PDA

View Full Version : Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Tics

ImCoolBeans
February 13th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Does your anxiety cause you to have nervous ticks? Whenever I'm feeling extraordinarily anxious I can't help but do them. It's embarrassing and doesn't even really help my anxiety. I can tell that people notice it too sometimes, which makes my anxiety worse and makes me feel like everybody is judging me. I don't really know how to stop them because it's kind of like an impulse -- I just can't help it. Whenever I get really nervous I'll either bite my nails, no matter how bitten and short they already are, I'll play with my hands, crack my knuckles, or lightly tap on things, or if I'm sitting I'll shake my legs, other things like that too. I feel anxious now just saying it. Is there anything that you do that helps you with this? I've been putting in a conscious effort to stop for years, but I haven't succeeded.

It's rare that somebody ever says anything about it, but if somebody does it can sometimes trigger an attack, which is horrible to have in public. Even if nobody says anything, I still feel like they're noticing and I'm tired of worrying so much if they can tell that I'm feeling so anxious or noticing the ticks.

Miserabilia
February 13th, 2014, 02:00 PM
ooh I have so many of them.
Whenever I get social anxiety I get alot of tics/weird things.

The least worst is the simple stuff like general nervous movements,
but I also bite my tongue and cheak and in a really serious way, I don't realize I'm doing it, and then I'm bleeding.

Hollywood
February 13th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I just wind up playing with my hands, and my legs sort of start jittering too. I usually notice it but it's very hard to stop.

Its Pretty
February 13th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Whenever I get anxious I get completely still, like absolutely motionless, and stare at people. I guess you could say its an anti-tic

ksdnfkfr
February 13th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Like a lot of autistic people i do what is called stimming, especially when having anxiety. Rocking back and forth is number one. Wringing or flapping my hands. Drumming on myself with my fists; legs, torso and head.

DeadEyes
February 14th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Like a lot of autistic people i do what is called stimming, especially when having anxiety. Rocking back and forth is number one. Wringing or flapping my hands. Drumming on myself with my fists; legs, torso and head.

Ouch? Drumming on your head, that almost qualify for the self harm section of the forums, but it's like I was saying in another post, if there's no will to hurt yourself then it is nervous ticks.

I think we all have some to a certain point, some more apparent than others, some people will just chew a pen and others will bash their head in the walls.

When it becomes too obvious then there's no doubt it will draw attention but concerning that, people always judge no matter, whether it's the way you dress, the way you walk or whatnot. So, being tired of worrying so much is just about right because it become tiresome.

When you get tired of something or even fed up then what do you do? You just stop. You might say it's easier said than done but you should just stop caring. Trust me, when I stopped worrying about what people might think of me,
I became a lot less anxious.

ksdnfkfr
February 14th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Ouch? Drumming on your head, that almost qualify for the self harm section of the forums, but it's like I was saying in another post, if there's no will to hurt yourself then it is nervous ticks.

One of the Wrong Planet posters has it so bad she has to wear a bicycle helmet for protection.
But she is more severely autistic then me.

I actually do it gently for self calming during bad anxiety.
But it would still look 'crazy' to anyone watching.

Tarannosaurus
February 14th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I have this thing where everything has to be 'balanced'. If I open a door with my right hand, I have to go back and touch the handle with my left hand, if I hold something in my left hand I have to transfer it to my right hand for a while. If I don't to this at some point durig the day I panic and can't function unless I make up for it.

DeadEyes
February 14th, 2014, 07:24 AM
One of the Wrong Planet posters has it so bad she has to wear a bicycle helmet for protection.
But she is more severely autistic then me.

I actually do it gently for self calming during bad anxiety.
But it would still look 'crazy' to anyone watching.

I've heard about that before, it comes to the point where you need to protect people against themsleve because like any good nervous ticks, it's involuntary.

