PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Myself Piano

ImCoolBeans
March 21st, 2016, 09:20 AM
So I acquired a keyboard over the weekend, as a gift, to help me learn music theory more easily. I already play guitar and have actually been feeling more comfortable on the keyboard than I had expected. Anyone who plays, do you have any tips for a beginner, specifically for someone who is teaching himself?

Any input is much appreciated.

Plane And Simple
March 21st, 2016, 09:23 AM
I'm actually interested in this as well. I never played but I'd really like to.

rioo
March 21st, 2016, 09:58 AM
I've learn piano little bit, but that's long time ago. I can play melody song from greyson chance. I learn it just by ears. but that's it. And I play guitar.

It's better for you to start learn with song that you really like it. I like rock music more so yeah I give up playing piano.

The Byrd
March 21st, 2016, 05:57 PM
Quite a basic tip really but you want to keep each of your fingers on one key throughout the whole piece instead of moving them about for each individual note. Comes in particularly handy when learning more complex pieces.

benlodge123
March 22nd, 2016, 03:31 PM
Learn how to read sheet music. Start of with something slow and with one note and move on to more harder stuff ie Yiruma - River Flows In You

Canadian Dream
March 25th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Honestly it really depends on what type of music you are planning on learning... if it's more classical stuff I can give you more detailed advice but popular songs aren't really my thing. In general for both kinds a must is to practice scales, all minor and major because they're the foundation of any technique in songs. Then I would move on to chords (which if you play guitar might be a little easier). One more thing is the theory: it's very important to understand the principles that make up music and a keyboard is essential in really understanding these principles. I find that a lot of what you learn doing theory transfers to your playing, so it should be one of your priorities.

Hope this helps!

ImCoolBeans
March 25th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll keep it in mind as I'm learning.