PDA

View Full Version : Length of skirt for starting new job

Amber999
February 27th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Hello! I am 16, starting a new job at a fast food restaurant. The restaurant has pants as part of the uniform, but allows shorts in warmer weather. I am only allowed to wear skirts/dresses (just how I was raised). I also like to wear knee socks when possible with skirt (if that matters). I do like wear my skirts/dresses on the shorter side.

The fast food place will let me wear a skirt but hasn't or won't tell me what length, so that is really the question what length skirt should I think about for my new uniform?

Uranus
February 27th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Well it depends
Are you working at a normal restaraunt (Applebees, Outback Steak House, ect)
Or are you working at Hooters ? :D :P
Just use a normal skirt, not something that makes people look at you more than their food.

Amber999
February 27th, 2016, 02:17 PM
It is a normal restaurant (a local hamburger franchise) actually.

So what does 'normal skirt' mean?

Jordan99
February 28th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I like my dresses and skirts short too. I'd say wear what you want and if the manager doesn't say anything to you, you're good to go. If he (or she) says your skirt is too short, apologize and go out and buy a few that are a little longer. Without seeing your skirts it's hard to tell what you mean by short. I mean I wouldn't go to work in a micromini, but a shorter skirt is trendy and cute.

Amber999
February 28th, 2016, 11:41 AM
The place is very much like a McDonald's. I was thinking mid-thigh (bit less than finger tip) length, is that too short? I would wear knee socks too, as that is just my style.

Taryn98
February 28th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Only your boss can answer this question directly. I'm surprised they would even allow this. I don't know any fast food places that allow skirts for employees.
If they allow shorts, do they have a rule on how long shorts have to be? Because I'm sure if your skirt follows that rule you'll be fine.

Amber999
February 28th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I think you are right, they would probably only allow it to the length of the shorts worn.

Amber999
February 28th, 2016, 01:33 PM
The shorts are a few inches above the knee from what I've seen, depending on how tall a person is.

Sheriff McGregor
February 29th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I would suggest wearing a dress about knee length. I think it shows modesty and professionalism

Amber999
February 29th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Talked with the manager, finally, and she said it has to be the same length as the shorts.

BlackParadePixie
February 29th, 2016, 05:13 PM
for a job...i wouldn't go any shorter than knee length

Amber999
February 29th, 2016, 05:29 PM

I'd only be working a few hours each week <10 so I wouldn't be wearing it all the time. Money is always good. Besides, most of my skirts and dresses are above the knee anyway so I would be use to it.

BlackParadePixie
February 29th, 2016, 05:35 PM
I'd only be working a few hours each week <10 so I wouldn't be wearing it all the time. Money is always good. Besides, most of my skirts and dresses are above the knee anyway so I would be use to it.
the point isn't what you're used to...the point is what's appropriate for a job setting or not. If your manager or whoever says it needs to be a certain length, you shouldn't plan on doing anything different, unless you want to get fired.

Amber999
February 29th, 2016, 05:43 PM
the point isn't what you're used to...the point is what's appropriate for a job setting or not. If your manager or whoever says it needs to be a certain length, you shouldn't plan on doing anything different, unless you want to get fired.

She only said it must be same length as the shorts they wear in warmer weather, those are a few inches above the knee on me.

Amber999
March 1st, 2016, 08:11 PM
Got my schedule..whoo hoo! Work 5-9 1 day to start on a weekend.

Amber999
March 2nd, 2016, 04:57 PM
Bought my skirt for work on the way home...all set to go.

Doro15
March 4th, 2016, 01:46 PM

correct, this should actually know every girl

Amber999
March 4th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Doro-sorry just trying to understand the reply you suggest that it shouldn't be shorter than knee length?

kirsty_js16
March 5th, 2016, 05:28 AM
should be kneelength

Amber999
March 5th, 2016, 02:41 PM
should be kneelength

I already bought what the manager said was acceptable...had to be a length the same as the shorts they wear, so it is about mid thigh.