I mentioned that people always judge but the worst is that they often misjudge, so most people seeing you do this would think you are probably crazy, while I would doubt you probably have a certain condition even if I didn't know what autism is.

I have this thing where everything has to be 'balanced'. If I open a door with my right hand, I have to go back and touch the handle with my left hand, if I hold something in my left hand I have to transfer it to my right hand for a while. If I don't to this at some point durig the day I panic and can't function unless I make up for it.

Ah right, the good old obsessive compulsive issues, I had many of those before, this "balance" compulsion I don't think I've heard of before.

Miserabilia
February 14th, 2014, 07:38 AM

This is exactly what I do!
I honestly thought I was alone in this

DeadEyes
February 14th, 2014, 11:46 PM
I bite my lips, tap things, click pens, twirl pencils, touch my face, cover my face with my hand. I also tap my feet and twist my ankle and stuff. I can't stay still. I had to a presentation today and afterwards my teacher commented on how I always touched my face or had it covered with my hand. He somewhat mocked me and I felt bad about it. I started catching myself do it and it only made it worse. He has no idea what he did.

When you think that not only other students can be mocking and bullying it's bad enough but that teachers does it as well, it's despairing.

xXl0sth0peXx
February 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM

I don't consider this a tick persay, but this so much me.

Lip biting is my absolute worst tick though. And I know that people notice too, which like said makes it worse. Nail biting and just playing with anything - fingers, gum, coins, anything are other ones that I notice. It freaks me out to know that people notice, which makes me do it more.

ImCoolBeans
February 18th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I don't consider this a tick persay, but this so much me.

Lip biting is my absolute worst tick though. And I know that people notice too, which like said makes it worse. Nail biting and just playing with anything - fingers, gum, coins, anything are other ones that I notice. It freaks me out to know that people notice, which makes me do it more.

I always play with things too. Like pens, coins, rubber bands, other things at work/school/wherever. Pulling leaves off of things as i walk by. People always notice it and that drives me crazy, but it's like an impulse to do it.

Deschain
February 19th, 2014, 12:38 AM
For me, I get super antsy. My heart starts racing, and I bob my legs. And I if it gets bad enough I cry. That hasn't happened too often though. But it happened at IHOP though one morning with my friend. All the silverware clanking, and people talking, and the smells of all the different foods. Everything just became so intense. I was watching people eat, and feeling repulsed. I had to get out of there.

Also I feel things on me. Like bugs. Flying bugs around my ears, so I end up ducking and grabbing the back of my neck and picking at my scalp.

Tarannosaurus
February 20th, 2014, 10:14 AM
For me, I get super antsy. My heart starts racing, and I bob my legs. And I if it gets bad enough I cry. That hasn't happened too often though. But it happened at IHOP though one morning with my friend. All the silverware clanking, and people talking, and the smells of all the different foods. Everything just became so intense. I was watching people eat, and feeling repulsed. I had to get out of there.

Also I feel things on me. Like bugs. Flying bugs around my ears, so I end up ducking and grabbing the back of my neck and picking at my scalp.

I get something like that too, I hate loud public spaces, it's like a sensory overload. I get a bug thing as well, I feel like there's a fly flying around inside my ear or a spider crawling all over me.

Miserabilia
February 20th, 2014, 11:10 AM

I get something like that too, I hate loud public spaces, it's like a sensory overload. I get a bug thing as well, I feel like there's a fly flying around inside my ear or a spider crawling all over me.

I know what you mean.
And then all of that builds up, and it's just terror.

backjruton
February 20th, 2014, 12:52 PM
This applies to me too. I have to count my money every day at the start of college because I find it extremely hard to count it off the spot when I'm buying something at the shop, I need to tell myself how much I'm going to spend and put that money somewhere else or I will struggle when I'm actually buying things, and when I'm done counting I have to seperate it and just keep playing with the coins for a few minutes after before I can put them away

And whenever I'm sat down bored I have to find something to play with so I keep taking the lids off pens and putting them back on, bashing things at the table, kicking the chairs opposite me and lifting them up... I find it really hard to keep still and I have to keep moving which also makes it really hard for me to listen in class

I don't think this is down to anxiety it's just something I'm used to doing so I have to keep doing it and it's hard for me to stop

azure moonstone
February 20th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I always play with things too. Like pens, coins, rubber bands, other things at work/school/wherever. Pulling leaves off of things as i walk by. People always notice it and that drives me crazy, but it's like an impulse to do it.

