PDA

View Full Version : Gardeners

Porpoise101
February 20th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I have a quiz thing for people to fill out...

Do you grow vegetables or herbs? If so what types?
Do you grow flowers from seed? What types?
Do you grow flowers from bulbs? If so, what types?
Do you plant starts?
If you live in the US, what is your USDA Hardiness Zone?
If you do not live in the US, what climate do you live in?
Do you grow shrubs/trees?
Do you grow fruits?

As for me, I grow heirloom veggies and herbs that I start in the late winter. I have a hardiness zone of 6 in the US, so I can grow some things, but I am still limited. I also grow cosmos and tulips flowers. This year I'm making a hummingbird garden and I'm growing mizuna, thai chili peppers, tomatoes, zucchini (courgette), and genovese basil. The basil is really good and I grow copious amounts for pesto and drying. Its also really good in thai and indian food.

Sailor Mars
February 20th, 2016, 07:51 PM
I tried growing basil once. Didn't work out so well.

Porpoise101
February 20th, 2016, 08:12 PM
I tried growing basil once. Didn't work out so well.
Sun is key

West Coast Sheriff
February 20th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I have(had) rose bushes, aspen trees, and pines. Over the last year or two, everything has died but the pines.

lliam
February 20th, 2016, 08:28 PM
My host parents have an wild garden. It's a quite unusual one for English gardening, I guess. In contrast, the Garden of my girlfriends parents is probably more the typical cultivated English garden. Her parents also talk a lot more about their garden than my host parents do.

In this case my host parents thinks similar my dad does, who isn't such a gardner.

Our garden at home (in Germay) is just a very large meadow on which a neighbor lets grazing his goats ... or he's mowing the grass to make it to store as hay. The remaining land is subdivided into parcels and leased to amateur gardeners.

Only seasonal we harvesting fruits such as cherries, nuts, chestnuts, apples, pears, blueberries, gooseberries and wild strawberries.

Besides fruit trees/hedges, there are mainly conifers, birch, ash and oak trees, and a weeping willow on our property.

Moriya
February 20th, 2016, 11:24 PM
My mom had a garden before she moved out of my dad's house. My sisters and I were left to tend for it, but the plants died.

All she really grew were flowers. Based on my memory, she didn't grow fruits or vegetables (and didn't want to).

Sailor Mars
February 20th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Sun is key

Did it in the middle of summer lol

Porpoise101
February 21st, 2016, 12:12 AM
Did it in the middle of summer lol
Oh, well what happened to it? Did it wilt, become discolored, or get spots?

Sailor Mars
February 21st, 2016, 12:53 AM
Oh, well what happened to it? Did it wilt, become discolored, or get spots?

Never sprouted lmao. I threw the seeds in a big ass pot of soil and watered it and it never did nothin

Porpoise101
February 21st, 2016, 01:16 AM
Never sprouted lmao. I threw the seeds in a big ass pot of soil and watered it and it never did nothin
Ohhh ok. I thought you got a start or something. Well my guess is that you put it in the soil too deep. The other guess is that you had bad seeds. If the area was too dark or humid then the seeds could have succumbed to fungus or mold.

Sailor Mars
February 21st, 2016, 01:19 AM
Ohhh ok. I thought you got a start or something. Well my guess is that you put it in the soil too deep. The other guess is that you had bad seeds. If the area was too dark or humid then the seeds could have succumbed to fungus or mold.

No idea lol. I didn't put I too deep but ye maybe humidity or somethin. It was rlly hot out so

JohnJack
March 12th, 2016, 06:00 PM
I actually used to garden a lot of vegetables and herbs when I was little. Mint grew really easily, but I also had courgettes, and pumpkins, and peas I think.