PDA

View Full Version : A Math teacher or an English one

Student of Magic
March 9th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Heyy,

I think this is my first topic on this forum, I hope I posted it in the right section.

I am in the 11th grade right now, so I have one more year (aside from this) and I'll go to university (hopefully :D). Therefore, I should choose the career I would like to have as soon as possible. I've already made up my mind to become a teacher, thus I should just pick the subject that I'll be supposed to teach, but now a hard task comes up - picking one between English and Maths.

I know it should be about what I like the most, but I think some more opinions on this may only assist me in finding the answer. I guess that some of you live in countries which have English as the first language (btw, I live in Romania and I'm planning to stay here) and that what you learn there may be different from what, for example, I do, but I accept answers from anybody.

What I would like you to do is telling me what do you think is better, what would you choose between being an English teacher and a Maths teacher or which one of those subjects do you think has been more interesting so far. You may answer these questions as well if you want to:

1. How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week?
2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)?
3. Will school (if it still exists :P) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths?

Any answers are welcome :D

Porpoise101
March 9th, 2016, 04:24 PM
2-3 1.5 hour classes
2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)?
Usually math. I'm fairly decent at English (primary language), and I'm ok at my second language.
3. Will school (if it still exists :P) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths?
I think English classes will be more about how to write well instead of a grammar focus. But since you would be teaching it as a second language, maybe the class would teach the same things, but in a more engaging way.

Math will be the same more or less except maybe in higher levels where they may talk about new math innovations or computer science.

Endeavour
March 9th, 2016, 05:32 PM
. How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week? 5 hours of each per week
2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)?english definitely!
3. Will school (if it still exists ) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths?
not sure~

kylem1229
March 9th, 2016, 09:18 PM
How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week? Finished math last semester, 1 english class per day
2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)? Neither, I am great at both
3. Will school (if it still exists ) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths?
English will be stressed on more than math, as the US Literacy skills are decreasing

Andy0308
March 10th, 2016, 01:39 AM
1. How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week? I have English this semester,I have it everyday for 1.5 hrs and same for math but it was last semester

2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)? I definitely need helo in English! Math has always been easy for me but I'm horrible at English

3. Will school (if it still exists :P) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths? I really don't know

german_boy
March 10th, 2016, 09:42 AM
12th grade (last year)
1. How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week? both 4 (each 45mins).
Maths! I'm good in maths so I don't study for it, just read over the stuff we have done. As a native speaker in a non-English-speaking country, English lessons are quite easy (but not too boring, we always watch videos and movies). Never had to study vocabulary or grammar and always got a A+ grade.
I guess it will be the same, at least here in Germany.

Meron
March 10th, 2016, 10:15 AM
If you wanna ruin lives, then become a math teacher. Trust me.

If you like to talk and share, then sure, become an English teacher.

Body odah Man
March 10th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Heyy,

I think this is my first topic on this forum, I hope I posted it in the right section.

I am in the 11th grade right now, so I have one more year (aside from this) and I'll go to university (hopefully :D). Therefore, I should choose the career I would like to have as soon as possible. I've already made up my mind to become a teacher, thus I should just pick the subject that I'll be supposed to teach, but now a hard task comes up - picking one between English and Maths.

I know it should be about what I like the most, but I think some more opinions on this may only assist me in finding the answer. I guess that some of you live in countries which have English as the first language (btw, I live in Romania and I'm planning to stay here) and that what you learn there may be different from what, for example, I do, but I accept answers from anybody.

What I would like you to do is telling me what do you think is better, what would you choose between being an English teacher and a Maths teacher or which one of those subjects do you think has been more interesting so far. You may answer these questions as well if you want to:

Any answers are welcome :D

I'd say become a math teacher if you want to teach in schools. If you're up for teaching outside of schools become an English teacher as English is becoming more and more important as a global language so it will be easy to find people that want to speak it and that will be willing to learn

Typhlosion
March 13th, 2016, 10:51 PM
1. How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week? I had 2 math classes, 2 English, and 3 Portuguese classes back in high school.
2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)? I imagine people have more trouble with mathematics than with English/literature. I didn't use help for either.
3. Will school (if it still exists :tongue:) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths? No idea. They should be more or less stable because the country's education is totally planned.

Do you have any experience teaching?

