PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable during presentations

Student of Magic
March 29th, 2016, 03:01 PM
I think I am like always anxious about presentations.
Do you know any tips on how to stay relaxed during a presentation or during a speech (in front of your class, for example)?

ImCoolBeans
March 30th, 2016, 07:46 AM
What helps me is to think about how nervous everyone else is. You're not the only one in the room who will be anxious or nervous, almost everyone else in the class probably feels the same way. I know it may be hard to do, but make eye contact. After doing a few presentations you'll see it's not so bad.

Sanchez16620
March 30th, 2016, 12:39 PM
I stay relaxed by imagining I'm alone

Endeavour
April 2nd, 2016, 04:09 PM
Oh my I'm terrible at presentations. Try to keep clam, take some deep breaths and have some water. That works to some extent.

Just some presentation tips in general, don't read of the board if you have a powerpoint/don't read of cue cards.

jata111
April 2nd, 2016, 04:58 PM
practice your presentation a few times days before

Microcosm
April 2nd, 2016, 10:44 PM
I used to be super scared of that stuff. I remember I just started getting up there and thinking to myself "whatever I say they'll probably forget about it anyways" and so I got more relaxed and just started giving really chill speeches and presentations after that.

Preparation plays a big part in it too. If you know and remember what you're going to say and how you're going to say it, then you just have to execute. That can be hard sometimes but it takes practice.

Steven1198
April 29th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I think I am like always anxious about presentations.
Do you know any tips on how to stay relaxed during a presentation or during a speech (in front of your class, for example)?

The only think I could say is just do it. It will be scary for a first few time but the more you do, you will be less scary comparing to the previous time. Some tips for a A+ presentation:

- Your eye shouldn't be at the floor, you should make eye contact with everyone in the class, don't need to look at the same position all the time, move your neck and eyes.
- Speak clear and loud enough so everyone in the room could hear you. When I observe others, I noticed that they tend to speak very fast and small whenever they do a presentation (obvious cause they r nervous). After a while I really can't hear what they say anymore and it loss the meaning of the presentation.
- Try to remain calm all the time. If you are panic, you won't be able to do the first 2 things.
- Practice a lot before you do the real presentation. Do this and you can eliminate a lot of mistakes you can make during the real presentation. Trust me, I had been do it and it help a lot.

DriveAlive
April 29th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Power poses are helpful. They are proven to increase testosterone and decrease cortisol (stress hormone). Also, just imagine that you are not their peer, but their superior and are teaching them.

Xiao.Z
April 29th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I comfortable with perform dance and gymnastic. Not worry from prepare much. But so difficult speak for class. Children speak unkind me even teacher present. Teacher instruct them to quiet but no punish. I struggle much to present for class not know how for calm self. I wish never do present.

kyd13
April 29th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Whenever I know the information very well, I am more comfortable presenting. And the more practice you get, the more comfortable and better you are. When I first started at my new school I was really scared about presentations, but we do them so often that it doesn't bother me anymore

azure moonstone
April 29th, 2016, 06:46 PM
For a lot of people (including myself) it's difficult to totally get past the anxiety completely. If there are multiple people or groups that have to do a presentation, then I purposely want to be one of the first. Chances are people won't remember if you fidget or your voice wavers when you are trying to present.

I know the feeling all too well, though.

kev1998
April 29th, 2016, 07:55 PM
I absolutely suck at presentations. No joke and I'm not exaggerating. I totally and completely suck. I get so nervous that I start sweating and shuddering.

The Byrd
April 30th, 2016, 10:50 AM
I have social anxiety but it's weird because I'm really confident when I'm just speaking to people in an environment such as a presentation and not actually engaging in a back and forth conversation. Here's some tips which I find helpful:

Move about. Instead of just standing there, walk about the stage (or wherever it is) and keep yourself moving. It helps keep your mind off the nervousness and stops you from stiffening up.
Look around. I don't think you necessarily have to make eye contact with people but it helps to keep your mind fresh instead of just starring a hole into one person or thing. It also looks better if you're being marked.
Know what you're talking about. It's no use just learning a block information, whether you actually understand it or not. It looks and sounds better even if you're not reading off the board. Learn what you're talking about and be able to improvise if you draw a blank.
Vary your tone. Instead of just reading the information and expecting the listeners to be engaged, change it up every once a while. When it's necessary use emphasis etc...

Typhlosion
April 30th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Knowing well the material you'll be presenting helps a lot, you get more confident in what you say. After a lot of presentations I got the hang of it, adding humour into my lines and slides. Something else that helped me was working with smaller groups at a time, giving small review classes right before tests to my friends. In the least, nobody will care about the presentation, at the most they might laugh a couple of times. As said above me, moving about also helps me a lot. Try your style, maybe you can find the answer there.

SethfromMI
June 2nd, 2017, 07:17 AM
well I know your presentation is over by now. but practice is a big key. I am not saying you have to know it word for word, but if you know your material going in, it is going to be so much easier to present to the class. take it nice and easy. it is easy to start fast and then sometimes it can be hard to slow down. don't forget to breathe and have pauses (pauses in the right places can actually be very powerful).

I realize this may be hard to do, but a lot of successful public speaking is being confident. If you believe in yourself, you can make others believe in you and what your talking about. I had to talk about things I didn't care for, but with confidence, I was able to present it as if it were somehow crucial. give yourself a pep talk. believe in yourself.

try to remember, most people have the fear you have. even some of the ones who do a good job have the fear that you have. but I tell you, if you can believe in you and you are up there and are confident in yourself, it will go such a long way. not only well it help you, but it is going to help make your presentation a powerful one.

as a confidence builder, try practicing on people. I know speaking to just family and friends is not always the same, but look for opportunities you can get to share with others. sometimes it may mean you will not have a chance to prepare, but take a deep breathe and tell yourself you can do this. even if your trembling on the inside, if you can be confident on the outside, that is what really counts.