I can identify with this. Often times I am not even thinking about it but I find myself being so fidgety that I am holding/playing with a pen, a hair pin, a coin, or any number of small object. I'm sure it's really distracting to other people (when I am around them). I am also touching walls (or lockers) constantly while walking at school or in the house. It's almost like I have to keep my hands busy or my mind won't know what to do.

CcRoder
February 20th, 2014, 11:16 PM
This used to happen to me a lot during school. What I'd do was put my two hands up, like behind my head sort of? Like a reflex action. When I would realise what I did, I'd pretend to scratch my head or back or neck or whatever.

I've grown out of it sort of, and now I tap my feet, pens, pencils, or bight my nails. Sometimes I really just leave the situation I'm in, go into the bathroom, and figure something out.

Karkat
February 20th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Does your anxiety cause you to have nervous ticks? Whenever I'm feeling extraordinarily anxious I can't help but do them. It's embarrassing and doesn't even really help my anxiety. I can tell that people notice it too sometimes, which makes my anxiety worse and makes me feel like everybody is judging me. I don't really know how to stop them because it's kind of like an impulse -- I just can't help it. Whenever I get really nervous I'll either bite my nails, no matter how bitten and short they already are, I'll play with my hands, crack my knuckles, or lightly tap on things, or if I'm sitting I'll shake my legs, other things like that too. I feel anxious now just saying it. Is there anything that you do that helps you with this? I've been putting in a conscious effort to stop for years, but I haven't succeeded.

It's rare that somebody ever says anything about it, but if somebody does it can sometimes trigger an attack, which is horrible to have in public. Even if nobody says anything, I still feel like they're noticing and I'm tired of worrying so much if they can tell that I'm feeling so anxious or noticing the ticks.

ooh I have so many of them.
Whenever I get social anxiety I get alot of tics/weird things.

The least worst is the simple stuff like general nervous movements,
but I also bite my tongue and cheak and in a really serious way, I don't realize I'm doing it, and then I'm bleeding.

I bite my lips, tap things, click pens, twirl pencils, touch my face, cover my face with my hand. I also tap my feet and twist my ankle and stuff. I can't stay still. I had to a presentation today and afterwards my teacher commented on how I always touched my face or had it covered with my hand. He somewhat mocked me and I felt bad about it. I started catching myself do it and it only made it worse. He has no idea what he did.

All of this. The worst being stomping/toe-tapping, bobbing, finger tapping/picking, touching my face, biting the inside of my mouth, and stimming.

But I also stim when I'm excited. If I get some huge idea about something, all of a sudden I'll look down, and the hands'll be flapping around. I can't control it, I can't really demonstrate it, it just happens.

I'll also wring my hands or rub my arms aggressively when I'm angry, as well as bite the inside of my mouth.

(Edit: Woah, this is my 100th post!)

backjruton
February 21st, 2014, 10:46 AM
Haha... I forgot to say some things because they're not normally things I think about while I'm not doing them.

When I'm sat down in college sometimes I keep drumming the top of my legs because I find it hard to keep still and every time I do that my friend (girl) starts to look at me with a really creepy expression. It's something I find hard not to do and she keeps telling me it makes her horny which is quite disturbing...

