PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop

TrillClinton
April 7th, 2016, 08:46 PM
How many of you listen to Hip Hop/Rap?

It's been all I've listened to my whole life. People mention these other rock bands and R&B singers and I have no idea what they're talking about bc all I listen to is Rap.

My top 3 favorite rappers rn are Drake, Kanye, and Future. I also love Flatbush Zombies, Mac Miller, A$AP Rocky, Chief Keef, Lil Wayne. I love pretty much any rapper. I'm no backpacker and I'm not with all that "real" hip hop bullshit.

KingWavy
April 7th, 2016, 09:08 PM
nice man i love rap too we gotta talk soon bro

TrillClinton
April 7th, 2016, 09:22 PM
nice man i love rap too we gotta talk soon bro

What you listen to bro? You a Max B fan? I'm guessing by the wavy username haha

KingWavy
April 7th, 2016, 09:33 PM
haha yeah I fucks with everybody from max b to superduper kyle to flatbush to Isiah Rashad to Larry June. If I like it I like it

TrillClinton
April 7th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Isaiah Rashad is my shiiiit. I bump Cilvia Demo almost daily

PinkFloyd
April 8th, 2016, 12:18 AM
I'm not much into it, but I know the big names like Eminam, Tupac, Notorious BIG, NWA, etc.

Periphery
April 8th, 2016, 01:12 AM
I'm really not into rap and hip hop at all. I feel like most of the rappers just talk about having allot of money, having allot of women, and doing drugs. This is just my opinion though, might be wrong, might be right.

devotionnel
April 8th, 2016, 02:27 AM
Every now and again, I listen to Drake's old stuff. Not too smitten on the more modern songs.

ImCoolBeans
April 8th, 2016, 03:39 PM
I'm not really into hip hop at all. I've always listened mostly to rock music, and still do. I tend to think that a large part of the musical side of it is missing from hip hop. I don't mean to put anyone down, those are just my feelings and why I've never really been a big fan.

TrillClinton
April 8th, 2016, 04:43 PM
I'm not really into hip hop at all. I've always listened mostly to rock music, and still do. I tend to think that a large part of the musical side of it is missing from hip hop.

Can you explain to me more what you mean?
You might just be listening to the wrong rappers, but I disagree with your statement. Hip hop beats sample music from everywhere. Producers sample R&B, reggae, rock, blues, etc. The musical side is there and it's always been.

ImCoolBeans
April 8th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Can you explain to me more what you mean?
You might just be listening to the wrong rappers, but I disagree with your statement. Hip hop beats sample music from everywhere. Producers sample R&B, reggae, rock, blues, etc. The musical side is there and it's always been.

Exactly, they're all sampling other artists. I'm not saying that's not an art in itself, but the fact that they aren't sitting down with instruments and writing songs takes something away from it for me, and isn't really my thing. Even if a rapper isn't using a sample from another song, it's generally safe to say that he/she didn't actually make the beat, and someone else is credited for it on the album. And rap aside, most hip hop artists aren't even writing their own songs.

everlong
April 8th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Not a hip hop fan, though there are a few songs that I find have a nice beat.

Mars
April 8th, 2016, 09:24 PM
I fucks with hip hop and rap so hard. Mainstream big label artists to low key beast coast dudes. Flatbush Zombies are so dope. I met them when I went with my friends so they could get their CDs signed and I plan on going to their show in May. Joey Bada$$, Action Bronson, Bodega Bamz are all great beast coast rappers to fuck w. Statik Selektah also had a bunch of rappers on his Lucky 7 album which was pretty lit.

TrillClinton
April 9th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I fucks with hip hop and rap so hard. Mainstream big label artists to low key beast coast dudes. Flatbush Zombies are so dope. I met them when I went with my friends so they could get their CDs signed and I plan on going to their show in May. Joey Bada$$, Action Bronson, Bodega Bamz are all great beast coast rappers to fuck w. Statik Selektah also had a bunch of rappers on his Lucky 7 album which was pretty lit.

