PDA

View Full Version : Medications

TrillClinton
April 10th, 2016, 02:14 PM
For those of you who are diagnosed with a mental illness, are any of you taking medication for it?

I'm basically big pharma's bitch. I take 4 different medications daily as prescribed by my psychiatrist. Two are mood stabilizers and two are antidepressants. Don't ask me why I take so much, I am currently working on that with my psychiatrist.

And what is your opinion on psychiatric medication? Are we prescribing too much? Not enough?

As for the medications I'm taking, I am on Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Neurontin, and Lithium.
Wellbutrin is a great anti-depressant. Once I started taking Wellbutrin I could notice a change in my energy level and I was able to get past depression and actually do stuff. On the other hand, it severely increased my anxiety to the point where I found it had to function. This led to me being put on Lexapro to combat the anxiety, which it did. I'm also prescribed Neurontin and Lithium as mood stabilizers to control my Bipolar I. While they have worked extremely well, I just don't feel the same. They have completely stabilized my mood and I no longer feel like I'm going to crack or break any moment, but I just don't feel like the same person. I miss being manic and acting crazy. I always pretended to be happy because it was hard for me to truly experience happiness. But when I was manic I didn't feel like I was pretending anymore. I felt like the mask came off and this is who I truly was. Now I miss it.

Kaeneus
May 20th, 2016, 07:18 AM
I'm on lexapro, but I forget to take it pretty often. That, and it keeps me awake at night so I kinda don't like taking it. But on that last note, when you said like you only felt like yourself when you were manic, I've just gotta say: your mental illness is an illness. It is cureable. It's not who you are. You are more you when you are stable, and your brain is functioning unimpaired. You might have gotten so used to mania that it feels like your truth but you disease is not who you are.

Fiction
May 20th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Currently taking Zopiclone and fluoxetine.

I love my Zopiclone sooo much, means when I get fed up of the day I can literally put myself to sleep. I'm sure I'd have ended up hurting myself if I hadn't had that. It means I can get myself out of a crisis situation- all be it by knocking myself out.

Fluoxetine I've only actually been on a week, so haven't felt the full effects yet.

As for over/under prescription I really think it depends from place to place and doctor to doctor. I tried to commit suicide twice in my teens and was offered nothing, and maybe if they'd given me meds then I'd be better off now?

But then I hear of a lot of people on anti-depressants who I don't believe ever knew the true meaning of depression. But perhaps they were just really good at hiding it, who knows.