PDA

View Full Version : Needing some help.

PoseidonX43
March 3rd, 2016, 07:02 PM
Right now i have a laptop and it has fulfilled my purposes but as of this moment i'm looking for something with a little more beef to it.

Laptop Specs:

Processor AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.30 GHz
Memory(RAM): 4.00
System type: 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor

I'm mainly looking for a computer that has enough power to run games and VMware. I'm technically not looking for a gaming PC but i'm just looking for one that will run it when i want to. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Hyper
March 3rd, 2016, 11:02 PM
What games?

What budget?

SSD or not.

ethan-s
March 4th, 2016, 01:22 PM
-asus M5 a97 motherboard
AMD fx series 6 core.
16 gb of ram.
NVIDIA graphics.

that should get you started. it will be about 300 bucks for that stuff. BUT ITS WORTH IT lol.

Reise
March 5th, 2016, 04:14 AM
-asus M5 a97 motherboard
AMD fx series 6 core.
16 gb of ram.
NVIDIA graphics.

that should get you started. it will be about 300 bucks for that stuff. BUT ITS WORTH IT lol.
He's actually looking for a laptop.

Cryomancer: Thing is due to the difference of power (power supply and heat) between laptops and desktops most of the laptops able to properly run recent games are kinda expensive or at least "gaming oriented".
As Hyper said it depends therefore of the games you wanna play, with what quality and - of course - your budget.
An important thing is the screen size, 15.6" or 17.3" the prices aren't the same.

PoseidonX43
March 17th, 2016, 08:42 PM
I should have been more specific i'm more so looking for a desktop, but i couldn't really find one i was looking for.

(I really liked tigerdirect but they changed their website around so much that it's difficult to find what i'm looking for.)

PoseidonX43
March 17th, 2016, 08:45 PM
What games?

What budget?

SSD or not.

modded minecraft, and more so running virtual machines that may require a lot of RAM and Memory.

Budget? between $100 - $500

SSD really depends.

Reise
March 22nd, 2016, 06:21 PM
Cryomancer :
My bad. That's pretty rare for someone to look for a desktop nowadays (apart in the gaming community).
Minecraft, even modded is pretty light, are you taking into account the screen, keyboard, mouse etc in your budget? Or is it only for the tower?

redrider12
March 25th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Here's what I always tell people (I've built custom systems for people before):
Buy the absolute best hardware you can afford. If you can go right up to the top of that budget, you'll be in great shape and likely future-proofed.
Here's what I'd start with. I would recommend building obviously - it's much easier than you'd think. a

Z97 motherboard (my personal is an ASUS something)

Intel CPU Chip. There are varying opinions on this but I like the i5-i7 chips a lot. They run relatively cool and can be OCed pretty far if needed. The dual-core ones are very nice chips, and I believe there are a few quads also (but quad is probably overkill for what you'd be doing)

As far as hard drives, again there's some discussion here. It really depends more on budget. Go SSD if you can afford it. It's much faster in general. It's also shockproof and doesn't have the hardware limitation of the discs that an HDD will. The drawback is cost. They've come down for sure but they're still a tad pricey. And for the same price, you can get more HDD space. If you see the need for more space - probably anything above 500GB - you're probably better off going HDD. As for brands, they're all decently similar. If the price looks too good to be true, it probably is though. On my custom system, I have a 512GB SSD that holds the OS and other critical files, and a 500GB HDD that holds all of my games and game files. They are set up as an array, so it's in essence a Fusion Drive.

Another thing is RAM. I wouldn't tell anyone to buy a machine with under 8GB of RAM no matter what they're doing. Again, I'm running 2x8GB units for a total of 16 usable. With the x86 OS, the system can use all 16GB of that, and it frequently does.

800W or above PS assuming you have all of the above. The MB and CPU chip use about 100 each, plus you need power for case fans and CD/DVD/Floppy/LP drives or whatever else you want.

Peripherals can be done after the fact. Sure, you want a gaming mouse and keyboard. But with that $100, if you can survive another few months on the ones you already have, you can buy a better core component. Worth it to me.

Long story short, I know my PC parts. If you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me

ZacTheZebra
April 17th, 2016, 05:12 PM
For minecraft id say an i3-i5 its only minecraft and id say you should go for 16-32 gb ram and dont cheap out on psu so go for 500w is around enough case go for an ATX case any kind will do im not sure on mobo as it depends on processor so sorry and sdd 500GB-1TB hope i helped

jdhud024
April 17th, 2016, 09:45 PM
I'm sitting here like, "Just get a Mac". But they're expensive as hell and not good for gaming. Luckily I don't game, so I can get away with mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Desktop-GeForce-Graphics-Windows/dp/B01A2R72YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460947432&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+i5+desktop+nvidia

Yes, I linked Amazon because it was quicker to look there, but that is a decent machine, with an i5, Nvidia graphics, 8gb DDR4 RAM, and 1TB HD. It isn't the most high-end, but it is also only $850.

ZacTheZebra
April 18th, 2016, 04:26 PM
I'm sitting here like, "Just get a Mac". But they're expensive as hell and not good for gaming. Luckily I don't game, so I can get away with mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Desktop-GeForce-Graphics-Windows/dp/B01A2R72YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460947432&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+i5+desktop+nvidia

Yes, I linked Amazon because it was quicker to look there, but that is a decent machine, with an i5, Nvidia graphics, 8gb DDR4 RAM, and 1TB HD. It isn't the most high-end, but it is also only $850.

Haha good joke, but seriously. Mac? :lol::lol: :confused:

jdhud024
April 18th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Haha good joke, but seriously. Mac? :lol::lol: :confused:

Yeah. I needed a smaller laptop that has decent battery life, and basically I ended up falling in love with my 2015 13 inch retina MacBook Pro. And I used to be a diehard Windows fan who would never buy an Apple product.

Oh well. I don't game so I don't need a gaming rig, and the only intensive things I do on a computer are virtualization, which my MacBook can handle easily, and run MainStage 3 and a few other audio MIDI programs.

The two main things that made me choose this over a few other Windows laptops is that 1) I have gotten and can get over 10 hours on battery, depending on what I am doing, and 2) Mac OS X and the SSD in this thing are incredibly fast. Granted, I've seen fast Windows machines too running with SSDs, but I felt the MacBook Pro was consistently fast compared to the others I looked at.