Yo how's that new FBZ album? I loooved D.R.U.G.S. and BetterOffDead but I haven't heard any of 3001
Still waiting for ItsAllAMatterOfPerspective

The Byrd
April 9th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I despise them both, dawg ;)

TrillClinton
April 9th, 2016, 08:16 PM
I despise them both, dawg ;)

What makes you despise them? Genuinely curious.

The Byrd
April 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM
What makes you despise them? Genuinely curious.

It's not really music, just people talking to a random, boring beat. It doesn't involve much talent either. What makes you like them?

TrillClinton
April 10th, 2016, 12:18 PM
It's not really music, just people talking to a random, boring beat. It doesn't involve much talent either. What makes you like them?
Well I grew up in East Los Angeles, which if you don't know is a very crime-ridden low income city. The fact that I love hip hop and rap is because the music speaks to me; I can relate to what they are talking about. Most rappers came up with the same upbringing as I did, so I can connect to them and appreciate the music more than someone like you.

This is the reason why I despise rock music and any other music that isn't Hip Hop or R&B. I just can't relate to it all. I'm a Mexican kid that grew up around gangs, poverty, and violence. I don't enjoy listening to Nirvana or Guns N Roses because I have nothing to relate to.

The Byrd
April 10th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Well I grew up in East Los Angeles, which if you don't know is a very crime-ridden low income city. The fact that I love hip hop and rap is because the music speaks to me; I can relate to what they are talking about. Most rappers came up with the same upbringing as I did, so I can connect to them and appreciate the music more than someone like you.

This is the reason why I despise rock music and any other music that isn't Hip Hop or R&B. I just can't relate to it all. I'm a Mexican kid that grew up around gangs, poverty, and violence. I don't enjoy listening to Nirvana or Guns N Roses because I have nothing to relate to.

So it's the lyrics and artists that you like over the actual music?

TrillClinton
April 10th, 2016, 01:59 PM
So it's the lyrics and artists that you like over the actual music?

Yes, I can relate to the artists and lyrics immensely, which is something I can't do when it comes to other genres.

As for the "actual music", I have no idea what that means tbh. People have always told me that hip hop lacked "music". I've never understood what they meant can you explain it to me.

The Byrd
April 10th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Yes, I can relate to the artists and lyrics immensely, which is something I can't do when it comes to other genres.

As for the "actual music", I have no idea what that means tbh. People have always told me that hip hop lacked "music". I've never understood what they meant can you explain it to me.

Bro, there is no talent on display if I'm being frank. What talent does it take to speak?

TrillClinton
April 10th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Bro, there is no talent on display if I'm being frank. What talent does it take to speak?

Hip hop is poetry, whether you want to accept it or not. Is there no talent involved in poetry?
When I listen to music I could give a rat's ass about talent. I seriously don't care if you can play guitar or sing or drum. 100% do not give a shit. I can't do either so why am I gonna care?
I listen to music so I can relate, and quite frankly there is nothing for me to relate to in any music other than hip hop.

The way you view hip hop is the way I view rock. They are all trash to me, and I seriously have no idea why anyone likes it. To me it's just some dude screaming into a mic while some other guys fuck around on the guitar and drums. I honestly have no idea how that is enjoyable.

The Byrd
April 10th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Hip hop is poetry, whether you want to accept it or not. Is there no talent involved in poetry?
When I listen to music I could give a rat's ass about talent. I seriously don't care if you can play guitar or sing or drum. 100% do not give a shit. I can't do either so why am I gonna care?
I listen to music so I can relate, and quite frankly there is nothing for me to relate to in any music other than hip hop.

