and stop together I'd be happy to try and help you too?

Yeah, sorry I wasn't too coherent. I'd love that, actually. :)
You up for it?

Human
April 30th, 2016, 05:46 PM
If you ever need to talk to anyone, message me, I'll listen to anything you have to say

Fiction
May 1st, 2016, 01:07 PM
If you ever need to talk to anyone, message me, I'll listen to anything you have to say

Thank you, it means a lot.

Not sure if I'm allowed to ask... but, how much do you drink?

I find it much easier to not drink than I do to only drink a small amount. So I probably drink 2-3 nights a week, but I tend to drink at least 2 bottles of wine at a time (about 16 units), sometimes more.