PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in the ocean?

Cadanance00
April 20th, 2016, 05:03 PM
What are your thoughts on swimming in the ocean. I used to think it was a LOT of fun but now I worry about shark attacks, jellyfish and things like that. It seems like when you get in the ocean you're part of the food chain.

I know the odds of getting bitten by a shark are supposed to be remote, but the consequences are ugly. Also there are jellyfish that will kill you, or make you wish you were dead. A marine biologist wrote that tuna and barracuda bite people, too and sharks get the blame most of the time. And there's such a thing as a finger shark that's just big enough to bite off a finger, which is a good reason for guys not to skinny dip in the ocean, which is really fun BTW.

I wish I could go back to just enjoying it.

Bmble_B
April 20th, 2016, 05:10 PM
I can't swim so never decided to scare myself by thinking about it.

Cadanance00
April 20th, 2016, 06:32 PM
You should learn. It's easy and fun and a good skill to have.

Bmble_B
April 20th, 2016, 07:17 PM
You should learn. It's easy and fun and a good skill to have.
Yeah I want to! Hopefully soon...

everlong
April 20th, 2016, 08:50 PM
It's fun

Kevgpdx
April 20th, 2016, 09:24 PM
I like to swim, but swimming in the ocean freaks me out! I like rivers. Hahaha

Let Me Be a Pony
April 20th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Fuck the ocean, too eeky there. Swimming in a Venice canal is my only dream.

swimjoey1
April 21st, 2016, 11:17 AM
I only swim in the ocean when I was in hawaii. The ocean here is very cold and dirty.

Mattlol
April 22nd, 2016, 10:28 AM
I like it, but i hate jellyfish>.>

nebula
April 22nd, 2016, 10:29 AM
I like swimming in the sea, but in the UK it's too cold. Better when I was on holiday.

Typhlosion
April 24th, 2016, 01:20 PM
I'm scared of swimming in the ocean because of the current. I can't swim, but I did go kayaking once. The fact that a lot of beaches are polluted is something to worry about too.

dxcxdzv
April 24th, 2016, 01:48 PM
There are a lot of freakie freakie freaks in the water but nothing serious near the coast.

Leprous
April 24th, 2016, 03:08 PM
3 words : Fuck.The.Ocean. Seriously that place is way to scary and deep and empty and big and wet and deadly and full of fish and full of predators and has currents and you can drown there and salt and if you get lost you're dead and then you die.

Ocean seems okay.

Cadanance00
April 24th, 2016, 04:52 PM
3 words : Fuck.The.Ocean. Seriously that place is way to scary and deep and empty and big and wet and deadly and full of fish and full of predators and has currents and you can drown there and salt and if you get lost you're dead and then you die.

Ocean seems okay.

Oh. .

Emerald Dream
April 24th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Going to the beach is fine (though I wouldn't want to go all the time), but going out more than a few feet into the water scares me. I don't like the current, and I get creeped out by anything that brushes up against me.

I do see where surfing and sailing can be appealing, though.

Falcons_11
April 24th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I like swimming in the ocean. I usually swim in Florida. But a couples times we have gone to Padre Island in south Texas. I haven't seen any sharks though. But I have seen jellyfish and manta rays. I like ocean swimming because the salt water is invigorating. But a real danger is the undertow. You have to be aware of that. I usually won't go swimming if the seas are rough for that reason.

BlackParadePixie
April 25th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I've done this many times and it's never bothered me. The beaches here usually have lots of people on them and lots of people in the water, so I think most littler sharks might be scared off. They have life guards in towers and also scouting from above in helicopters occasionally, and if they ever see a Great White, they close the beaches.

Xiao.Z
April 25th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Swim ocean great fun. I love feel of tide pushing and pulling. Never see any danger fish but scare once by seaweed (it wrap leg and make scream). See rays swim so beautiful for watch. I wish go Australia for dive coral reef. Also plan cruise trip from Florida we suppose have opportunity swim with dolphin. I so excite for opportunity to play with dolphin such beauty and intelligent animal.