The way you view hip hop is the way I view rock. They are all trash to me, and I seriously have no idea why anyone likes it. To me it's just some dude screaming into a mic while some other guys fuck around on the guitar and drums. I honestly have no idea how that is enjoyable.
Bro, why not just read the lyrics then? Music combines great lyrics as well as instrumental ability. And I don't like rock either FYI

Periphery
April 10th, 2016, 02:45 PM
The Byrd and TrillClinton Let me interrupt here gentlemen. First of all, the way I see it that The Byrd is stating his opinion on hip hop as an actual fact. You say "There is no talent on display and I'm being frank". That is your opinion, not a fact, don't put it that way. Some people enjoy hip hop, that doesn't mean you should. Nor does that mean you should instantly claim it lacks any talent. As for the "what talent does it take to speak" part. Hip hop is more than just speaking buddy.

As for TrillClinton Just gonna tell you that rock can actually be calm and that it almost never has screaming :p. What you are referring too might be types of metal, and probably deahcore.

EDIT: from my research, The Byrds are a Folk Rock band, which is technicly rock, which shows how wide the genre actually goes. Does that mean you now hate your favourite band? No. Be more open-minded about music.

lyhom
April 10th, 2016, 02:57 PM

tell me how it doesn't take talent.

go ahead, you made the claim.

TrillClinton
April 10th, 2016, 03:35 PM
As for TrillClinton Just gonna tell you that rock can actually be calm and that it almost never has screaming :p. What you are referring too might be types of metal, and probably deahcore.

I was just making a generalization haha.
I actually do enjoy a select few songs from bands like RHCP and Sublime, so I do know that rock isn't just screaming over instruments lol

The Byrd
April 10th, 2016, 04:33 PM
The Byrd and TrillClinton Let me interrupt here gentlemen. First of all, the way I see it that The Byrd is stating his opinion on hip hop as an actual fact. You say "There is no talent on display and I'm being frank". That is your opinion, not a fact, don't put it that way. Some people enjoy hip hop, that doesn't mean you should. Nor does that mean you should instantly claim it lacks any talent. As for the "what talent does it take to speak" part. Hip hop is more than just speaking buddy.

EDIT: from my research, The Byrds are a Folk Rock band, which is technicly rock, which shows how wide the genre actually goes. Does that mean you now hate your favourite band? No. Be more open-minded about music.

To address the first part, you interpreted it wrong and I know that my opinion is now a fact. And as it pertains to the edited part of your post, I'm not a fan of the first four years of The Byrds which was folk rock. I like the 1968-1972 Byrds which is country rock: a hybrid of many genres. And The Byrds aren't my favourite band BTW.

tell me how it doesn't take talent.

go ahead, you made the claim.

Speaking isn't a particularly difficult task.

The Byrd
April 10th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Delete this please!

lyhom
April 10th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Speaking isn't a particularly difficult task.

rapping isn't speaking but good try :)

TrillClinton
April 10th, 2016, 05:18 PM
rapping isn't speaking but good try :)

I find that that's the first "critique" people have of rap. You tell them you love hip hop and the first thing they say is "So you love to hear people talk"
Or they use it to belittle hip hop by saying it's "just talking"

The Byrd
April 10th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I find that that's the first "critique" people have of rap. You tell them you love hip hop and the first thing they say is "So you love to hear people talk"
Or they use it to belittle hip hop by saying it's "just talking"

What do hip hop artists do then? From what I've heard, they certainly don't sing.

lyhom
April 10th, 2016, 05:57 PM
What do hip hop artists do then? From what I've heard, they certainly don't sing.

they don't speak, either.

explaining it the best I can, there has to be some sort of rhythm in the rapping for it to sound nice to the ear. you need to be able to keep time to the beat and the lyrics generally rhyme most of the time, as well.

TrillClinton
April 10th, 2016, 06:01 PM

Many of them certainly do sing nowadays, actually. There is a sub-genre of hip hop that is a mixture of R&B singing and lyrical rapping.
Like I said, hip hop is poetry. To define it as "just talking" is belittling.

Yes, a large chunk of hip hop is party music, because that's what it started as. But if you actually take a second and analyze the lyrics you'll realize it is more than "just talking". Rappers aren't stupid, they're actually great with words and create some great idioms, metaphors, and allusions.

It's political, humorous, deep, etc, etc. But how you view it depends on what song/rapper/sub-genre you are listening to. Rap means something, it comes from the heart. It's not just some guy going up to the mic and spitting whatever random shit comes to his mind.

