PDA

View Full Version : Surgery To Change My Appearance

Moriya
April 12th, 2016, 12:57 AM
@Mods: You are welcome to move this thread to whatever forum seems fit. I'm posting this here because this forum semi-seemed appropriate.

I'm really not happy with my appearance. Yeah sure, I'm still going through puberty but it's obviously not doing justice for me. And aside height and weight, nothing has changed since, idk, 2014. I've decided that if nothing signifigantly changes by [at least] 2018, I'm getting surgery.

What wrong with your appearance? You may ask. Well...

-My eyebrows and eyelashes are plucked to no return, and my hair isn't growing.

-I have a long face and short jaw. This causes a lot of dental problems for me. Plus my facial skin is really thin.

-Teeth are short due to excessive grinding

-I have shitty eyesight and it's only getting worse. I'm sick of wearing glasses.

-My back has a permanent hump and my shoulders are noticeably uneven. This is due to carrying a heavy backpack.

-My breasts. God, they're a burden to me. My right breast is smaller compared to my left. It's almost like the former stopped growing while the latter continues to. I always have to tighten my right bra strap and loosen the left. Just recently I started stuffing the right side of my bra.

-My legs are also uneven. Everytime I walk I feel a slight limp. I'm also too tall. Maybe they can remove some bone.

Maybe this is my depression talking, maybe it's not. Either way, I hate the way I look and I want to permanently change it. Any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

StoppingTom
April 12th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I'm gonna try to break this down into manageable chunks, because there's a lot to unpack here.

1) You're still just 14, you have a lot of time to finish growing, and you may find that over time, some of these issues may end up resolving themselves.

2) You mentioned depression. Do you think it's possible you may be viewing yourself in an overly critical/harsh light because of this? What I mean is, these problems may seem overly exaggerated in your mind but are barely noticeable to other people.

3) With the amount of things you've listed, it would take a lot of surgeries and years to get through all of them. I don't even know if there are surgeries to fix things like thin facial skin. Like, how does that get fixed?

4) A lot of cosmetic surgeries are not covered by insurance, which means you're paying for all of them out of pocket unless you somehow manage to convince your provider that these surgeries are necessary for your life.

While I think a lot of your "issues"' may be exaggerated in your mind, there are some things I find concerning. Namely, the teeth grinding is a serioud problem, and can lead to painful conditions like TMJ. I have back problems as well from carrying a heavy backpack for years, so what I started doing is carry only the bare necessities in my backpack, and leave everything else at home/my locker.

Moriya
April 12th, 2016, 07:18 PM
I'm gonna try to break this down into manageable chunks, because there's a lot to unpack here.

1) You're still just 14, you have a lot of time to finish growing, and you may find that over time, some of these issues may end up resolving themselves.

2) You mentioned depression. Do you think it's possible you may be viewing yourself in an overly critical/harsh light because of this? What I mean is, these problems may seem overly exaggerated in your mind but are barely noticeable to other people.

3) With the amount of things you've listed, it would take a lot of surgeries and years to get through all of them. I don't even know if there are surgeries to fix things like thin facial skin. Like, how does that get fixed?

4) A lot of cosmetic surgeries are not covered by insurance, which means you're paying for all of them out of pocket unless you somehow manage to convince your provider that these surgeries are necessary for your life.

While I think a lot of your "issues"' may be exaggerated in your mind, there are some things I find concerning. Namely, the teeth grinding is a serioud problem, and can lead to painful conditions like TMJ. I have back problems as well from carrying a heavy backpack for years, so what I started doing is carry only the bare necessities in my backpack, and leave everything else at home/my locker.

You're right...However, I did tell my parents about the teeth grinding and they've yet to do anything. I think they're waiting until my braces come off.