PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 10 Scary Movies

TheSmokingMan
March 18th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Everybody has seen a scary movie or few (dozen)...
If you happen to fall into the category of dozens like myself, you have to have a few favorites.
Yes. I'm calling on all you (scary) movie buffs. "What's your favorite scary movie?"

My list: (Note: these are not listed from best to worst. They are simply listed ;) Also, if you don't have 10 to share, share your favorites :) )

10 - Aliens
9- The Hitcher (1986)
8- The Raven
7- The Conjuring
6- The Gift (2015)
5- Paranormal Activity
4- Crimson Peak
3- Frailty
2- Scream
1- The Silence of the Lambs

West Coast Sheriff
March 19th, 2016, 12:44 AM
The silence of the lambs is my all time favorite movie but, I don't find it scary.

The conjuring and insidious 3 are the only ones that've made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The first two insidious movies are also pretty good. I watched dark skies on Netflix and I really liked it. It's kinda creepy.

TheSmokingMan
March 22nd, 2016, 08:32 PM
The silence of the lambs is my all time favorite movie but, I don't find it scary.

The conjuring and insidious 3 are the only ones that've made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The first two insidious movies are also pretty good. I watched dark skies on Netflix and I really liked it. It's kinda creepy.

Well, the thing about Silence of the Lambs is it's just way too graphic to be considered a thriller in my opinion. The implied cannibalism, Buffalo Bill's ultimate agenda, and Hannibal Lecter's big moment in the sun, I just feel like it goes that extra mile with most people.
But you're right. It really isn't scary. It almost views like an extended episode of "Criminal Minds" honestly. It's psychological rather than scary, but I do consider it horror, and many people would probably consider psychological thrillers to be scary.
(Btw, Silence of the Lambs is one of my favorite movies in general as well. It's excellently written and executed, and it never comes across as something like "Striking Distance" or some sort of fantasy. It always comes across as genuine. It looks real. It watches much more like "Se7en", yet more realistic. Very powerful and authentic in delivery. Silence of the Lambs is definitely a solid film overall.)

And yes... You have GOT to have an interest in the genre if you plan on sleeping after you watch The Conjuring. I mean wow. I don't think I have ever been that unsettled and uncomfortable. The only other films that rival the feelings that The Conjuring set in me are "VHS" (which I could not finish) and "Sinister". "Sinister" scared the shit out of me. I haven't watched it since my first viewing. I would love to see it again, but man. That was serious stuff.

I have never gotten into the Insidious series.
I've wanted too, but I never committed to it. They look really super freaky though. And it's interesting to me that they are able to completely and totally scare you without pushing the explicit content over that PG-13 rating. I mean, the filmmakers could go all out on The Conjuring and Sinister because those are pretty hard R rated movies (less so on The Conjuring. It really wasn't that explicit, but it is utterly horrifying.). But that was always interesting to me about the Insidious series.
I'll have to check them out.

Mattlol
April 25th, 2016, 09:04 PM
I don't really have a list, but i recently saw the alien movies and the exorcist, and they are pretty horror-like if you ask me.

TheSmokingMan
April 25th, 2016, 11:22 PM
I don't really have a list, but i recently saw the alien movies and the exorcist, and they are pretty horror-like if you ask me.

Oh my god.
The exorcist is one of the most unsettling damn films I've ever seen.

The Alien series is just classic though.
But yes. Definitely horror.