PDA

View Full Version : The beloved Toyota Prius...

Cognizant
March 24th, 2016, 07:14 PM
It's the car that everyone loves to hate on, myself included. Yet, as I keep thinking about what my next car should be, the Prius keeps coming to mind much to the dismay of my inner car enthusiast :P they get amazing gas mileage, which is important for me because I drive nearing 36,000 miles a year. And honestly I love the liftback design of the Prius; if it had a "typical" 2.5L Toyota engine and transmission like the one found in the Camry or Scion tC, I'd be sold without a doubt. They are pretty gutless though, but I guess for me I have to weigh the perks of sportiness with the operating costs. I'm an aggressive driver, but the only time I really mash the gas pedal is when I'm trying to pass someone. I guess I could try owning one for a few months and if I end up hating it, I could trade it in for an Altima or something.

Anyways, what's your guys' opinion on the infamous hybrid?

Meron
March 24th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Both my uncles have it and it's just perfect.

Canadian Dream
March 25th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Yeah I'm not sure if you'll like it... If I were you I would take it for a test drive to see what it feels like. The economic advantages are really great, but if sportiness is really important to you make sure you try it out, because I'm pretty sure my 2008 Yaris can accelerate faster than my mom's brand new Prius. Personally I'd be fine with one cause I don't really care about how sporty my car is but make sure you try out different cars just to be sure.

PinkFloyd
April 24th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I've ridden in two and I disliked it both times. The first one I rode in was a 2004 second gen model and the seats were uncomfortable, it had a bad ride quality, and everything in the car just felt cheap. The other one I rode in was a 2010 or 2011 model which was a third gen. It was better as far as ride quality went, but that was it. the interior still felt cheap for a $28,000 car. I'd recommend getting a Mazda 3 since you're a car enthusiast. It's won many awards as being fun to drive while also getting great fuel economy. It's described as being like A Corolla or Civic, but better.

I recommend watching this video on it - well, also people that drive them. Fair warning: It's not an ordinary review... There's some weirdness thrown in. Seriously, if you know Regular Car Reviews, you'd likely agree that this is the weirdest one ever created. The reviews are anything but regular. :lol:

iZ19Mdca7DY

Cognizant
April 28th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I've ridden in two and I disliked it both times. The first one I rode in was a 2004 second gen model and the seats were uncomfortable, it had a bad ride quality, and everything in the car just felt cheap. The other one I rode in was a 2010 or 2011 model which was a third gen. It was better as far as ride quality went, but that was it. the interior still felt cheap for a $28,000 car. I'd recommend getting a Mazda 3 since you're a car enthusiast. It's won many awards as being fun to drive while also getting great fuel economy. It's described as being like A Corolla or Civic, but better.

I recommend watching this video on it - well, also people that drive them. Fair warning: It's not an ordinary review... There's some weirdness thrown in. Seriously, if you know Regular Car Reviews, you'd likely agree that this is the weirdest one ever created. The reviews are anything but regular. :lol:

iZ19Mdca7DY

Hahha I'm subscribed to RCR! I think the interior materials aren't really important to me. I'd be buying one used - for around $12,000-15,000. Any brand new car in that price range (fit, versa, maybe a very basic hyundai elantra) isn't going to be any better.

How's the reliability been for your 3? THat's primarily why I'm looking at Toyota's, because I can't afford to have a car with a shoddy transmission or electrical problems right now hahah

ImCoolBeans
April 28th, 2016, 07:55 PM
I think they're practical because of the great gas mileage, but otherwise I'm really not a fan. I don't know a ton about cars but I really just hate the way they look tbh :P

redrider12
April 28th, 2016, 11:48 PM
Yuck. They have so many deficiencies. Here are a few -
1) Regenerative Braking. This is the real kicker. At speeds lower than like 15-20mph, you'll notice that the brake pedal feels really weird and the deceleration of the car is mushy. Tesla and the other REAL hybrid cars have figured it out - Toyota? Not so much.
2) The looks. The Prius is probably the ugliest car on the road, ever. The 1st gen ones maybe slightly resembled other cars, but now they're just in an ugly class of their own.
3) They drive like crap. The pickup is awful due to the rocky shift from hybrid to full engine and even when the electric system is effectively off, the engine still underperforms madly. If you want a car that you'll enjoy driving for the sportiness or pleasure, go elsewhere.
4) Interior. I will cut Toyota a break, just a tad. My friend's mom has a '10 Prius and man oh man does that thing drag. It just feels like plastic, and much of it is. The mousefur seat fabric and the terribly stiff pad make it a very hard car to be comfortable in. It's gotten a little better, but not enough to warrant the cost vs. a Civic (even a Civic Si) or Maz3.

Basically, no. Buy anything else. Anything

PinkFloyd
April 30th, 2016, 12:57 AM
Hahha I'm subscribed to RCR! I think the interior materials aren't really important to me. I'd be buying one used - for around $12,000-15,000. Any brand new car in that price range (fit, versa, maybe a very basic hyundai elantra) isn't going to be any better.

How's the reliability been for your 3? THat's primarily why I'm looking at Toyota's, because I can't afford to have a car with a shoddy transmission or electrical problems right now hahah

COMPACTS

I have something to admit... I'm kind of a hipster when it comes to cars. A huge reason why I dislike the Prius is because of how many of them I see. I seriously know like five people that own them and they're all REALLY smug about it saying how they're saving the planet and ahhhh, it drives me insane. You're idea of buying a 12-15k late model used car with low mileage. Here's a good list off the top of my head:

2011-2015 Honda Civic - very, very reliable like most Toyotas and a good car for getting around; not flashy, just a car. There's a reason they're everywhere you look.

2006-2013 Toyota Corolla - This is a lot like the Civic. These are everywhere you look; good cars all around.

2010-2013 Mazda3 - This car is praised by mostly all car journalists. They describe it as fun to drive with very responsive steering and it comes with tons of standard features as well as a reliable engine. I actually own a 2012 model and I really like it a lot. I am biased saying this, but the driving feel and overall quality of the Mazda3 is superior to both the Civic and the Corolla. The only thing I don't like about my 3 is the fact that there are only four fan speeds; well actually, there are only two because speeds 1, 2, and 3 are all relatively the same, but once you turn that dial up to 4, it's a sonic blast.

2011-2015 Hyundai Elantra - I'm not too wild about this car. I have no personal experience with it, but people say it's about the same quality as a Civic or Corolla, but without the legendary reliability. I also don't really much like Hyundai except for the Genesis sedan and coupe. Those are great and what turned Hyundai around.

SUBCOMPACTS

2011-present Chevrolet Sonic - From the moment this care came out, I've always liked it. It just looks like a car with lots of quirks and character. I don't know how the reliability is, but I'd be skeptical. I love General Motors, but their small car market is unpredictable at times.

2009-present Ford Fiesta - From what I've heard, these are great little cars that do what they're supposed to, but reliability is the question once more. I work with someone that has one of these and they like it.

CosmicNoodle
May 1st, 2016, 09:09 AM
The one good things about the Prius:

You can street race and no one will notice because it's so slow.