PDA

View Full Version : Recent Trips to the Bookstore

TheSmokingMan
March 31st, 2016, 10:55 PM
So.
Has anybody here made a trip to a bookstore lately? Which store was it? What books to you end up buying (if any)? What's your favorite bookstore (if you have one)?

I just went to a half-price bookstore, and a Barns and Noble today. At Barns and Noble I got John Sandford's "Secret Prey", "Sudden Prey", and his "Mind Prey" (All new paperback editions with introductions by John Sandford included). I also got a bargain priced compilation of H.P. Lovecraft's horror stories (Hardcover) and, also from the bargain priced section, I got a novel by David Morrell called "Murder As a Fine Art" (which looks AMAZING) [and is also Hardcover].
Then at half-price books I got James Patterson's "Double Cross" (Hardcover), and Stephan King's "Carrie" and his "Thinner".
Half-Price books also sells used CDs at awesome prices. SO... I picked up a Cranberries album called "No Need To Argue", a U2 album entitled "The Unforgettable Fire", and a soundtrack to the TV show "Friends".

So yeah.
It was a good bookstore day.

Tell me about your own endeavors.

Sailor Mars
April 1st, 2016, 06:55 AM
The last time I went to a bookstore was in December and I got "Fahrenheit 451"

Emerald Dream
April 1st, 2016, 07:41 AM
We have a few chain bookstores in the malls nearby, and also some independent ones in the towns surrounding me. I'm in the bookstore a lot, because I like to look at a variety of things. I hardly buy anything though, unless I can get it used (or new on sale digitally) because I don't have a lot in my budget for that sort of thing. I do think I should be reading more, though. I'm pretty sure the last physical books I actually bought were some in the Odd Thomas series - which I kind of regret, since they've been progressively getting worse tbh.

Elysium
April 1st, 2016, 08:22 AM
I've been twice in the past two weeks and I bought Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, An Untamed State by Roxane Gay, Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey, and The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Endeavour
April 1st, 2016, 10:50 AM
I went to a bookstore today and purchased a copy of Romeo and Juliet (our school makes us buy a copy for our studies)

TheSmokingMan
April 1st, 2016, 09:54 PM
We have a few chain bookstores in the malls nearby, and also some independent ones in the towns surrounding me. I'm in the bookstore a lot, because I like to look at a variety of things. I hardly buy anything though, unless I can get it used (or new on sale digitally) because I don't have a lot in my budget for that sort of thing. I do think I should be reading more, though. I'm pretty sure the last physical books I actually bought were some in the Odd Thomas series - which I kind of regret, since they've been progressively getting worse tbh.

I feel you about the low budget.
I probably should not have bought what I ended up buying honestly.
It really is like an addiction for me... :whoops:

And about the reading more comment,
I have decided (in February) to read 100 books by the end of next February.
My thinking behind that is, I should shoot for 100 and definitely succeed at reading 75.
So yeah,
Come up with a creative goal that suits you (*not necessarily 100 books*) and go for it!
It will be a deepening of your very own self :)

I've been twice in the past two weeks and I bought Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, An Untamed State by Roxane Gay, Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey, and The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Impressive :)
I am very pleased with this :)

I went to a bookstore today and purchased a copy of Romeo and Juliet (our school makes us buy a copy for our studies)

Awesome!
I have read a few of Shakespeare's plays.
They are always enjoyable.
Way back I bought a copy of Romeo and Juliet in the Barns and Noble at Tyson's Corner, VA that was bound in red leather and cost me $14... :whoops:
I loved it too much to take a pass on it :P :D :)

Endeavour
April 2nd, 2016, 04:03 PM
Awesome!
I have read a few of Shakespeare's plays.
They are always enjoyable.
Way back I bought a copy of Romeo and Juliet in the Barns and Noble at Tyson's Corner, VA that was bound in red leather and cost me $14... :whoops:
I loved it too much to take a pass on it :P :D :)

Yeah, Shakespeare's are good. What's your favourite?

Melodic
April 2nd, 2016, 05:47 PM
I went to a half-priced bookstore about a month ago and got two books. I just got a library card so I'm getting most of my books there recently.

My favorite bookstore is Thriftbooks. It's an online half-priced bookstore. I love it!

TheSmokingMan
April 3rd, 2016, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Shakespeare's are good. What's your favourite?

So far Macbeth is probably my favorite.
I haven't read nearly enough of them yet.
My sister, on the other hand, has read, and owns, most of Shakespeare's work.
I just love the ereie feeling from Macbeth.
It can be a bit unsettling. :)

I went to a half-priced bookstore about a month ago and got two books. I just got a library card so I'm getting most of my books there recently.

My favorite bookstore is Thriftbooks. It's an online half-priced bookstore. I love it!

That's really cool!
Thriftbooks sounds interesting.
I'll have to check it out.

Posts merged. Use the multi quote button next time. ~Mars