PDA

View Full Version : Would you use this website? :)

Endeavour
March 3rd, 2016, 11:03 AM
Hey,

For my English Speaking and listening assessment we need to do a dragon's den style pitch (for those of you in the US/Australia it's Shark Tank I think) on a website or app that will benefit our age range.

So, i created a revision website where your teacher can set specific targets for you to work on, and depending on your current working level change, and could include past exam questions, games to remember the plots of the books you read in class etc.

There would also be summaries for the books you read, and you could also earn points for the activities you do, to try and 'compete' against your friends.

I'm doing the assessment next week but we need our speeches finished by Monday, so please respond :)

Please give your reason why you would/wouldn't use it (apart from if you have already left school) and any ideas for improvements.

Thank you very much in advance!

benlodge123
March 3rd, 2016, 11:33 AM
That's a great idea! Add a secure log in! (User name, password etc etc) is the revision website for all subjects or just one?

I would use it

Endeavour
March 3rd, 2016, 11:34 AM
That's a great idea! Add a secure log in! (User name, password etc etc) is the revision website for all subjects or just one?

Yeah, I asked my english teacher and she said schools could pay a subscription fee and then they give the students an individual login. So far it's only for English but I might put on other subjects, thanks for the idea! :)

benlodge123
March 3rd, 2016, 11:37 AM
Yes that's a great idea. Not sure if you've heard of a thing called Mathletics. Schools pay a fee to use it. You can compete world wide (live). I'm more of a geography person so a few more subjects would be key. Just the core ones (English, Maths, Science and Geography/History.

Endeavour
March 3rd, 2016, 11:39 AM
Yes that's a great idea. Not sure if you've heard of a thing called Mathletics. Schools pay a fee to use it. You can compete world wide (live). I'm more of a geography person so a few more subjects would be key. Just the core ones (English, Maths, Science and Geography/History.

I just looked at that mathletics page and it looks quite good, i might base mine on that. i wish my school had that :)

benlodge123
March 3rd, 2016, 11:42 AM
It's a fantastic website however it is primarily used by primary schools

The Byrd
March 3rd, 2016, 11:54 AM
I'd personally use it but not for English since that's one subject that I consider myself reasonably good at already. I think you should include more subjects to appeal to a wider market. Also, what would you do with the past exam questions? Would they just be accessible or would you be able to answer them on the website? Would teachers be able to see the results on the games? I think it's a good idea, just needs to be expanded on a bit more. :)

ImCoolBeans
March 3rd, 2016, 12:05 PM
The games might not be appropriate for higher grade levels. Is this targeted at one grade level? If not then maybe you should think about making slightly different setups for different grade levels.

Endeavour
March 3rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
The games might not be appropriate for higher grade levels. Is this targeted at one grade level? If not then maybe you should think about making slightly different setups for different grade levels.

I was thinking of doing games for lower levels and more exam-style questions for higher :) Thanks for your input.

ImCoolBeans
March 3rd, 2016, 12:11 PM
I was thinking of doing games for lower levels and more exam-style questions for higher :) Thanks for your input.

At my college a lot of math professors use something called Pearson MyMathLab, they also have it for other subjects but at my schools it seems to only be used for math. If you're unfamiliar with it you should check it out since it's somewhat similar to what you're describing. You can watch videos to teach you entire lessons if you don't understand what you went over in class, all of the homework is on there with expiring due dates, and professors have the option of giving quizzes and exams online through it if they choose. There are also a bunch of practice tests and quizzes you can do that won't hurt your grade, so you can practice as much as you feel you need to before an exam. If you need help with a question there is also an 'email my professor' button, as well as a 'help' button that gives you direct help in a step-by-step kind of way, and then it gives you a new problem to solve after you've been walked through the one you needed help with.

