PDA

View Full Version : Live Duck Ups

The Byrd
March 26th, 2016, 12:18 PM
So I was just listening to a bootleg from the Byrds. I'd talk about how much different the sets and arrangements were when Gene Parsons left to be replaced with John Guerin but during the version of 'Jesus is Just Alright', Clarence White fucks up right at the start. It should go "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doooo" a few times, and then "Jesus is just alright with me, Jesus is just alright ah yeah", but instead of doing (no pun intended) the 'doos' Clarence completely forgets and goes straight to the 'Jesus is just alright with me' part. It comes out as "Jesus is just al-doo doo dooo". I thought that was hilarious. I'll link the bootleg below with the timing of the incident below. So the question, what are your favourite live music fuck ups? If you can, leave the link too please :)

Skip (no pun intended) to 16:46 for Jesus is Just Alright

-9zyYEK8AwE

ImCoolBeans
March 28th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I saw a band called Of Mice And Men play like 6 years ago and the guitarist for the band tried to do a trick called a guitar spin, where you throw your guitar backwards and the strap catches it and it spins around your body back to the front. Only when he tried to do it his strap broke and his guitar flew off and knocked over part of the drummers drum kit. I'm sure it really sucked for him and messed his guitar up, but it was pretty funny to watch happen. Unfortunately there aren't any videos of it online.

The Byrd
March 28th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I saw a band called Of Mice And Men play like 6 years ago and the guitarist for the band tried to do a trick called a guitar spin, where you throw your guitar backwards and the strap catches it and it spins around your body back to the front. Only when he tried to do it his strap broke and his guitar flew off and knocked over part of the drummers drum kit. I'm sure it really sucked for him and messed his guitar up, but it was pretty funny to watch happen. Unfortunately there aren't any videos of it online.

LMAO. There are plenty of videos like that on YouTube. Here's an interesting story about guitars going in the air. Skip Battin, bass player for The Byrds has a solo with Gene Parsons (drummer for The Byrds) during the live version of Eight Miles High. The live versions of Eight Miles High by the second incarnation of The Byrds (the incarnation which I refer to as "The Good Byrds) lasted for like 15 minutes but it changed every night so they just improvised. For the first part of the song, McGuinn, White, Battin and Parsons all play together. Then McGuinn and White fade out and it's just the drum and bass solo that a mentioned before between Skip and Gene. McGuinn and White use this time to rest, for a while and come back in whenever they want. One night though, they just wouldn't come back in and Skip got really frustrated and so he threw his bass in the air, intending for it to just come back down and land on the floor. So the bass goes like twenty feet in the air and when it comes down, the strap lands right around his neck somehow and he just continues to play while he receives a massive round of applause from the audience.