PDA

View Full Version : RIP Gib Guilbeau

The Byrd
April 13th, 2016, 12:18 PM
My third RIP thread in this diary. Steve Young, Merle Haggard, and now Gib Guilbeau. Not to mention the deaths of Glenn Frey and Red Simpson before the diary was created. This year is cursed. :(

Another one of my musical heroes passed away today. Floyd "Gib" Guilbeau may be the most singularly important person in the development of Country Rock. Yes, even more than Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman. Before either of them made their first recordings, before Rick Nelson made "Bright Lights", Gib was pioneering this music whilst helping the genre's future stars get their starts. Clarence White, Gene Parsons, & John Beland all cut their teeth working with Gib. His early Bakersfield International singles, his work in Swampwater, and his Nashville albums serve as a groundwork for Country Rock. The Byrds, The Burritos, & The Eagles owe much of their sound to Gib's work. Speaking of the Burritos, it was not until Gib took over the band that they became national hitmakers and commercially viable. Gib had a quality to his voice that's all too rare, and few people could write such compelling Country songs, both lyrically and musically. I've been listening to his music for my whole life. The saddest part about his passing is that Gib's passing will go largely unnoticed. He wasn't a big star, but his influence on this music is evident to anyone who takes the time to listen. I'll remember you, Gib. Thanks for the music. RIP:

Axwv6evZUGc