PinkFloyd
April 25th, 2016, 10:05 PM
When I was five or six years old, my family took a trip to Belize. It was great. We ate good food, experienced nature, and we even climbed an ancient Mayan Pyramid with a tour guide. However, one day we went fishing and I swam in the ocean. The funny thing about oceans is that lots of different sea creatures inhabit it; One being the Box Jelly Fish. I was stung by a baby one of them and I had to be rushed to the hospital. I'm not much of a fan of oceans now.

pjones
April 26th, 2016, 06:00 PM
love swimming in the ocean. there have been shark attacks near where i live, a boy a few years ago was badly bitten. most of the time we swim where there are lifeguards, tho sometimes we sneak off so we can swim nude and no lifeguards there. swimming nude in the ocean, riding the waves is awesome. but you do have to be a little careful. there are places that don't feel very nice with sand in them :eek: not having a foreskin helps :D

Jinglebottom
April 27th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I've never heard of shark attack reports in my area (although that doesn't mean killer sharks don't exist in our sea) so I'm not worried about that, the most "dangerous" marine species I've come across in my entire life were pufferfish. Whenever it's jellyfish season (usually late July, August) I simply avoid the sea in favor of pools. The biggest reason why I personally am not a big fan of the ocean, is because of its severely polluted nature on our shores. It's a shame.

rioo
April 27th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Maybe someday, but I'm not really good swimming in deep. There is big ocean here, just afraid some jellyfish and sharp things.

Cadanance00
April 27th, 2016, 09:12 AM
there are places that don't feel very nice with sand in them :eek: not having a foreskin helps :D

I don't have a foreskin so I don't know. Can you really get sand in it?

As for the rest, I like to body surf, which is catching a breaking wave and riding under the crest up the beach. Does get sand in the suit but you can pull it down before you get out of the water and wash the sand out.

pjones
April 27th, 2016, 05:43 PM
I don't have a foreskin so I don't know. Can you really get sand in it?

As for the rest, I like to body surf, which is catching a breaking wave and riding under the crest up the beach. Does get sand in the suit but you can pull it down before you get out of the water and wash the sand out.

just guessing about sand in a foreskin, it gets everywhere else so figured it might get in there too.

actually wearing a speedo keeps the sand out. when i wore board shorts i'd get a lot of sand inside. easy to squat down and loosen them up to rinse out so nobody really sees anything, just a pain

Cadanance00
April 28th, 2016, 10:21 AM
just guessing about sand in a foreskin, it gets everywhere else so figured it might get in there too.

actually wearing a speedo keeps the sand out. when i wore board shorts i'd get a lot of sand inside. easy to squat down and loosen them up to rinse out so nobody really sees anything, just a pain

Yeah, I got a nut-hugger but I'd wear nothing if I could get away with it.

jsands
April 28th, 2016, 01:49 PM
I love swimming in the ocean but can never help thinking that I'll either get drifted out or get eaten by something (Which I know in the UK is likely never to happen).
But if you think about it you're swimming in exactly the same water that a mahusive man-eating shark/octopus/unknown leviathan lives.

kev1998
April 28th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I swim in the ocean every time we go to the beach. I have been stung by a jelly fish once in my life and never really been close to a shark that I know of.

pjones
April 28th, 2016, 05:44 PM

wearing nothing is lots better

nekid
May 30th, 2016, 12:51 PM
I love swimming in the ocean

SethfromMI
May 30th, 2016, 02:19 PM
its nice, but for actual swimming, I would rather go to a lake

Dalcourt
May 30th, 2016, 02:41 PM
I love swimming in the ocean and never had any bad experiences with jellyfish or sharks or anything else

kevenity
May 31st, 2016, 01:59 AM
I'm terrified of the ocean. One of my greatest fears are tsunamis and sharks. Last time i swam in the ocean was in clear turquoise water in Hawaii 3 tears ago.

sdavid54321
June 9th, 2016, 05:54 PM
i love it its awesome!:D

Cadanance00
June 9th, 2016, 06:58 PM
i love it its awesome!:D

It is awesome. I used to really like it until I started worrying about sharks and jellyfish and all the other slimy things with sharp teeth.

Just JT
June 9th, 2016, 09:15 PM

wearing nothing is lots better

It's the only way to swim anytime, if you can
Ocean is great, never had a jelly fish problem, never saw a shark either

Besides, Sharks won't usually attack unless their provoked somehow. And being outside of their "comfort zone" is provoking....

pjones
June 11th, 2016, 08:33 AM
It's the only way to swim anytime, if you can
Ocean is great, never had a jelly fish problem, never saw a shark either

Besides, Sharks won't usually attack unless their provoked somehow. And being outside of their "comfort zone" is provoking....

we've had some shark attacks in this area so you're supposed to swim where there are life guards.

Flapjack
June 11th, 2016, 10:10 AM
I love swimming in the sea!! No real dangerous animals but my friend once caught a jelly fish in a bucket!