PDA

View Full Version : Is AIM still alive?

Rendez-Vous
April 3rd, 2016, 08:11 AM
Is AIM still alive? I know few people use it nowadays but do you guys really use it? I think it's cool as it's kinda nostalgia on times when everything was simpler, the internet was slower and the grass was greener. So, the question is still on - is it alive or only in minds of guys like me?

ps
there is a game called "emily was away" about the beginning of 200x years, friendzone and it take place in the messenger that strongly looks like AIM.

Sailor Mars
April 3rd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Not since like 2005.

Minesweeper is though.

Body odah Man
April 3rd, 2016, 09:28 AM
Is AIM still alive? I know few people use it nowadays but do you guys really use it? I think it's cool as it's kinda nostalgia on times when everything was simpler, the internet was slower and the grass was greener. So, the question is still on - is it alive or only in minds of guys like me?

ps
there is a game called "emily was away" about the beginning of 200x years, friendzone and it take place in the messenger that strongly looks like AIM.

Naw, AIM died I'm afraid. ATM, on the other hand, lives on.

Serra
April 3rd, 2016, 11:02 AM
Looks like its not,but there are probably people who use it still. I was thinking of getting AIM a while back actually,but I don't know anyone who is on it.:P

Endeavour
April 3rd, 2016, 01:54 PM
Um... https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?sitedomain=www.aim.com&siteState=OrigUrl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.aim.com%2F.home&offerId=aim-travolta-en-us

But i don't think many people use it.

Let Me Be a Pony
April 3rd, 2016, 02:50 PM
Never used that thing.

Melodic
April 3rd, 2016, 04:58 PM
Well, my grandpa still uses it so I know it exists.

I use to chat with friends/family through Yahoo Messenger until a year ago.

Abhorrence
April 3rd, 2016, 05:02 PM
I never used AIM it was all about MSN. I miss that.

xXl0sth0peXx
April 3rd, 2016, 05:23 PM
I used AIM, and MSN. AIM was more my early days, and MSN more the later, but definitely used them both. Haven't used any instant messenger in forever.. kinda miss it now that I think about it.

I never got into yahoo though.. or ICQ, whatever that shit is. never heard of that until I joined VT.

Emerald Dream
April 3rd, 2016, 05:26 PM
I used to use Yahoo messenger, but none of the other ones (AIM or ICQ). I've just always been under the impression that people who use them are older than me, since those things are pretty archaic.

Silicate Wielder
April 7th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Naw, AIM died I'm afraid. ATM, on the other hand, lives on.

Don't forget IRC, that' is still very much alive.

Rendez-Vous
April 8th, 2016, 08:56 AM

yep, irc is alive, at least freenode so
if i have any linux question - people there are welcome to answer

northy
April 8th, 2016, 01:12 PM
AIM? Ha, Is that still live even? If it is, I don't think anybody uses it.

Silicate Wielder
April 8th, 2016, 08:18 PM
yep, irc is alive, at least freenode so
if i have any linux question - people there are welcome to answer

There is also Rizon, and nowadays you can host your own IRC server aswell.

There used to be an IRC channel that I would frequent, but it went silent a couple of years back.

ImCoolBeans
April 11th, 2016, 07:39 AM
I don't even remember the last time I used AIM. It must have been like 2009 or so, and it was already long dead at that point :P

Body odah Man
April 13th, 2016, 02:56 PM

So true

Zbmrnb16
April 21st, 2016, 10:30 PM
I'm sure SOMEONE still uses it, but I have no idea why you'd want to.

everlong
April 23rd, 2016, 11:38 AM
Very few use it now

Anthem
April 26th, 2016, 07:14 AM
AIM is like MySpace, it is dead. People like Skype and Yahoo Messenger or discord now.

Derek951
May 3rd, 2016, 10:12 AM
I think maybe people who had it back in the day might still use it. Be shocked if they were signing up anyone new