PDA

View Full Version : I feel like school is useless!

AstroChris
March 14th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I am currently a junior in high school, at the top of my class, with straight A's. This year I have started to take some college classes at the local community college because I am ahead in my high school credits, and want to get a head-start on college. Over the course of this year as a junior, I have really been feeling like my education is truly and utterly useless. Learning all of these formulas in math, learning Spanish, learning different ways of writing, it just seems abundantly pointless! I am never going to use a single thing that I am learning in school right now, since I am hoping to go into youth ministry. I feel like my time would be much better spent going out and learning about other cultures, spending time alone in the wilderness, and learning about people and the world first-hand, in stead of being stuck being a desk for 7 painful hours a day. And I'm not saying this because school is getting too hard, but it is actually too easy. My grades are slipping ironically because school is too easy. I feel like my time is so wasted spending half an hour on one math problem involving a concept I have mastered, or a week writing an essay which I know exactly how to write. So, I just don't do the work sometimes. School has come naturally to me my whole life, and it is beginning to get on my last nerve. I am struggling because I know that my grades will be one of my most defining factors to colleges and employers for the rest of my life, but I just feel like I cannot do this anymore. What can I do? Should I take different types of classes? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Student of Magic
March 15th, 2016, 03:55 PM
I don't know how helpful I may be, but I'll try to to say (write) something.

I think that some of the things (like Spanish, I guess) that you learn in school may help you directly (why do you think learning Spanish is useless? I think it is one of the most spoken languages in the world, perhaps you'll have the chance to use it :D) by being useful in the future or indirectly (like a formula in Maths that you won't use) by improving your logic, communication, etc. skills. You may not think so, but I guess that solving a difficult Math problem is not completely useless.
Of course, you may think think that you might have used the time spent at school doing something else that you'd enjoy and would help you more, but maybe you can change your view on school, at least a bit. My piece of "advice" would be to stay positive and think of some solutions. If you're bored of the subjects, try to use the free time you have to do what you really like to. If things are too easy, try to do something more challenging. If you're given only easy tasks, idk, challenge yourself to a time contest, try to be at least a little bit enthusiastic about what you're doing.

Professional Russian
March 16th, 2016, 07:38 PM
If I learned one thing from school, although I am in a technical program and out on wrok release blah blah blah. It's that school doesnt teach you a damn thing. And don't let them give you that "were preparing you for the real world" bullshit because what they tell you and how the world works are complete polar opposites. I have the perfect example. I work in a fab shop where we all get along and can work together and talk and shit, so we talk about alot of politics and don't mind even if we have slightly different views. Well my mentality never changed from working all week to being back to school for one day so I said something political and the school lost their shit, suspended me 3 days, and told me "THATS NOT HOW TBE REAL WORLD WORKS" ironic considering just the day before we talking about the exact topic at work. Also all the shit they taught me at tech? Hasn't done a damn thing either. When you go to specialized school for say welding like me the states in control of what you learn. Well what they teach you and what you really do on the job are completely different. As for core classes suck as math, social studies, science, etc I haven't really used much of that at all but that's my job. So yeah school really don't do shit. It's generalized education and for some people it works. For others it don't do a damn thing. For me personally its done nothing. I've learned everything I know from working with multiple welders when they need a hand and my current job. Why I'm going to school for 4 more years for it I don't know...other than the excessive amount of money I'll make out of school. But other than that it still won't teach me anything new

lliam
March 17th, 2016, 01:26 AM
... it just seems abundantly pointless! I am never going to use a single thing that . .. I feel like my time would be much better spent going out and learning about other cultures, spending time alone in the wilderness, and learning about people and the world first-hand, in stead of being stuck being a desk for 7 painful hours a day.

In a strange way, I even can understand that.

What I learn in school is mostly boring. May be, cause I'm already somewhat familiar with that stuff, cause I worked it out myself a year ago or such.

Nowadays I see school simply as an experimental field in which I'm confronted with a variety of learning methods.

Thus the topics are only a wildcard for any other stuff. What is taught at school is therefore completely irrelevant to me, because I'm just learning to learn in different ways, just the principles of learning matters. Which is certainly very useful to solve future things in life. Because we learn a lifetime long.

Melodic
March 17th, 2016, 10:30 AM
You're right. You have to learn loads of useless information and you can only learn it in the way they teach you. I'm pretty grateful that I'm homeschooled and able to do a more unschooling curriculum. Unschooling is where you learn based off of personal interests. It's pretty funny that I haven't done a typical high school curriculum since freshman year and I'm considered intelligent.

Meron
March 17th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Some subjects in school are relevant and helping. However, why the FUCK do we have to do complicated math problems, physics problems and chemistry questions? How would that ever help us with our everyday life? That's my opinion.

Periphery
March 18th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Some subjects in school are relevant and helping. However, why the FUCK do we have to do complicated math problems, physics problems and chemistry questions? How would that ever help us with our everyday life? That's my opinion.

Math is not about knowing all the problems, it's about being able to think more in depth about a certain problem. Physics and chemistry can be important in your future, depending what you want to do of course.

Cristina15
March 18th, 2016, 04:30 PM
I have the same feeling sometimes, but i am sure it is a wrong feeling caused from stress or when i am very tired...

Microcosm
March 18th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Knowing Spanish could really help you in youth ministry when you're visiting foreign countries. I know that some youth ministries around where I live have been traveling to South America.

To be honest, you probably won't use that stuff. The reason they teach it to you is basically to work out, test, and develop your mind without much practical use to what you're actually learning.

For some people, that's okay and for others it just doesn't help much. In your situation, a lot of it probably won't be of any use.

My advice is to just try and push through it. You're almost there anyways. Keep working your brain and maybe it will better prepare you for the ministry in some way.

Irishperson15
March 23rd, 2016, 10:35 AM

Some people like Maths because of the challenge. I am still at school and am studying university level Maths in a small class. We don't have to do it but we do it because we relish the challenge and want to push our minds for the fun of it. Something like Maths is good because it improves your logical skills, valued in a range of jobs.

Reise
March 23rd, 2016, 11:09 AM
I'm astounded how stupid some ramblings here can be.
Of course some things wouldn't be useful in your everyday life but, if I dare to say, this is a pretty limited thought.

Learning, or should I say knowing, stupid maths demonstration will be non-negotiable if you seek for higher studies in mathematics, physics, informatics, even chemistry etc.
The same applies for all the rest also knowing all this "bullshit" represents an incredibly high intellectual value added which is a crucial asset not in your everyday life but in your life as a whole.
This plays also an important role in your country's competitiveness towards the rest of the world.
I remember this fact about the UK losing billions in business because of their lack of knowledge in foreign languages.

To the OP, if you think school is too easy just work to be the best and perhaps with college you'll have a real challenge.

Sonicomsk
March 27th, 2016, 07:12 AM
imo, school is not useless itself, but some subjects have to be not necessary for everyone. I don't want to study all Biology terms to get 4(equivalent to US's B) or Chemistry or whatever else. I just can't realise - why don't they can give us basic things obligatory and harder things for ones who want to attend college and link their live with this subject(sorry if my message is unclear). Or is it made in normal countries?

jata111
April 2nd, 2016, 04:21 PM
You are understandably bored with a dry curriculum, independently pursue areas of knowledge that interest you... also think about the applications of what you are learning in-school..

Based on what you wrote, you want to do something with social purpose and meaning. Health-care, environmental science, education, poverty, human rights, non-profit type stuff. Find somewhere to volunteer or intern or in some other way get involved in the community, locally or on a more macro scale