PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Favorite Artists And Why

Unknwn
February 29th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Hey everyone! I just wanted to share who, right now, my Top 3 favorite artists are and also include a little explanation as to why I like them. I would also love to hear about your favorite artists! :)

1) Michael Jackson
- The reason Michael Jackson is my favorite artist of all time is because I think he is an iconic musical legend, and I love his music. I love the messages he conveys through his music, I love how full of love he was, I love his moves, his singing, his art (whether it'd be his songs, music videos, clothing style, all of that), and, overall, I just see Michael as an idol. Although I would not call myself at all a "dancer", I do love to dance, mostly by playing games like Just Dance and whatnot, but I've played them so much now that family members and even friends have started seeing me as a dancer and, really, Michael inspired me to try and keep dancing in the first place (mostly because I can't listen to one of his songs without automatically starting to move my body lol). I also love that a lot of artists I listen to list Michael as an inspiration to them! :D Anyways, yes, Michael Jackson is my Top 1 musical artist ever! :P

2) Twenty One Pilots
- I discovered twenty one pilots in Fall 2014 after hearing Car Radio, ironically, on the car radio lol. I was in the car with my parents when they stopped to go somewhere. I asked if I could wait in the car, and they said yes. I had the radio on while waiting in the car, but I wasn't paying much attention to it; I was more focused on my phone. However, when I heard Tyler sing "sometimes quiet is violent", the lyrics just caught me. I looked away from my phone and just listened. I was transfixed, and it was the first song to ever capture me like that. When the song finished, I immediately looked up the artist and song and discovered my favorite band of all time: twenty one pilots. I relate to their music so much, and their music has kept me company through my darkest times. |-/

3) The Weeknd
- I feel like spot 3 for me fluctuates from time to time lol, but as of right now, I am going to say that The Weeknd is my 3rd favorite artist. In a way, I think my love for The Weeknd comes from his music reminding me of Michael Jackson x) While I don't necessarily relate to his music, listening to his music makes me feel a certain way--makes me want to join in that XO lifestyle :cool: xD I first heard of him last year when the Fifty Shades of Grey movie was popular since he has a song on the soundtrack. However, it wasn't until around the time his latest album, Beauty Behind The Madness, was coming out that I started to become a fan. Since then, I started listening to his old mixtapes and albums, and I loved them. So yeah, as of right now, the time I am writing this, The Weeknd holds place as my third favorite artist! :D

What do you guys think? I'm kinda interested to see if by next year, heck maybe even in a couple of months, if this list is still the same or not lol. How about you guys? What are your Top 3 favorite artists?! (:

kylem1229
February 29th, 2016, 07:45 PM
1. John Denver. I love the old classic country music that isnt about 1. A truck or 2. A girl. His songs also have the old classic country feel to it, and not the todays version of country music.

2. Lindsey Stirling. She has amazing violin talent. Besides her original songs, she also does great covers of popular songs.

3. Queen. Bohemian Rhapsody, need I explain more than that?

Melodic
March 1st, 2016, 10:46 AM
1. Christina Aguilera: Her voice is so amazing and SO underrated.

2. Demi Lovato: Also a very underrated vocalist, she has dealt with a lot struggles throughout her life. She is a very strong person and you can hear that in her music.

3. Pentatonix: Three of the members were just like me, performing in high school choir concerts, plays, and talent shows and now they've won 2 Grammys. They've made Acapella Music popular. I don't think I know 1 person who hasn't heard of Pentatonix.

PinkFloyd
March 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM
Pink Floyd
It's pretty obvious if you take a look at my username, but Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all time. I have many reasons for this of which I will go over. First off, the lyrics they produce are just absolutely fantastic. They're like nothing I've ever heard. They really make you think by using lots of deep meanings, metaphors, and references.
They're totally original with all of their stuff. I would go far to say that they actually developed certain things that would change music forever. For example, they created the wobble bass which is commonly used today in dubstep. The last aspect I'll go over is the guitar. David Gilmour isn't the greatest guitarist, but he's pretty damn far up there, and couple the guitar with the bad's lyrics and you have greatness.

Dire Straits
There's not much I can say about Dire Straits because to be totally honest, I don't know a lot about them. There's just something about "Sultans of Swing" and "Money for Nothing" that is just amazing.

