PDA

View Full Version : 100 Books

TheSmokingMan
March 14th, 2016, 06:55 PM
I decided in the final week of January that, starting February 1st, I was going to have one calendar year to read 100 books (2 per week) of many lengths, authors, and genres. So far I have read 13 books (I JUST finished the 13th book last night). My master plan is to shoot for 100 and definitely read 75. One of my summer "challenge reads" is Giovanni Boccaccio's masterwork "The Decameron".

With my current status, I think I'm doing just fine.

What sorts of reading goals have you set for yourselves this year? Who is your favorite author? What is your favorite book?

Tell me all about it! I'd love to know :)

Sheriff McGregor
March 14th, 2016, 08:52 PM
I'm more focused on writing than reading, but that's a great goal you've set. Good job and I hope you achieve it.

Cristina15
March 17th, 2016, 06:23 AM
I decided in the final week of January that, starting February 1st, I was going to have one calendar year to read 100 books (2 per week) of many lengths, authors, and genres. So far I have read 13 books (I JUST finished the 13th book last night). My master plan is to shoot for 100 and definitely read 75. One of my summer "challenge reads" is Giovanni Boccaccio's masterwork "The Decameron".

With my current status, I think I'm doing just fine.

What sorts of reading goals have you set for yourselves this year? Who is your favorite author? What is your favorite book?

Tell me all about it! I'd love to know :)

I don't like to have a fixed plan for everything in particular for reading books...

Hudor
March 17th, 2016, 07:16 AM
I never fixed a schedule for reading(unless it was text books). I just read a book I like when I find it. Currently though, I'm focusing on finishing up my own works that are spreading untended. So not reading anything since the last month.

zack.zack
March 17th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I once set a goal for myself to read a book a month over the summer and I came really close to doing that, but one of the books I chose to read took a little longer than I expected.

Right now my favorite book is Jamie Oneill's 'At Swim, Two Boys" : The 16-year-old heroes of his book, shy pale Jim Mack and bold dark Doyler Doyle, childhood friends, make a pact in 1915 to meet the next Easter, and to swim out together to the distant rocks called the Muglins. The pretext is to plant a green flag there, to claim the rocks for Ireland, but there is also an attraction between them, a deeper promise to be together.

TheSmokingMan
March 17th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I don't like to have a fixed plan for everything in particular for reading books...

I never fixed a schedule for reading(unless it was text books). I just read a book I like when I find it. Currently though, I'm focusing on finishing up my own works that are spreading untended. So not reading anything since the last month.

I see. I never really used to set a 'schedule' for reading, unless they were required for school like you mentioned Hudor. But that said, it has really broadened my horizons to read as many books as I've been reading. I mean, so far it's been amazing to be exposed to all the different authors and styles.

TheSmokingMan
March 17th, 2016, 08:48 AM
I once set a goal for myself to read a book a month over the summer and I came really close to doing that, but one of the books I chose to read took a little longer than I expected.

Right now my favorite book is Jamie Oneill's 'At Swim, Two Boys" : The 16-year-old heroes of his book, shy pale Jim Mack and bold dark Doyler Doyle, childhood friends, make a pact in 1915 to meet the next Easter, and to swim out together to the distant rocks called the Muglins. The pretext is to plant a green flag there, to claim the rocks for Ireland, but there is also an attraction between them, a deeper promise to be together.

That's a good goal! As much as I'm enjoying the 100 books (or 2 a week depending how you look at it) challenge, I'm starting to feel the pressure :) I mean, if you don't consistently finish books you end up getting royally screwed.

So yeah.
I'm glad you HAVE a favorite book. I don't think I could give you one outright... :) I have certain series that I like better than others. Like my favorite SERIES is Steven James' "Patrick Bowers" novels. They are a series of thrillers about an FBI agent who hunts serial criminals using the somewhat controversial technique of "geographical profiling". I HIGHLY recommend those books. My other series that I've come to love is John Sandford's "Prey" books.
Good Stuff!

everlong
March 23rd, 2016, 06:43 PM
2 books a week seems like a lot, maybe it's just me.

lliam
March 24th, 2016, 12:16 AM
I have read ten books in a week. Maybe two more. Spread over a decade, the balance is then perhaps just 2 books a week.

I basically read only what I like or what seems interesting. The amount may vary between 10 books in a week or 100 books in a hundred years. Who cares?

But respect for your project.