PDA

View Full Version : Jump(Short Story)

Reghan
February 23rd, 2016, 03:02 AM
Wrote this like a year ago. Enjoy!...I hope xD

This was it. I was going to do it. I was going to jump. Nobody would care, I’d be surprised if anyone even noticed I wasn’t around anymore. I looked down at the water below. Just one step and I’ll be gone forever... I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. One breath...two… Just as I was about to step, I heard a voice behind me.

“Kayleigh, what the hell are you doing?” I paused for too long. Strong arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me down from my position on the bridge railing. I struggled frantically against whoever was holding me, trying to get free. No, no, no, no, this was all wrong. This wasn’t part of the plan. I was supposed to be dead by now.

“No!” I screamed. “I want to die! I don’t want to be here anymore!” Tears streamed down my cheeks. “Let me go.” I said trying to act calmer. Maybe if I pretended to be okay he’d let me go, and I could...No, that wouldn’t work.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that Kayleigh.” I froze. Wait...I knew that voice. But it couldn’t be...could it?

“Simon?” He didn’t respond,but I knew it was him. “What are you doing here?” My voice was shaky. I ducked my head so that my ordinary brown hair would cover my face. I couldn’t bring myself to look at him.

“I’m saving you,” he said as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

“Really?” I said sarcastically. “Thanks, I got that part. I mean, how did you know I was here and what’s with the hero act? You don’t give a damn about what happens to me.” I was practically shouting now.

“If that were true, then why am I here?” He asked, avoiding my other questions.

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out! Why are you here when I know for a fact that you hate me.” I spoke, finally turning around to face him. I didn’t even realize he’d let go of me.

“Who told you that?” He asked. I stared at him, confused. Did he really not remember?

“You did.” I watched his face carefully. It was dark, but my eyes had adjusted enough that I could make out his facial expressions easily now.

“Oh, right.” He said quietly. There was a long pause before he answered. “I’m sorry, I never meant it. I was just…” I waited for him to finish.

When I realized he wasn’t going to say anything more, I said, “Why? What happened to us?” I said, already knowing the answer.

“Your dad killed my mom,” he said, “I blamed you for it, but I was young. I didn’t really understand at the time. I shouldn’t have blamed you. It wasn’t your fault. I don’t hate you. Actually I ummm...nevermind.” I struggled to find something to say because the truth was something I’d never said out loud.

“It was my fault.” I looked down at my feet as I spoke and twisted my fingers together. “I knew he was drunk. I told him he shouldn’t drive. I tried to stop him, but I didn’t try hard enough. I should’ve taken his keys or called someone else to intervene, but I didn’t. I’m sorry.” I let out a sigh of relief. I’d never said the words out loud before.

“No. It wasn’t your fault. I was wrong to blame you. I..” I cut him off.

“Don’t.” I said, my voice quiet, but stern. “It was MY fault. I’m so sorry Simon.” I didn’t want to stand anymore. The guilt was weighing me down. I plopped down on the ground and rested my chin on my knees. I heard Simon move and felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Kayleigh stop. You were thirteen. There was nothing you could have done to prevent it. Your dad knew what he was doing when he went out that night. It was his fault and only his fault.” I looked up at him. He seemed sincere. It’d been a long time since anyone had talked to me like this. My mother went kind of insane when my father was sentenced to 25 to life in prison. She still worked, but she almost never spoke to me. I made my own meals, did my own laundry, took the bus to school and did everything a mother should be doing for their child by myself.

“I have nothing to live for anymore. I have no friends or family. I have noone. I haven’t for the past 5 years.” I felt Simon move and looked up. He was now sitting across from me.

“Kayleigh, remember when you asked me how I found you?” I nodded. “I’ve always been looking out for you. Who do you think beat up that Jeremy kid that was picking on you sophomore year? Who do you think packed you a lunch and left it in your locker everyday Junior year? And this year...I sensed something was going on. I was afraid to approach you because I figured you probably hated me after what I said when the incident happened. I don’t know how I knew to come here tonight, but I did. I’m glad I did. I’m sorry things happened the way they did.” I just stared at him, trying to comprehend. I’d had no idea that stuff had been him.

“So, what the reason?” I asked casually.

“What?” He’d seemed to be lost in thought.

“What’s my reason to live?” I whispered.

“Me. I’m your reason.” Then he kissed me. I kissed him back, surprised. We kissed for a long time. I felt like I might float away.

When we pulled away from each other, he smiled. “I was going to say this earlier, but...well it just didn’t seem like a good time.” He took a deep breath and stared at me intently, watching for my reaction. “I love you, Kayleigh. I have for a really long time and now I can finally say it. I love you.”

I smile for the first time in a really long time. I didn’t know it before, but now I do. I take his hands in mine and look into his eyes. “I love you too, Simon.”

TheSmokingMan
March 18th, 2016, 10:59 PM
I truly do enjoy the product of your imagination. It is a very interesting place to be :)