PDA

View Full Version : Android woes

Judean Zealot
March 7th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I've owned my current phone (Android 4) for over a year and a half. Around two weeks ago my phone began randomly freezing and restarting on me (the restart is also extremely slow). At roughly the same time, I began getting hit with those annoying "Unfortunately, [app] has stopped working", on just about every app on my phone.

I tried deleting my caches, I tried getting a new battery, I even factory reset, but the issues are still here. I know very little about computers and phones, so maybe someone here can help me out.

Mars
March 7th, 2016, 08:04 AM
1. Throw your current phone out the window
2. See if it works
3. If it does work, throw it in the street and wait for a car to run it over
4. See if it works
5. Obviously won't work because you just threw it out the window and a car ran over it
6. Get a better phone

Desuetude
March 7th, 2016, 08:23 AM
1. Throw your current phone out the window
2. See if it works
3. If it does work, throw it in the street and wait for a car to run it over
4. See if it works
5. Obviously won't work because you just threw it out the window and a car ran over it
6. Get a better phone
Couldn't agree more. I had a Nexus 5 that did exactly that. Apps and camera crashed every 2 minutes, battery ran out in an hour, factory reset did fuck all and in the end I couldn't do anything but get a new one. There's definitely a glitch with android that when you use it for a couple of years constantly it just starts deteriorating and it sucks.

phuckphace
March 7th, 2016, 08:28 AM
same happened to me with several different Android phones. I've given up on it and probably won't buy another Android phone ever.

nerds will tell you to install a custom ROM which can sorta help (potentially) but even trying 500 different ROMs for me still ended in a slow death to lag and crashes. tl;dr Android is shit

Ragle
March 7th, 2016, 09:23 AM
throw it in the street and wait for a car to run it over

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/enzo-crash-android.jpg

Uranus
March 7th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Sounds like you do need a new phone,
Go with Apple or a better android, like a Samsung Galaxy S7 or LG

northy
March 7th, 2016, 01:31 PM
image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/enzo-crash-android.jpg)

ROMs didn't work for me either :(

Get a new phone. If you don't want to spend too much, phones like OnePlus and Wileyfox work, have a good reputation and are good value for money.

Abhorrence
March 7th, 2016, 02:11 PM
I've gotta say Android really isn't very reliable but I don't think I'd go back to Apple. I use a helluva lot of space on my phone and so I've got a 32gb model and a 128gb micro SD card. I'm not spending like a thousand for a 128gb iPhone model, even if they are more reliable.

Meron
March 7th, 2016, 02:32 PM
You must put it in the microwave while playing John Cena's music on full volume. Pour pumpkin sauce on it aftwerwards.

...I'm joking. xD

I own an Ace III since 2 years, and I never find it doing such things. Try getting another version of Android, if no software resets work then it's obviously a hardware issue.

phuckphace
March 7th, 2016, 02:32 PM
yeah iOS is admittedly much smoother and less crash-prone but the buy-in is 2steep4me

I guess it depends on what OP is willing to pay and what he uses his phone for. you might consider looking into a second-hand iPhone if storage space isn't an issue

Jinglebottom
March 7th, 2016, 02:48 PM
My sister's Android always used to unexpectedly crash at random. It also lagged, froze, and was an overall glitchy piece of junk (that was after she had stopped preaching to Jesus about how iPhones and iPhone users sucked) that didn't stop giving her problems till she switched to Apple and never looked back.

JoeS254
March 10th, 2016, 04:09 AM
I had the very same issue with my Android too. I guess its some kind of virus affecting the whole system. I still couldn't get it fixed. Brought a new one.

Cristina15
March 18th, 2016, 05:10 PM
buy an Iphone 6s and you will solve all your problems

Sonicomsk
March 27th, 2016, 09:40 AM
ROMs didn't work for me either :(

Get a new phone. If you don't want to spend too much, phones like OnePlus and Wileyfox work, have a good reputation and are good value for money.

does Wileyfox Swift worth its money? I'm currently choosing between Wileyfox Swift, Xiaomi Redmi 2/3 and Iphone 4S and honestly I don't know what to choose. I'm limited in money so I doubt if I can't afford something more expensive.

Microcosm
March 28th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I've had my Samsung Galaxy s3 for almost three years now. It's started slowing down some but typically the problems are fairly minimal. I'd suggest getting a more high-end phone if you use your phone a lot. Best advice I could give you is to do the research to find a phone that fits any budget restraints you may have, has good reviews, and is in any other ways generally pleasing to you. For instance, if you like aesthetic and a smoother, cleaner interface, the iPhone tends to be a good choice.

northy
April 2nd, 2016, 09:38 AM
does Wileyfox Swift worth its money? I'm currently choosing between Wileyfox Swift, Xiaomi Redmi 2/3 and Iphone 4S and honestly I don't know what to choose. I'm limited in money so I doubt if I can't afford something more expensive.

Don't go for the iPhone. It will be out of date soon and then it will be virtually useless. The wileyfox has good reviews and it has a current gen Snapdragon 410 that it going to be powerful enough for you. I don't have it personally (Oneplus X) but the new era of smartphones is coming and I'd say go for it.

Endeavour
April 2nd, 2016, 04:06 PM
I've always been a fan for Android. My Galaxy S3 which was wonderful, stopped working after nearly 3 years of use, and my new phone is running well. I don't think I'd want an iPhone.

Silicate Wielder
April 7th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Phones can go bad, it's not the OS' problem, but usually more of a hardware issue.

Meep meep meepity meep meep meep!

jdhud024
April 13th, 2016, 01:59 AM
Sounds like you do need a new phone,
Go with Apple or a better android, like a Samsung Galaxy S7 or LG

LG hands down, my LG G3 has been indestructible. It's been swimming a few times, dropped down stairs with no case, and it still works great with no damage to the screen or it at all. It running CyanogenMod 13 (Android 6.0 AOSP ROM) makes it even better.

Uranus
April 13th, 2016, 08:16 AM
LG hands down, my LG G3 has been indestructible. It's been swimming a few times, dropped down stairs with no case, and it still works great with no damage to the screen or it at all. It running CyanogenMod 13 (Android 6.0 AOSP ROM) makes it even better.

Apple and Samsung also are very water resistant, iPhone's especially, even though they don't say it, plus they are very strong devices and run very well. In my opinion, either Apple or Samsung or LG would be a good choice, it all depends whether you prefer iOS or Android