PDA

View Full Version : Personality Disorders

jwrj53
March 11th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Anyone?

I was looking over my medical history when I was 11 they said I had a deferred diagnosis on Axis II.

SubEruanna
May 3rd, 2016, 10:59 AM
tried googling it?, tried asking your parents?

Deleted User
May 3rd, 2016, 09:26 PM
A deferred diagnosis means that no diagnosis was made or it was deferred to a later time. When you're 11, your personality is still forming and will continue to form and change over your teenage years. For most personality disorders, doctors will not diagnose until after the age of 18 due to emotional and mental maturity. In extreme cases, you can be diagnosed young or display severe symptoms.

With lesser symptoms, a doctor may defer a diagnosis to adulthood if the symptoms persist. If not, you were just never diagnosed because there was likely no need. You're 20 now and if it hasn't been revisited, I can't see it being an issue. If you were acting out at age 11, with some people that's a phase and with others it could be cause for concern but all that meant was that there were traits but no definitive signs.

Personality disorders are only diagnosed when certain traits and symptoms persist into early adulthood and often impede on emotional and psychological development and alter your functioning, hence "personality" disorder.