PDA

View Full Version : Therapist

Girl876
April 10th, 2016, 12:51 PM
This morning I worked up the courage to tell my parents that I want to go to see a therapist. I know its a good thing that I'm finally getting help to understand myself and move on but I'm pretty nervous about it. I've been telling myself I'm an absolute hypochondriac and an 'attention-seeker' for months as I obsessively researched how I was feeling; I still feel this way. Its been a bit of a battle to realise that I may need more support and I can't fix it by myself. I mean, has anyone got any tips for when you first see a therapist? This will be the first time I've ever seen one. I would really appreciate any help. :)

SubEruanna
May 3rd, 2016, 09:43 AM
therapists are like best friends with actual advice and they dont share their own stories as much. they're trained to allow you to feel comfortable with them, otherwise nobody would be talking. as a result the nervousness doesnt last long. you'll be fine :)
one thing though, your parents may want to know what you and the therapist talked about, and this is one of the few times in a child's life where they dont have to know. it's alright to keep it confidential. On the other hand, if you want them to know, chat away :)
hope it goes well :)