Student of Magic
March 15th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Thank you very much for all of your answers. :D

Typhlosion nope, I don't, but the fun that you can have with your pupils during an engaging class, along with the spontaneity and the different ways of explaining things that a teacher may have to think of everytime he or she tries to teach something (I guess that people are different, so they learn different) makes me think that teaching may never be boring and that I'd like it :D

Microcosm
March 18th, 2016, 07:03 PM
I'd like to throw in the advice that I think it's not necessarily just about which subject you're attracted to, but also which subject you would like to personally learn more about and share with others. It goes back to what a teacher actually does.

Do you enjoy teaching others math more than you enjoy teaching them english?

rather than

Do you like math or do you like english?

I hope that makes sense. Best of luck.

Typhlosion
March 18th, 2016, 08:12 PM
@Typhlosion (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/member.php?u=97178) nope, I don't, but the fun that you can have with your pupils during an engaging class, along with the spontaneity and the different ways of explaining things that a teacher may have to think of everytime he or she tries to teach something (I guess that people are different, so they learn different) makes me think that teaching may never be boring and that I'd like it :D

:D

I had some experiences giving small "classes" to friends and colleagues, and I highly recommend trying so! You get to know both the subject and the teaching experience better, and have fun during your time. Do you enjoy doing presentations? I feel like those are pretty related too.

Student of Magic
March 26th, 2016, 03:14 AM
Microcosm I'm not so sure about what I like more since I haven't done any teaching, but I think that knowing what subject you'd like more to teach is important if you want to pursue a teaching career. Thank you :D
Typhlosion umm... I think I have some sort of social anxiety and thus I don't really like presentations. I usually feel really anxious before doing presentations and when I do them, sometimes, I feel like my mind just blocks. Perhaps that's because I'm afraid of doing any mistakes and of people laughing at me because of them (I'm not sure if they would, maybe it's just in my mind). But anyway, this is another topic. Perhaps I would enjoy presentations more if I wasn't so nervous about them. I know teaching in front of the class implies some kind of presentations, this is why I would like to overcome anxiety.

Typhlosion
March 27th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Wildest Dreams I hope you do overcome it :j

What about a small revision class to your close friends or so?

devotionnel
March 27th, 2016, 11:36 AM
1. How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week? 7 hours of each a fortnight

2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)? Definitely English, it's my weaker point and I find that it's more content heavy than maths - and I generally find maths easier to understand imo.

3. Will school (if it still exists) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths? I have no clue, maybe they will add more hours in the day for English and Maths because of the new reformed GCSEs in the UK (which my year is the first to do - yippee.)

Plane And Simple
March 28th, 2016, 08:58 AM
1. How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week? Maths, four a week, English, three, both lasting around 50min each

2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)? English is good for me. Never really needed any help apart from looking up a few words here and there. Maths, I do need some help as it's starting to get a little tough but it's something I'm certainly capable of doing

3. Will school (if it still exists ) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths? I can't answer this as my government is attempting to change everything every four to eight years, but I hope it stays the same. When I was 13 to 16 we had up to five classes a week of english, and now 17 and 18 we only have three. I feel English should be one of the primary subjects (same as French or German or whatever foreign language you're studying) and not be left aside, specially as society is evolving currently. I find people in my class that don't even know how to ask for a coffee in english, which is pretty worrying. In terms of classes themselves, I'm good with the current system we have here. Maths wise, It's perfect now with the current units, times, and quantity overall.

mahony0509
March 28th, 2016, 11:17 AM
1) 5 each
2) english long writing
3) some english is pointless, so that

Doro15
March 28th, 2016, 12:51 PM
inform you which subject is in highest demand

Student of Magic
March 29th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Thank you for all of your answers :)
Typhlosion a revision class? What's that? We had once like a big project that we had to present in front of the class and we prepared for it and done a few revisions, too, I guess (like 2, but I remember we hadn't done a complete revision, so I'm not sure if I can call those 'revisions').

Hideous
March 29th, 2016, 03:13 PM
1. How many classes of English and Maths do you have per week? I have English and Math 4 times a week
2. At which one between English and Maths do you think you'd need more help for your exams (or, in general, if you don't have any exams at these subjects coming)? Definitely Math.
3. Will school (if it still exists ) have almost the same subjects with the same number of classes per week for each one (as now) in 10 years? What do you think will change at English? But at Maths? Because of the common core bullshit here, I'm pretty sure the number of classes would increase for both subjects.

Typhlosion
March 29th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Wildest Dreams because there was a test coming up, I prepared a small "revision class" to help them out with complex numbers during recess (the teacher wasn't very clear either). It helped them a lot and was superfun, and they liked it enough for a second. If you feel like people are lost in maths/english it might be a great opportunity :)