Eminem (marshall Mathers)
I bet you weren't expecting this and neither was I to be honest. Eminem is pretty well known and I'll be honest, his newer stuff is quite overrated. But his older material (Infinite, Marshall Mathers LP, Slim Shady LP, Encore) is fantastic in my opinion. His story is one for the books too. He was raised by an abusive mother in the slums of Detroit. (Most notably his house south of 8 Mile Road on Dresden street) He moved around several times as a kid and was bullied at almost every new school he attended. I strongly recommed the movie "8 Mile." It tells Mathers' story very well.

Sheriff McGregor
March 1st, 2016, 10:24 PM
George Strait— he's the king of country music and has over 50 number one hits. And I like a lot of his sings

Brad Paisley— he was my favorite growing up, I've seen him three times in concert.

Brooks & Dunn— I liked a lot of their songs, still do but especially growing up.

Honorable mention: Florida Georgia line— I love their songs. They sing country songs that you can also party too. I think the above artists remind me more of childhood and growing up. Maybe in two years, these guys will remind me of high school and bring back good memories.

Other honorable mentions: Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Tyler Farr, Brantley Gilbert, Taylor Swift, Sia

Babs
March 2nd, 2016, 04:17 PM
In no particular order:

1. Rilo Kiley. I'm not sure why. I guess it's because their music is just chill and relatable. I've been listening to them for so many years, I guess they're just one of those bands I'll always be listening to.
2. Warren Zevon. He wrote such clever and often funny lyrics. Just one of those people I grew up listening to.
3. Wu-Tang Clan. Idk they just get you pumped.

The Byrd
March 3rd, 2016, 05:52 PM
1. The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Flying Burrito Brothers were formed in 1969 by Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman who had recently left the Byrds after recording, in my opinion, the greatest studio album of all time: Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Gram Parsons was also a former member of the International Submarine Band who were essentially the first ever country rock (or as Gram liked to put it "cosmic American music") band despite little commercial success. He was also in various other bands, including Shiloh. Chris Hillman was also formerly in other bands such as the Scottsville Squirrel Barkers and The Dillard and Clark Expedition. Gram and Chris left The Byrds wanting to form their own band and did so by recruiting Gram's former ISB bandmate on bass, Chris Etheridge. An emerging instrument on the country rock scene at the time was the pedal steel guitar so they also recruited the finest they could find in that department in the form of Sneaky Pete Kleinow. This is undoubtedly the most well known lineup of the Flying Burrito Brothers and in most critics eyes, the best lineup though I disagree. The original four hit the studio to record their debut album: The Gilded Palace of Sin. Gram Parsons was featured on lead vocals on the left with Hillman backing him up on the right. Chris was the lead guitarist of the group though like he did with vocals, Gram (the weaker guitarist) backed him up. Chris Etheridge's bass goes down fine on the album though doesn't touch his work during his later run with the Burritos. The real highlight of the Gilded Palace is Sneaky's excellent pedal steel work, namely on Christine's Tune, Sin City and Hot Burrito #1. It's no coincidence that these tracks are also where you'll found Parsons and Hillman's finest harmonies. Not an official Burrito Brother at the time, Jon Corneal helped the band out on drums in the studio for their debut album. I could give you a full history on the Burrito Brothers and all of the sixty plus members but no one on the face of the planet cares so I'm just going to stop here. Before I stop though, my favourite Flying Burrrito Brothers album is The Red Album which is a live album featuring my favourite lineup of the band: Joel Scott Hill, Gib Guilbeau, Sneaky Pete Kleinow, Chris Etheridge and Gene Parsons.

