PDA

View Full Version : Coloring Hair?

xMetalxMachinex
February 20th, 2016, 05:07 PM
I'm gonna dye my hair green and I want it more long-term than temporary. What are your thoughts? Advice? Sugestions?
How would I go about doing this?

Fadedgeo
February 20th, 2016, 05:08 PM
you should go with a dirty sprite kind of look, purple that merges into blue

Karkat
February 20th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately, hair dye- ESPECIALLY bright unnatural colors- IS temporary. You'll simply have to redye it when it fades too much. There's not really a way to make it last longer than it'll last.

My best suggestions are to get it bleached first (by a salon so you don't kill your hair) so it'll show up more (you CAN put it over whatever color your hair is but it won't be guaranteed to look nice or even show up well- especially a color like green...) and wash your hair with cold water. DEFINITELY don't use hot water to wash your hair for sure. Also, try to stretch between washes. Go 2-3 days if possible (as repeated washes will fade it quicker.) use shampoo specifically for color-treated hair. Also be warned that it will get on EVERYTHING if you're not careful. Rinse it out REALLY good initially if you dye it at home. Don't use a light-colored pillowcase, or use one you don't care about as much.

I've only dyed my hair an unnatural color once so I don't have a lot of tips, but yeah. Hope that helped some.

Melodic
February 20th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Cheaper hairdye is not recommended. You might think you're getting a good bargain but cheaper dye can actually damage your hair and the dye will fade more quickly. If you buy more expensive hairdye, you'll actually be spending less because it lasts much longer in your hair and it will keep your hair in better shape.

West Coast Sheriff
February 20th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Bleach your hair very good first. Add a dark color because, it will fade quickly. Don't be frugal when dying it. Have something to do when waiting for it to dye. Expect your hair to be thinned out. When you are done, do a deep conditioning.

Desuetude
February 20th, 2016, 07:25 PM
I've gone green many a time and I'm currently neon green on the sides and gark green/blue on top (it looks complete shit but I'm sorting it tomorrow, the colours are cool though).

I'll give you my opinion which will probably be a lot different to other peoples. Buy your own bleach and developer, it's way cheaper and salons are shit. Depending on your hair colour you can buy either 20, 30 or 40 developer, if your hair is blonde go 20 but if it's brown or darker then go 30 (not 40 that burns like hell). Mix them 1 parts bleach powder to 1 part developer. Slap that on your hair for a bit, shove a plastic bag over it and keep checking it, once it's reached the desired tint of blonde (or you can stick to the timings on the bleach) wash it with warm water and shampoo (don't conditon yet). That's the bleaching done. (You may be a bit nervous at first but honestly, one bleach isn't going to make your hair fall out, just go for it.)

You don't get bright, unnatural colours in permanent colours so you're going to have to go semi-pemanent. I can recommend manic panic as a good brand that is quite long lasting (I've used three manic panic greens and all of them are pretty cool). Paint that dye onto your hair once it's dried completely (or if you buy another brand it might say onto towel dried, read instructions) and with semi permanent dye leave it on as long as possible, usually I put it on at night, wrap my head in clingfilm and wash it off in the shower in the morning. This means that the colour should be as vibrant as possible and because there's no peroxide in semi-dye there's no extra damage to the hair.

Wash that out with as cool a water as you can - which will prevent the dye from rinsing out too much - and condition like hell. If you can, try not to shampoo too often either because it will strip the dye quicker. Because my hair is so dry I actually don't shampoo at all other than after I have bleached/before I'm dying and I just use conditioner to clean my hair (as long as you buy sulphate free then you won't have oily hair either). Not using shampoo will also help with keeping the moisture in your hair after the bleach will have dried it out.

The dye should have come in a pot and if your hair is short you can usually get a couple of months (2-4) depending on whether you swim, how often you shower etc. out of one pot (about 10). You'll need to touch it up when the dye starts to fade, unfortunately but that just requires a quick shampoo, drying your hair, putting on the dye and then waiting (20 minutes +) before washing it out. It just becomes routine eventually.

So I hoped that somewhat helped, if you've got any specific questions just hit me with them.

Babs
February 20th, 2016, 07:32 PM
While most crazy hair colors are temporary, there are brands that last a really long time. The two brands I've used, Splat and Manic Panic, lasted months and they were still going strong when I dyed my hair back to brown. Of the two, I would recommend Manic Panic.

Semi_IronMan
February 22nd, 2016, 02:54 PM
Personally I wouldn't do it, but hey whatever floats your boat

Iri_dium
May 13th, 2016, 01:46 PM
I'm gonna dye my hair green and I want it more long-term than temporary. What are your thoughts? Advice? Sugestions?
How would I go about doing this?

Oh I understand you so much! I adore all that bright colours too :) But it's really a problem to keep it bright for a long time... The only thing which helps a bit is to wash it as rare as possible but it's not a good idea if your hair belongs to a greasy type :what:
Also if your natural colour is dark you'll need to bleach it before dying and such procedures cause really a damage to the hair :( It won't look healthy after such procedures, especially if you repeat them often :(
But the colour for almost a month will very cool :metal: So if you want, then simply do it ;)
Personally I alsi like the combining if different bright colours on the head like here (http://machohairstyles.com/incredible-hair-color-ideas-for-men/12/) :) Looks really impressive! :) But I suppose that such style will cost more than the usual one bright colour :eek:

Miss Ophelia
June 11th, 2016, 07:48 AM
I want green dreadlocks, but have to finish school first, otherwise they will likely send me home.

Croconaw
June 11th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Schools should let you have whatever color hair you want. It's a free country!

Cadanance00
June 11th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Green, purple or orange.

Would you believe my HS has a hair color code?

nebula
June 18th, 2016, 06:46 AM
^ my school has a hair colour code too. I'm blonde and I've been told I can't go anything darker than brown cause it's "unnatural". Not allowed it bleached either which is pretty stupid. So if I can't go dark brown, I obviously can't go unnatural colours.

Ranpo
July 4th, 2016, 10:29 PM
If you want permanent green hair invest in a good wig. That way you don't have to destroy your natural hair and you can flaunt your style.