Endeavour
March 3rd, 2016, 12:13 PM
At my college a lot of math professors use something called Pearson MyMathLab, they also have it for other subjects but at my schools it seems to only be used for math. If you're unfamiliar with it you should check it out since it's somewhat similar to what you're describing. You can watch videos to teach you entire lessons if you don't understand what you went over in class, all of the homework is on there with expiring due dates, and professors have the option of giving quizzes and exams online through it if they choose. There are also a bunch of practice tests and quizzes you can do that won't hurt your grade, so you can practice as much as you feel you need to before an exam. If you need help with a question there is also an 'email my professor' button, as well as a 'help' button that gives you direct help in a step-by-step kind of way, and then it gives you a new problem to solve after you've been walked through the one you needed help with.

Didn't think of having videos, that's a pretty good idea. Thank you.

I think you should include more subjects to appeal to a wider market.
Good point, I was thinking of doing that (see above for Ben's point), I'll see how it goes.

Also, what would you do with the past exam questions? Would they just be accessible or would you be able to answer them on the website? Would teachers be able to see the results on the games? I
I'm thinking teachers see results on games, and students can submit their responses to their teacher through the website for marking.

benlodge123
March 3rd, 2016, 01:32 PM
We use mymaths

Uranus
March 3rd, 2016, 03:47 PM
Give me the link to the website and I'll tell you after I at least see it

Endeavour
March 3rd, 2016, 04:20 PM
Give me the link to the website and I'll tell you after I at least see it

It's not an actual website, it's a design idea we have to do for English

The Byrd
March 4th, 2016, 01:02 PM
We use mymaths

OMG! We used to use that in year 7! I didn't find it very helpful though. Now we use something called Maths Watch and it's really good. It's got like video lessons on it.

benlodge123
March 4th, 2016, 01:16 PM
We use mymaths now!!

Endeavour
March 4th, 2016, 01:41 PM
OMG! We used to use that in year 7! I didn't find it very helpful though. Now we use something called Maths Watch and it's really good. It's got like video lessons on it.

Same, but we're kind of going off topic, this was supposed to be about my design idea, but you know..

Uniquemind
March 5th, 2016, 02:22 AM
Adapt your design.

Your going to have to figure out how to scale the idea and also how the website will adapt depending on course subjects.

Also video tutorials specifically in math at higher levels of algebra will and is hard to understand because how you type equations in is different to how you write them on paper.

That's gonna take a learning curve.

It's like how in math you have pencil and paper but then you get this scientific calculator and all of a sudden you NEED a course just how to work the device.

So that's a hurtle you gotta get over.

On the faculty side does it save grading time for educators by reducing paper clutter?
How do you prevent cheating?

Endeavour
March 5th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Adapt your design.

Your going to have to figure out how to scale the idea and also how the website will adapt depending on course subjects.

Also video tutorials specifically in math at higher levels of algebra will and is hard to understand because how you type equations in is different to how you write them on paper.

That's gonna take a learning curve.

It's like how in math you have pencil and paper but then you get this scientific calculator and all of a sudden you NEED a course just how to work the device.

So that's a hurtle you gotta get over.

Ok maybe with that in mind, considering I've got to get this all ready over the weekend I might just limit it to one subject. With the videos, for English let's say, might be an easier way to understand the main themes of a play for example, than just a revision block

On the faculty side does it save grading time for educators by reducing paper clutter?
How do you prevent cheating?
At our school they already ask that as much homework as possible is submitted via email to our teachers, well it's not an actual exam does it matter if they cheat? until they have enough practice of the exam questions it shouldn't be strictly controlled, all I'm thinking is some sort of plagiarism checker..

Mars
March 5th, 2016, 09:17 AM
So what are the features of it so far?

Videos, exam questions for higher grades, games for lower, book summaries and plots, teachers being able to set personal goals for you, and that's about it?

Sounds good to me :D I would use it.

Endeavour
March 5th, 2016, 09:38 AM
So what are the features of it so far?

Videos, exam questions for higher grades, games for lower, book summaries and plots, teachers being able to set personal goals for you, and that's about it?

Sounds good to me :D I would use it.

Pretty much yeah :) Thanks