PDA

View Full Version : Eczema

Endeavour
February 20th, 2016, 06:36 AM
I've had eczema all my life, but over the past few weeks it has become like really bad. When I was younger it was just on the backs of my arms and legs but now it is everywhere almost: stomach, ankles, feet. Everybody just says "just don't itch it" but that is a very difficult thing to do. Sometimes, I'm up until early morning (like today) because I simply can't get to sleep because I can't stop scratching, and then I'm really 'grumpy' in the mornings, which is really unlike me because I'm usually quite a happy person.
I've been to various GPs, even a dermatologist, all they do is say "don't scratch it and you'll be fine" and just prescribe a cream, I must have like 10 different types of creams in my house, all of them don't seem to work at all.
it's particularly bad on the backs of my legs, sometimes I wonder to myself at school during PE, whether the other boys are looking at it 'oddly' and it's come to the point where I don't want to do PE because I feel really self conscious about what others think of the 'look' of my legs.

Any advice? What can I do to 'stop itching'? and please don't just say 'don't itch it'

Thanks..

Desuetude
February 20th, 2016, 06:51 AM
I'm the same, had it since I was little and my parents use to have to tape oven gloves to my hands to stop me ripping my legs to shreds. Luckily I've grown out of it being horrendously bad and only get it in certain places like hands and the crease of my arm.

Did the dermatologist tell you which kind of eczema you have? I assume it's atopic which is the most common type and if so then I assume you've been prescribed hydrocortisone. You have to apply it regularly for it to take effect usually but other things I do that sometimes help are taking showers (colder ones are usually more soothing) or putting ice packs on the affected areas for a while. Also salt water surprisingly helps so if/when its warm enough and if you're able to get to the sea then paddling about can do absolute wonders. I've not tried making my own salt water to put on but that might work? You'd have to look it up. It stings like hell but it's worth it to get it to clear up.

Endeavour
February 20th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Did the dermatologist tell you which kind of eczema you have? I assume it's atopic which is the most common type and if so then I assume you've been prescribed hydrocortisone. You have to apply it regularly for it to take effect usually but other things I do that sometimes help are taking showers (colder ones are usually more soothing) or putting ice packs on the affected areas for a while.

I've been prescribed fluocinonide I think. I have tried the ice pack before, it works sometimes.

Desuetude
February 20th, 2016, 07:13 AM
I've been prescribed fluocinonide I think. I have tried the ice pack before, it works sometimes.
If you've not tried hydrocortisone before then I'd suggest giving it a go. In the UK its the generic cream for treating eczema. I found this (https://treato.com/Fluocinonide,Hydrocortisone/?a=s) comparison chart for the two of them and it seems that hydrocortisone is more effective at stopping the itching? But seeing as I've never been prescribed fluocinodine I can't say for sure. If the ice packs work then try making a tray of ice cubes and holding the ice on your skin for a while. It numbs it so you can't feel the itching and the cold water is simultaneously soothing.

Vermilion
February 20th, 2016, 07:18 AM
My sister has had if quite bad and my dad has it to. From what I know they use creams but I do remember mum putting oatmeal in the bath when my sister was younger. You could try that at night before you sleep. Also putting body oil in the bath

Endeavour
February 21st, 2016, 04:08 PM
I do remember mum putting oatmeal in the bath when my sister was younger.

There is a cream that I saw in boots here (https://www.aveeno.co.uk/products/cream) that I bought today, I used it after my shower, so far it seems alright.. thanks.