PDA

View Full Version : Car biases

PinkFloyd
March 2nd, 2016, 12:42 AM
I noticed something about myself today. I'm prejudiced to people with nice cars. A good example wold be if I see a brand BMW 7Sseries cut through 4 lanes of freeway traffic doing like 90 mph, I automatically think of them as a rich snob who thinks they're above everyone else. However, If I see a late 90s Honda Civic doing the same exact thing, the worst I'll think is that they're a bone head for driving too fast; Then I'll dismiss that idea worry that they were in a hurry because their wife is labor or got shot or something awful.. Sorry for the rambling, I've had a long day... haha Anyways, does anyone else do this?

CharlieHorse
March 2nd, 2016, 01:25 AM
i think there's a stereotypical correlation between wealth and how much the people care about others who aren't as wealthy.

Professional Russian
March 2nd, 2016, 08:51 AM
Yeah I'm like that. I've turned into one of those you move out of my way or I will move you. So nothing really affects me anymore. But I do find myself calling people in range rovers assholes for cutting me off. Don't people know the bigger vehicle gets the right of way?

PinkFloyd
March 2nd, 2016, 11:38 AM
Yeah I'm like that. I've turned into one of those you move out of my way or I will move you. So nothing really affects me anymore. But I do find myself calling people in range rovers assholes for cutting me off. Don't people know the bigger vehicle gets the right of way?

I have a very extreme bias towards Range Rovers. It's only that model though. If someone's in an also expensive LR4, it's whatever. If I see an old Defender, I'll be like "That's badass!" But Range Rovers... Agh, every upper class suburban asshole has one and "oooooooh I can spend 90K on a car and I'm way better than you'll ever be!" -literally all drivers of Range Rovers I have met

Professional Russian
March 2nd, 2016, 11:42 AM
I have a very extreme bias towards Range Rovers. It's only that model though. If someone's in an also expensive LR4, it's whatever. If I see an old Defender, I'll be like "That's badass!" But Range Rovers... Agh, every upper class suburban asshole has one and "oooooooh I can spend 90K on a car and I'm way better than you'll ever be!" -literally all drivers of Range Rovers I have met

Hell my ex has a range Rover....and if you know the story that just proves the point more

PinkFloyd
March 2nd, 2016, 12:09 PM
Hell my ex has a range Rover....and if you know the story that just proves the point more

There are exceptions though. I know a kid who's parents bought him a brand new BMW M4 and he's really down to earth and nice. Sorry about your ex btw

Professional Russian
March 2nd, 2016, 03:11 PM
There are exceptions though. I know a kid who's parents bought him a brand new BMW M4 and he's really down to earth and nice. Sorry about your ex btw

Yeah no shes not down to earth. She thinks the world owes everything. When I found out she left me because I wasn't making money I saw what type of person she was. BTW did you get that PM I sent you with the iroc?

PinkFloyd
March 3rd, 2016, 11:24 AM
Yeah no shes not down to earth. She thinks the world owes everything. When I found out she left me because I wasn't making money I saw what type of person she was. BTW did you get that PM I sent you with the iroc?

When did you send it?

Professional Russian
March 3rd, 2016, 03:24 PM
When did you send it?

Acouple days ago

PinkFloyd
March 4th, 2016, 12:13 AM
Acouple days ago

Nope, I didn't get it. My messages are 90% full so that could have something to do with it.

Professional Russian
March 4th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Nope, I didn't get it. My messages are 90% full so that could have something to do with it.

Well damn clean that shit out

CosmicNoodle
March 4th, 2016, 05:18 PM
I noticed something about myself today. I'm prejudiced to people with nice cars. A good example wold be if I see a brand BMW 7Sseries cut through 4 lanes of freeway traffic doing like 90 mph, I automatically think of them as a rich snob who thinks they're above everyone else. However, If I see a late 90s Honda Civic doing the same exact thing, the worst I'll think is that they're a bone head for driving too fast; Then I'll dismiss that idea worry that they were in a hurry because their wife is labor or got shot or something awful.. Sorry for the rambling, I've had a long day... haha Anyways, does anyone else do this?

Every fuckin' time. Sadly around here the stereotypes seem to be true

Inflation26
March 5th, 2016, 08:57 AM
even though it's something that everyone including me does, I really dislike it when people judge others based on stereotypes. My dad works for BMW and sometimes he gets a clients M car for the weekend to testdrive it after repairs and he always gets weird looks from people from our town. One time my dad and stepmother went to a birthday party and people thought she was dating a rich snob now because he "drove" a 7 series (which was not his obviously but a clients car).

It's just a car. When someone drives a black BMW, Audi or Merc doesn't mean they always run red lights and pass on the right. It just means they have bad fuel economy...

ethan-s
March 5th, 2016, 09:52 AM
you know? it happens to me to. i never realized until now.

Plane And Simple
March 5th, 2016, 10:28 AM
So we just got a BMW F30 here. Love it, but there's thing thing that I find pretty funny. Whenever my dad's driving it everything's fine, but God forbid if my mom overtakes somebody with her doing the speed limit on it. He'll or earth unfolds and you see the overtaken car drop a gear, floor it, and overtake us again, only to pull in front of us and slow to the speed limit again. I can't count the times when she's had to step on it to finally leave the other guy (I say guy, females drive properly) behind and let us be. Envy? Jealousy? I don't know, but if I knew you you'd be getting a ride on it if you so want, not everyone that drives a BMW is a selfish prick here

even though it's something that everyone including me does, I really dislike it when people judge others based on stereotypes. My dad works for BMW and sometimes he gets a clients M car for the weekend to testdrive it after repairs and he always gets weird looks from people from our town. One time my dad and stepmother went to a birthday party and people thought she was dating a rich snob now because he "drove" a 7 series (which was not his obviously but a clients car).

It's just a car. When someone drives a black BMW, Audi or Merc doesn't mean they always run red lights and pass on the right. It just means they have bad fuel economy...

And not even that. Doing 5.6l/100km not particularly slow on our 3 Series

Babs
March 6th, 2016, 12:55 PM
If I see a middle-aged lady with giant sunglasses driving a Range Rover or a BMW, of course I'm going to assume she's a rich asshole. Don't get my started on fuckin college students driving those. Who paid for their cars? Certainly not them.

Short-sighted? Fuck yeah. But I've never met a college student driving a BMW that I didn't think was an asshole.

PinkFloyd
March 7th, 2016, 12:55 AM
Well damn clean that shit out

just did

phuckphace
March 7th, 2016, 11:42 AM
whenever I see a limo I assume the driver is Donald Trump or voting for same

when I see a Civic with a spoiler my first guess is "Asian" and I'm not wrong 100% of the time (true story)

my dad is the only non-redneck I've ever seen driving a Dodge turbodiesel

and last but not least any of those hideous toaster-shaped nu-mobiles - there's ALWAYS a Bernie/Hillary sticker on the back and a Redditor/brony behind the wheel, no exceptions

Britboo14
March 8th, 2016, 01:30 PM
I wanna prius...