2. The Byrds - The original lineup of the Byrds was Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke and David Crosby. Most people know The Byrds for this lineup of the band and their first single: Mr Tambourine Man. These people have no idea what they're missing out on with them not listening to the later linenups of the band. McGuinn was fine in the original Byrds though it doesn't touch his work with the good Byrds. Gene Clark was excellent though like McGuinn, it doesn't touch his stuff with Dillard and Clark or solo stuff (arguably). I love Chris Hillman but he simply wasn't a bass player, he's a country and bluegrass guy and didn't belong in the Byrds. Michael Clarke wasn't really talented on drums or anything to be perfectly honest but he was a swell guy despite his addictions so I have no problem with him. David Crosby is where my problems lye with the original Byrds. People on the internet will try to defend Crosby, complementing his vocals and saying that he added to the harmonies of the band but they don't give you any evidence. His vocals were sloppy and really detracted from the performances. So I here you saying: "why do you have a problem with his lack of talent when you like Mike Clarke?" The answer is: David Crosby is an asshole - a talentless asshole. When the Byrds first formed, Gene Clark played rhythm guitar and vocals with Roger (Jim) McGuinn on Rickenbacker 370 12 string and vocals and David Crosby just on backing vocals. Crosby knew that he wasn't good and subsequently he manipulated Gene out of the rhythm guitar and took that to cover up his poor vocals. Gene being the creative soul that he was decided to adapt himself to playing tambourine, hence, his later nickname of Mr Tambourine Man. Mr Tambourine Man was released and then their second album Turn! Turn! Turn! was released at the end of 1965. Crosby, not happy about still being outshone by Gene, decided that the only way to go about getting the spotlight on him was to get Gene out of the band altogether. And he did. He bullied Gene Clark out of the Byrds, knowing how much of a fragile soul he was. Clark, unable to defend himself, left the Byrds because of David Crosby. The Byrds were then a shitty four piece band with just Roger McGuinn being a master of his instrument and vocals. Skip a few crappy albums and McGuinn fires Mike Clarke and David Crosby. Mike was replaced on drums by Kevin Kelley, and Crosby was replaced by the man himself: Gram Parsons! (Parsons also played piano and lead vocals on multiple songs.) This lineup of the Byrds turned the band from an average folk rock/psychedelic rock to the first second wave country rock band. Though they only recorded one studio album, it remains my favourite of all time: Sweetheart of the Rodeo. McGuinn and Parsons' duelling vocals are perfection. Hell, the album is even complete with pedal steel guitar. When Parsons and Hillman left like I mentioned earlier, they were replaced. The next year or so saw numerous lineup changes before they finally settled on Roger McGuinn, Clarence White, Skip Battin and Gene Parsons. This band recorded five studio albums, two live albums and numerous bootlegs. Ignore anything Richie Unterberger says.

3. Eagles - I'm not going to go into detail here because I've been typing for too long. Eagles are the most well known band on this list but most people know them for their rock era (post 1975). I like the country rock Eagles. When Bernie Leadon left in 1974, he took all of the country with him. Randy Meisner is actually my favourite artist of all time. Don Henley and Glenn Frey are overrated though they are both still fine musicians.

BigTex355
March 8th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Biggie Smalls (The Notorious B.I.G.) - He has a very smooth beat with all his songs, and has many great message that you can find in a lot of his songs.

Dr. Dre - His songs are pretty chill, have a good beat, and are just flat out the classics.

2Pac - He has a good voice and I think out of all the rappers, he has the best messages in all his songs. His songs are basically poetry.

xMetalxMachinex
March 14th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Theocracy-One of the very few great religious bands out there. They feature raw talent and use it to honor the lord. Their music is very well written and organized.

Stratovarius- No band captures emotion and puts it together beautifully quite like Stratovarius.

Blind Guardian-Blind Guardian features immersive Epics in every single album they release. The way they write music, quite like Stratovarius, adds its own storytelling, you just have to listen to understand.

Sports Boy
March 15th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Rolling Stones - one of the top five bands of all time, love just about every one of their songs.
Eminem - I think he's brilliant. Great lyrics with emotions that match.
U2 - They've put out some great songs.

Periphery
March 18th, 2016, 12:20 PM
1. Marilyn Manson. The god of fuck himself. He is the Antichrist Superstar. I love this guy, allot. In his early work he was all about the shock value. His songs meant something, he said what others didn't. His newer work might not be as good, some even say his carreer 'ended' after The Golden Age Of Grotesque, which is my favourite Manson album. I don't think that's true at all. I feel like with his newest LP, The Pale Emperor, he has made a comeback. Especially after his, in my opinion worst release, his previous LP Born Villian. I also feel like Eat Me Drink Me and The High End Of Low are really underated.

Anyways

2. Rammstein. Insane live shows, massive pyrotechnics, and most important, 6 Germans not giving a fuck about social norms. I'm going to see them live this summer, which makes it even better! Also, industrial metal, another good reason. They also made one of my favourite metal albums of all time, 'Mutter'. They make amazing music, and they're one of the best live bands of all time. And did I mention their dick cannon? Well, yeah ^^. Also, Till is such a powerhouse, especially at his age.

3. Slipknot. Just like Rammstein, impressive live shows all around. 9 maniacs instead of 6 here, all wearing those demonic masks. Their first album is still my favourit, it's probably their only real 'Nu Metal' album. With songs like Wait and Bleed, Surfacing and Eyeless, it's no secret this is what made Slipknot Slipknot. Pure chaos, hating the world, being an outcast. Same with Iowa, on there were songs like The Heretic Anthem and People = Shit. It's such a shame I'm missing the Slipknot, Marilyn Manson and Of Mice & Men tour this summer. Oh well, that's my top 3 ^^