If you really believe it is just talking how bout you go and find some generic rap beat and start talking over it. I'd love to see the rap song you come up with.

The Byrd
April 10th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Many of them certainly do sing nowadays, actually. There is a sub-genre of hip hop that is a mixture of R&B singing and lyrical rapping.
Like I said, hip hop is poetry. To define it as "just talking" is belittling.

Yes, a large chunk of hip hop is party music, because that's what it started as. But if you actually take a second and analyze the lyrics you'll realize it is more than "just talking". Rappers aren't stupid, they're actually great with words and create some great idioms, metaphors, and allusions.

It's political, humorous, deep, etc, etc. But how you view it depends on what song/rapper/sub-genre you are listening to. Rap means something, it comes from the heart. It's not just some guy going up to the mic and spitting whatever random shit comes to his mind.

If you really believe it is just talking how bout you go and find some generic rap beat and start talking over it. I'd love to see the rap song you come up with.

I've never said that I can write songs, nor have I said that hip hop lyrics are bad but it's ludicrous for you to imply that other genres don't have good lyrics too. If the lyrics is what you like so much about it, would you still enjoy it in the form of a poem?

TrillClinton
April 10th, 2016, 06:11 PM
I've never said that I can write songs, nor have I said that hip hop lyrics are bad but it's ludicrous for you to imply that other genres don't have good lyrics too. If the lyrics is what you like so much about it, would you still enjoy it in the form of a poem?

I never said other genres have bad lyrics either. I just said I don't enjoy them because IMO there is nothing for me to relate to. When it comes to hip hop, there isn't a rap song I can't relate to. If I go and listen to some rock music or whatever, yeah it sounds good but what is there for me to relate to?

I grew up surrounded by gangs, drugs, and poverty. I would actually love for you to give me a non-rap song that a Mexican kid from the ghetto can relate to. I'm not even being sarcastic, I'd love to hear a song from a different genre I can relate to. Because rn I have never been able to connect and enjoy a song as much as I do with hip hop.

And as for your last question, yes I would still enjoy. I am actually a fan of poetry and I do enjoy reading it. It is actually one of the only forms of literature I love. So yes, if it was just the lyrics written on a page I would still enjoy it the same. The lyricism is my favorite part about hip hop. I can spend hours just breaking down every single line in a rap song. I have actually done it before and I loved it. It helped me understand the song and appreciate the artist more.

Periphery
April 11th, 2016, 12:30 AM

They make music for people to enjoy. They write lyrics, perform live, try to inspire people like any band should. Stop acting like your opinion is a fact because it's not. If you don't like hip hop, fine to me. Just don't shove your opinion down people's throat like you are the only person who is allowed to have one. If you've listened to allot of hip hop you should know these artists actually do allot more than 'just talking'.

To me it seems like for you every other genre appart from the stuff you like is crap.

ImCoolBeans
April 11th, 2016, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't go as far as to say that hip hop isn't music. In my post I said I thought some of the musical aspect was missing (not the case for everyone), but I don't discredit a hip hop artist as an artist entirely. It's just not my favorite medium of art. They preform, wrote lyrics, and create vocal melodies. You ever written catchy or creative vocal melodies to music? It's not easy, and I don't think anyone who does it can flat out be discredited as an artist.

Bontigo Papi .
April 21st, 2016, 09:12 AM
Considering I'm from South Afica , I'm actually a huge rap fan , have been since I first listened to Drake about 7 years ago . From then I would listen to any rap I could get , now , I'm really picky .

Hip Hop in South Africa has evolved over the past few years . South African Hip Hop sounds more American . And boy I'm sure loving it . I think that's were my love of Hip Hop evolved , listening to AKA , Da L.E.S , it just really excited me . The bad thing is , while well-known artists (SA , US etc.) were always shown on TV , it actually restrained me from discovering more artists .

Becoming picky was kinda a positive thing , I could debate better if needs to be about specific artists .