Sometimes when I hear words I get them stuck in my head for a short amount of time and because of this I keep moving my hands to make it look like I'm writing them down when actually I'm not. I can't really explain it but it's stupider than it sounds :D

Every time I get angry with something while I'm doing my work I just turn off finding it hard to continue because I suddenly forget what I was doing and forget how to do it. I normally have to give myself around 10-15 minutes to calm down before I can do more work because of how bad the anger is for me

Sadly rocking back and forth isn't so easy when your classroom floor isn't a carpet and the tables are extremely easy to move by accident... I used to rock the chair back and forth a lot in school but in college that's somehow stopped

Also, whenever my friend starts sneezing (SHE DOES IT A LOT) I suddenly start counting in my head and I actually can't help this. I've become used to counting how many times she sneezes because I thought 3 was bad enough but she can sneeze 10 times before stopping. And I know she does it too because one time she actually corrected me when I counted 1 over on something -.- she is severely disabled and I think also autistic so I'm guessing it's something to do with that as my brother never says about counting things involuntarily :p :| I have to count a lot of other things I do too because I prefer multiples of 5 to any other number... So if I'm drinking something I either have to have 5 or 10 sips (there's a word I hate) before I can put the drink down :L

I do a lot more I need to think about but when I'm not in college it's hard to because most of my different things happen there. I'm only ever on the computer at home so no space for me to be fiddling around with things because I have the TV, games and music to keep myself un-bored but that's hard in college and school :3

Dannibabi
February 27th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I sort of bounce my leg often without noticing, or else tap my foot or fingers. I almost always have to be doing something like that and it often increases when I get nervous or anxious.

Rockshe
April 2nd, 2014, 07:31 AM
i have this when anxious i find myself do things like touching stuff or sometimes rocking but when i'm stressed my tourettes flares up instead...

backjruton
April 2nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
I always find myself flapping my hands a lot and my friends keep telling me to shut up because of it when most of the time I just end up doing it without realising :kitty:

Desuetude
April 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Bite my nails pretty severely until they bleed - I can prevent this if I have a lolly stick or something to chew on but chewing gum doesn't work. I shake my legs if I'm sitting down and if I'm standing then I'll shuffle my feet. If I have paper or I'm near a tree with leaves I'll rip it up into tiny pieces subconsiously which is probably what people notice most because obviously shit goes all over the floor.

I have a fear of public speaking and performing in public so during those times I feel really bad anxiety and I start to twitch and stutter which makes me feel so uncomfortable and even worse.

Miserabilia
April 17th, 2014, 04:34 AM
I've added some stuff here before but here's my complete list;

- Biting tongue
- Biting inside of mouth in general
- Biting nails (all the time)
- Cracking joints
- Finer movements
- Blinking
- Thing with my glasses
- Pulling on my eyelids (Sounds weird, can't explain it)

rianvice
April 20th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Whenever I get in trouble with a teacher, my eyebrow twitches...I also used to be in a choir and I had a solo and my eyebrow kept twitching. I also tend to swallow A LOT when I am nervous, but then I feel like people will hear me and judge me so then I try to stop, but then I almost choke....this sucks so much, because it happens so often. I go to a Catholic school, so when we go to Church it is always quiet....

Cognizant
April 30th, 2014, 01:01 AM
I wouldn't say I have any tics, but I become very hostile. I will also start hyperventilating and stuttering if it gets too extreme. I also squirm a lot.

RazorTourniquet
September 18th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I usually bite the inside of my cheeks, crack my neck and fingers, scratch myself in parallel lines, scratch my head, play with my bracelets and other kinds of stupid behaviour. My parents get really irritated by my tics and we often have arguments because of them. I could only remove a tic by replacing it with another one.

Luminous
September 18th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I usually bite the inside of my cheeks, crack my neck and fingers, scratch myself in parallel lines, scratch my head, play with my bracelets and other kinds of stupid behaviour. My parents get really irritated by my tics and we often have arguments because of them. I could only remove a tic by replacing it with another one.

Please don't post in threads with more than 2 months of inactivity. :locked: